Stone Circle

lukethekid

1 hour ago, cb4747 said:

We visited quite frequently. We saw a few people who looked like they had been using much harder drugs and it put us off. Was nice to sit and chill in the peace garden though. 

I’ve always thought that the must surely be a very small percentage who attend the festival who are taking the heavy gear. 

Nasty business those nos canisters, I always think that for something that lasts for such a short amount of time is it really worth the amount of waste that is left behind?

9 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

I went up for the first time in years. It was disgusting years ago with those nos canisters and it put me off.

Didn't seem to bad this year.

The nos situation is getting better. The steward team up there have been battling it for years and as much as there was still nos been sold and taken this year it wasn't even close to the amount present in 2016 and 2017. It drove away the drummers for quite a few years too, it was amazing to see so many of them back this year

Walked past it at least twice a day to/from WV and Pennards lock up and cut through several times but it no longer holds a draw for me, much rather be lower down in the Greenfields.

Must be 20 years since I’ve sat up there at night

13 minutes ago, Beergirl said:

The nos situation is getting better. The steward team up there have been battling it for years and as much as there was still nos been sold and taken this year it wasn't even close to the amount present in 2016 and 2017. It drove away the drummers for quite a few years too, it was amazing to see so many of them back this year

Glad th hear the drummers are back, I used to love the atmosphere up there before NOS Tom over. We only got up there once this year and it was fairly quiet.

We were there for an hour or so late night Saturday.  It was great.  We heard hardly any Nos, maybe 2 or 3 in that time.  The drummers were drumming, there were small bonfires, really chilled atmosphere and not too many people.

Edited by fatyeti24

Fraction of the NOS trouble now, basically not an issue at all. Was pretty much solved in '17 and sounded like it should again was rather emotional.

However it's lost so much of it's draw with the non-stop action entertainment that it's pretty quiet and a bit more of a nostalgic trip than the grand gathering of the people it used to be as dawn approached.

Last time I was at Glastonbury was 2011, since then I’ve settled down an awful lot but I plan to make a return next year, hoping to secure tickets for me and my other half in October. My partner isn’t completely anti-drugs but she’s not really one to dabble in anything harder than a spliff, hearing reports sounding like there was people dabbling in really hard drugs up there is a bit worrying so I might just avoid the area as she certainly wouldn’t feel comfortable if it looked as if people were completely out of it. 

? I didn't see anything like that on a few passes through and a couple of stops. 

Much more likely to see that in the messier bits of the SE corner.

But what's 'really hard drugs'? Not seen anyone shooting up at Glasto ever, and people get completely out of it on alcohol quite easily.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, frostypaw said:

? I didn't see anything like that on a few passes through and a couple of stops. 

Much more likely to see that in the messier bits of the SE corner.

But what's 'really hard drugs'? Not seen anyone shooting up at Glasto ever, and people get completely out of it on alcohol quite easily.

It was just what wasn’t mentioned earlier in the thread, I thought maybe people smoking spice? I’ve never saw anyone shooting up at a festival but surely it happens somewhere? 

1 minute ago, lukethekid said:

It was just what wasn’t mentioned earlier in the thread, I thought maybe people smoking spice? I’ve never saw anyone shooting up at a festival but surely it happens somewhere? 

If you're going to assume the worst when you see someone having a bit too much or a bad time you're going to see horrors everywhere at festivals from anyone a little too wrecked on anything no matter how 'hard' whatever they had actually was. Could you actually be sure what you watched was someone smoking spice or just someone who'd had a few drinks and their first drag on a spliff in years?

People want to be ok and have a good time tomorrow too.

It wasn’t me who mentioned people on harder stuff man. It was just what I assumed after a comment from someone else earlier in the thread. My other half understands people at festivals will take this and that, she’s not arsed really about that she just doesn’t swing that way herself and might find it slightly uncomfortable being sat amongst people tootin’ rock ?

It seemed to be predominantly people on ket up there (that probably goes for the entire festival too). I was up there every night after the music and a couple of times before. Everybody was as chatty and welcoming as usual. If anybody is really that judgemental then I don't think it is the place for them, to be fair, though I imagine people would still be happy to chat to them about it. 

I spent alot of time up there in the shade of that beautiful tree. Got talking to a botanist and a celtic/ druidic poet both of whom were drawn to the tree for somewhat sacred reasons. A sort of encounter you only have at Glastonbury. 

We loved it up there, great atmosphere, loved the old guy carrying around his bass guitar and lighting joints using a magnifying glass. 

8 hours ago, lukethekid said:

Last time I was at Glastonbury was 2011, since then I’ve settled down an awful lot but I plan to make a return next year, hoping to secure tickets for me and my other half in October. My partner isn’t completely anti-drugs but she’s not really one to dabble in anything harder than a spliff, hearing reports sounding like there was people dabbling in really hard drugs up there is a bit worrying so I might just avoid the area as she certainly wouldn’t feel comfortable if it looked as if people were completely out of it. 

It's mostly ket, coke, mdma - I don't think we've ever encountered spice, crack or heroin up there, but you never know. And those who have dabbled quite a bit don't really appear until after the music finishes in SE corner around 6am, so any other time it's nice and chill really. Drummers, fires, candles and joints. Nice place to be. Except for Sunday night. Then it goes nuts 

Edited by Beergirl

The drummers were indeed back and the atmos was much a return to the traditional. They were even selling flares as you entered Kings Meadow so people could huddle round one in their groups. Not many peeps there though, and never saw any fire juggling or anything like what performance used to dominate the field. Like has been said, its a chill out area rather than a go to area now and since the extension of the site up the hill at 'flagtopia' its not necessarily even the best view of the site from there which used to draw peeps up. Some other acticites that used to take place from there have been banned, eg launching lanterns. The Gaia's Guardians dont appear to be singing up there any more either. Its most busy during the bonfire and fireworks now I suppose.

Always go up there once the music ends in the morning. Its a great place to chill out and continue to debauchery until you finally hit the wall.

Any wet blankets who avoid it or who mouths off about people doing drugs up there that they disapprove off should stay by the main stages for pop acts like Kylie Minogue then back to their tent by midnight, or better still do one to a soppy festival like WOMAD.

• Downvote 5

Seemed a lot quieter this year.... maybe the other areas are swallowing people, but it was almost back as a chilled out space when I visited around 1am on Wednesday night. Only one group of people up there around some flares... I fell asleep in the grass.

• Upvote 1