Glastonbury fan 'loses £16k' over VIP tickets

dulcificum

2 minutes ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

The social divide is the huge pay disparity, not a post knocking the rich FFS.

These things need to be called out. Don't fall for the rich man's shite story. You'll be telling us all about the benefits of 'trickle down economics' next!

Haha. 

He's been conned out of money here and you think that's OK because he's rich? People sympathising with other human beings when they have been screwed is a completely different thing to supporting the current financial system. 

The people conning him are probably richer than him. 

39 minutes ago, carlosj said:

Done it for you.

if anyone else wants a luxury experience, for £8k I'll lend you my van, wheel you through Gate C in my trolley and wear a variety of celebrity masks.

That's celebrity, not gimp.

How much with gimp masks? £9k?

1 minute ago, gherkin8r said:

Haha. 

He's been conned out of money here and you think that's OK because he's rich? People sympathising with other human beings when they have been screwed is a completely different thing to supporting the current financial system. 

The people conning him are probably richer than him. 

No.

I think pulling someone up for questioning how much he is paid Vs his staff is wrong. 

That is a question that should be being asked far and wide.

I guess you think differently.

8 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Windinglake farm! I was overjoyed to see that it’s right next to the Oxfam staff field ??? so they’re shelling out many thousands for showers, food and comfy camping just outside gate B, and I did three eight hours shift for virtually the same thing (the car park is next door, so I took fleeces and duvets, tent carpet etc etc): BUT they can get a golf buggy to take em down the road ? well worth the dollar eh 

That’s the one! Had a look out of curiosity and the DIY tent pitch states “Don’t turn up with anything too ugly as we won’t let you put it up or park it. If you’re bringing your own motorhome or tent it is only a space we offer (no power or water will be provided). However, if you want to spend £1,800+VAT we will provide you with power, water and take all the nasties away.”. 

For £1600 I’ll turn up with a cardboard box and pitch it if I want to!

Your way sounds much better!

3 minutes ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

No.

I think pulling someone up for questioning how much he is paid Vs his staff is wrong. 

That is a question that should be being asked far and wide.

I guess you think differently.

I don't think differently. I have no idea how much he pays his staff. Do you think people working at Glastonbury being paid the equivalent of £250 odd for 3 x 8 hour shifts (which likely reduce the value of their ticket significantly) needs to be questioned as well? Or do you get to choose who we question and who we don't? 

3 minutes ago, Benja100 said:

I don’t find ‘hate the rich’ or ‘eat the rich’ to help social cohesiveness at all. Don’t put words in my mouth. It’s inevitable that a rich country will have rich people in. Why hate them all? I’m not prejudiced against any group and find prejudice to be divisive in all its forms. 

Social cohesion would be helped enormously by paying the living wage.

Are you sure your not prejudiced?

Prejudice: preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience

How do you not know this guy hasn’t  worked 15 hour days for years to build a successful company. Let’s just shoot him down for being able to attend a festival he loves in a slightly more high end way, however we will stand and adore the celebs/performers flown in by helicopter and paid high fees to attend Glastonbury for 2 hours. It’s a shame when we throw class into such a thread.

he got ripped off.... end of.

1 minute ago, gherkin8r said:

I don't think differently. I have no idea how much he pays his staff. Do you think people working at Glastonbury being paid the equivalent of £250 odd for 3 x 8 hour shifts (which likely reduce the value of their ticket significantly) needs to be questioned as well? Or do you get to choose who we question and who we don't? 

Nope, your getting me wrong.

I've had a fair old rant on here about the way the clean-up crew contracts are structured and I've had a lot of pushback from those that believe Glastonbury Festivals and the Eavis' can do no wrong. They can and they do.

Back to the point. People shot NOT be pulled up for questioning the actions of the rich. Frankly it's about time the rich started answering for their behaviours. They don't need people on here to defend them.

Am I totally missing something or is there any suggestion this man is paying people less than the living wage? 

Or have you just totally derailed the debate with baseless allegations or to quote you a 

4 minutes ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience

3 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

Am I totally missing something or is there any suggestion this man is paying people less than the living wage? 

Or have you just totally derailed the debate with baseless allegations or to quote you a 

Yes your missing my point.

5 minutes ago, Jamie 2194 said:

How do you not know this guy hasn’t  worked 15 hour days for years to build a successful company. Let’s just shoot him down for being able to attend a festival he loves in a slightly more high end way, however we will stand and adore the celebs/performers flown in by helicopter and paid high fees to attend Glastonbury for 2 hours. It’s a shame when we throw class into such a thread.

he got ripped off.... end of.

OMG ?

2 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

You're doing a great job getting across 

One last go.

My point was that  @Benja100' pulling @GETOFFAMYLAWN up for questioning how much he is paid Vs his staff is wrong'

I don't care about this individual at all.

BTW you do know that the living wage is not the same thing as the minimum wage don't you?

For me the bad guys here as someone else said are the people who sold him the tickets and let him down. The larger point being that they are privately profiting from this endeavour when the festival could be taking these huge fees and the proceeds being directed to worthy causes. 

Of course there's a wider question around living wage and wealth inequality but I don't see that it's necessarily relevant here and I certainly don't decide whether or not to support someone who appears to be a victim of some wrong based on their wealth or any other means of dividing society into different groups. 

4 minutes ago, Benja100 said:

I don't see how you can think that people are 'getting you wrong', your opinions are plain to see.  

Comments such as 'actions of the rich' for example, 'time the rich started answering for their behaviours'.  You try to swap another group into that sentence and read it back, not a good look.  You are characterising / stereotyping a group of people & their behaviour based on one characteristic.

Also, you are not the arbiter of this forum.  I will defend any group that I feel is being subject to ignorance, stereotyping, discrimination, prejudice etc.  I don't think all 'rich' people are 'x' or behave in a certain way and wouldn't apply that to any social, racial, class group or whatever.  Like I said before this attitude is very much part of the problem in our society.

I'm not 'defending the rich', I am calling out stereotyping.

That's it in a nutshell and put way more articulately than I could manage

2 minutes ago, Benja100 said:

I don't see how you can think that people are 'getting you wrong', your opinions are plain to see.  

Comments such as 'actions of the rich' for example, 'time the rich started answering for their behaviours'.  You try to swap another group into that sentence and read it back, not a good look.  You are characterising / stereotyping a group of people & their behaviour based on one characteristic.

Also, you are not the arbiter of this forum.  I will defend any group that I feel is being subject to ignorance, stereotyping, discrimination, prejudice etc.  I don't think all 'rich' people are 'x' or behave in a certain way and wouldn't apply that to any social, racial, class group or whatever.  Like I said before this attitude is very much part of the problem in our society.

I'm not 'defending the rich', I am calling out stereotyping.

Your an apologist.

The rich, as a group, not individuals, must be questioned and questioned hard.

I do not appreciate your attempts at drawing parallels with the persecuted minorities of this world.

I suggest you go and have a long hard think about inequality in this world and where it stems from.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

One last go.

My point was that  @Benja100' pulling @GETOFFAMYLAWN up for questioning how much he is paid Vs his staff is wrong'

I don't care about this individual at all.

BTW you do know that the living wage is not the same thing as the minimum wage don't you?

But @benja100 didn’t pull @getoffmylawn for asking the question about the wage gap in the guy in questions company.... he simply said it should be looked at as a separate issue 

Calling him an “ugly dickhead” when there was at that point no knowledge of how this guy ran his company was unhelpful... we should always seek to better inform ourselves before shouting strong opinions/accusations 

Someone else took the time to do exactly this and it turns out the guy has liquidated multiple companies fairly recently, consequently seeing other companies/people out of their hard earned money so it turns out the “ugly dickhead” comment may well have been right 

Edited by Meatball

17 minutes ago, tumbles said:

Seems the only way to tighten down on this happening year after year is for these types of tickets to be tied down to specific users again. Maybe RF tech like the epo’s next year - named tickets or nothing 

They are named. Some exec at Sony or EE has an allocation of, say, 100 tix. He puts 80 of his team's names on the list and then sells the right to put your name on the list for £x to a broker or just a mate. The real way to stop it would be for the festival themselves to manage the lists directly as they do for the super rare AAA and BAA passes for performers and other bigwigs. I saw a couple of the AAA passes and they were all named and had the name of the group you were part of on. One was a tame impala band member and his pass said so and the other guy's pass, rather hilariously, just said "jack" in the Glastonbury font. Must have been an Eavis or similar.

6 minutes ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

Your an apologist.

The rich, as a group, not individuals, must be questioned and questioned hard.

I do not appreciate your attempts at drawing parallels with the persecuted minorities of this world.

I suggest you go and have a long hard think about inequality in this world and where it stems from.

@Benja100 is just viewing this person as an individual and judging the situation objectively rather than through some divisive lens. 

2 minutes ago, Meatball said:

But @benja100 didn’t pull @getoffmylawn for asking the question about the wage gap in the guy in questions company.... he simply said it should be looked at as a separate issue 

Calling him an “ugly dickhead” when there was at that point no knowledge of how this guy ran his company was unhelpful... we should always seek to better inform ourselves before shouting strong opinions/accusations 

Someone else took the time to do exactly this and it turns out the guy has liquidated multiple companies fairly recently, consequently seeing other companies/people out of their hard earned money so it turns out the “ugly dickhead” may well have been right 

There is/was a strong overtone of rich privilege throughout this thread. Denying that is plain wrong. 

@Benja100 seems to regard them as an opressed minority and would like us to be nice to them (or at least not dare challenge them). Again, just plain wrong.

Meanwhile @GETOFFAMYLAWN seems to have almost paranormal skills at identifying a wrong-un from the off.

Not sure about the 'ugly', that is subjective but he's not my type ?