Stone Circle

lukethekid

3 hours ago, jimbarkanoodle said:

Always go up there once the music ends in the morning. Its a great place to chill out and continue to debauchery until you finally hit the wall.

Any wet blankets who avoid it or who mouths off about people doing drugs up there that they disapprove off should stay by the main stages for pop acts like Kylie Minogue then back to their tent by midnight, or better still do one to a soppy festival like WOMAD.

Bet you’re dead mad you aren’t ya 

• Upvote 1

The only two times that I went through this year it seemed so much better than previous. Normally we avoided it like the plague, but in 2017 my friend's choir were singing there (the ones all in red if anyone saw them) so we made several trips and it was the same old. Only heard two cracks of nos across the entire site this weekend, which is such a massive improvement on the last decade. 

Watched the sun come up on Sunday morning after a night in the SE Corner. People seemed friendly enough, didn't see much in the way of NOS canisters up there. 

As an aside, it's taken us 4 visits to realise you can cut out a massive dogleg by traversing the Stone Circle field and head to WH via GF. This seems so obvious now I'm actually a bit embarrassed ?

First time ever I haven't seen the sun rise at the stone circle. Kind of a tradition to do this at least once and for one reason or another never made it.

Walked through on Wednesday afternoon and it was super chilled out like it used to be years ago.

On the the subject of Nos its nowhere near as blatant as it used to be. 2010 was around its peak and was absolutely everywhere with people not even hiding it as they had no reason to.

Believe you me its still there and readily available. Walking back from the SE corner at 7 or 8 in the morning canisters where everywhere and I mean everywhere.

Poor litter pickers they must be the biggest pain in the ass ever.

I wandered up in the early hours of Sunday morning after Metallica in 2014

I got chatting to a couple who had been there since Weds and apart from walking to the nearest loo had not moved from the Stone Circle area.

If they ever stopped consuming then lord what a comedown that would be !

Edited by ivan

Up there for the fireworks on Wed, mate had brought one of the Swedish fire logs with him so we lit that up and had a nice few beers and smokes around it. Way less NOS than last time I was up there, felt more like when I started going in '09. Was nice.

The only thing that was getting on our nerves a bit was the people coming over to light their flares, but just squeezing between us and sticking it in the flames.  No "hey guys, do you mind?", no attempt at conversation, nothing.  Sounds like being an old fart I know, but it's a simple thing that makes for more conversations and more camaraderie up there.

@Sawdusty Surfer I never made it to CN to say hello and missed you at the meet, but are you still doing the Swedish fire logs?

Had a lovely time up there on (I think) Thursday, sat back in the shade and just people watching. At one point a fully nude elderly woman appeared out of nowhere and walked stoically through the heat, only to disappear into the ether. There was also a group of people dressed all in green who were running up to people and serenading them with instruments. Lovely chilled vibes all round. 

14 hours ago, lukethekid said:

Last time I was at Glastonbury was 2011, since then I’ve settled down an awful lot but I plan to make a return next year, hoping to secure tickets for me and my other half in October. My partner isn’t completely anti-drugs but she’s not really one to dabble in anything harder than a spliff, hearing reports sounding like there was people dabbling in really hard drugs up there is a bit worrying so I might just avoid the area as she certainly wouldn’t feel comfortable if it looked as if people were completely out of it. 

I think most of the festival people look like they are out of it...... people openly sniffing coke off credit cards in the crowd at the pyramid. I don’t mind a dabble late into the evening but I thought it was very obvious and open this year. 

19 minutes ago, waituntilspring said:

At one point a fully nude elderly woman appeared out of nowhere and walked stoically through the heat, only to disappear into the ether. There was also a group of people dressed all in green who were running up to people and serenading them with instruments.

Heatstroke can be a bitch ;)

31 minutes ago, Jamie 2194 said:

I think most of the festival people look like they are out of it...... people openly sniffing coke off credit cards in the crowd at the pyramid. I don’t mind a dabble late into the evening but I thought it was very obvious and open this year. 

Funnily, a (fairly straight-laced) friend of mine reminded me this year of us seeing that at the Sugababes show on the Pyramid in, err... 2005 according to Google. It's always gone on really... mostly people just hide it (and I can assure you after getting familiar with the police cells at the Bath & West Showground one year, it's a sensible idea!), but every now and again you're next to a crowd too far gone to care.

39 minutes ago, Magma said:

Funnily, a (fairly straight-laced) friend of mine reminded me this year of us seeing that at the Sugababes show on the Pyramid in, err... 2005 according to Google. It's always gone on really... mostly people just hide it (and I can assure you after getting familiar with the police cells at the Bath & West Showground one year, it's a sensible idea!), but every now and again you're next to a crowd too far gone to care.

I suppose the option of getting lifted is the lesser of two evils vrs the long drops ?

20 hours ago, Quark said:

@Sawdusty Surfer I never made it to CN to say hello and missed you at the meet, but are you still doing the Swedish fire logs?

I was far too busy this year to do the fire logs. It was an all new giant table and magic mushrooms this year and the table set was actually only finally completed on the Tuesday night after dark!

I expect that I'll be making more log candles next year, watch this space.

When I was up at The Stone Circle I did think that the place wood have been improved by them. I hardly saw any this year.

Edited by Sawdusty Surfer
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

I was far too busy this year to do the fire logs. It was an all new giant table and magic mushrooms this year and the table set was actually only finally completed on the Tuesday night after dark!

I expect that I'll be making more log candles next year, watch this space.

When I was up at The Stone Circle I did think that the place woud have been improved by them. I hardly saw any this year.

The table looked great, there must be a lot of hours in that! I didn't get a chance to sit at it tho, maybe next year...

The NOS brigade do seem to be avoiding the circle now and there were only a few people cracking them off when I went up there Thursday and Saturday nights. There were a few completely spangled people zoned out up there but no signs of trouble or them being in trouble.

NOS w*nkers are still chucking the empties all over the floor though - I picked up a dozen and dropped them in the can/bottle bin at the bottom of the hill (I don't understand why can't they use real drugs like the rest of us).

It still isn't back to how it was in 2011 (the first time I went) but it's a whole load better than 2015-2017 when empty NOS canisters were strewn all over the hill. 

Just need the brass band, drummers and the Umpha band I'm sure I danced to one year to return (maybe for 2020).

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

Cool, fingers crossed you'll be doing pre-orders again :)

I suspect that I'll be doing mainly pre-orders only next year as I don't go to the festival to work and hawking log candles up at the SS is a right pain in the ass and bloody hard work wheeling them from our place up the hill.

Will start a log candle thread next spring.

24 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

I suspect that I'll be doing mainly pre-orders only next year as I don't go to the festival to work and hawking log candles up at the SS is a right pain in the ass and bloody hard work wheeling them from our place up the hill.

Will start a log candle thread next spring.

How long do they burn for and how much do you charge good sir? 

I went there Saturday afternoon to kiss one of the stones and pay my respects to Glastonburys past, which I do every year. But that was my only visit apart from when using it as a cut through a couple of times. It is a special place but doesn't hold the draw for me it once did. I put that down to over familiarity though really.

Remember Banksys Portaloo version in the same field!? Loved that!

Finish most nights off up there, but arrive after about 6am. Monday morning was the busiest I saw it. Def not as much nos now which is great. 

I went to the Glastonbury sign one night instead, stayed about 5 mins, not the same vibe at all

3 hours ago, waltere said:

Might just have been me but NOS use seemed to be way down all over the site this year, not just at the stone circle. Still definitely there but way, way down from the unavoidable, endless levels of the previous few.

On Friday morning I was walking along and had just said exactly this to my wife - then stumbled over a huge NOS waste pile. This was right outside Beat Hotel though, and was the only time we saw them there, despite walking past every day. 

On 7/4/2019 at 3:17 PM, waituntilspring said:

Had a lovely time up there on (I think) Thursday, sat back in the shade and just people watching. At one point a fully nude elderly woman appeared out of nowhere and walked stoically through the heat, only to disappear into the ether. There was also a group of people dressed all in green who were running up to people and serenading them with instruments. Lovely chilled vibes all round. 

Yeah I saw that. Bet she is a druidess or something cos she was holding a staff. Reminded me of the Game of Thrones scene when the Red witch takes off her necklace and you see she is hundreds of years old.

10 hours ago, lukethekid said:

How long do they burn for and how much do you charge good sir? 

Usually £14 ish but do mates rates for eFesters. Cordwood by the cubic meter has rocketed in price in the last couple of years so I'd have to recalculate. Will be affordable and happyness/spend ratio is good.

Burn for 2 1/2+ hours. Sometimes 4 hours.