Glastonbury fan 'loses £16k' over VIP tickets

dulcificum

I studied economics at university but have forgotten most of it and am largely uninterested in that side of the discussion, particularly in relation to this specific incident. 

What I do find interesting is the sociological aspect and how quick people are to take a dislike to someone based on a single characteristic (in this case wealth). Its the presupposition that because someone is wealthy they are some combination of bad/ immoral/ inherently evil or at best lucky/ privileged. This irrational belief then justifies their hatred to themselves and allows them to suspend their normal rational thinking on topics such as justice as though they are working towards some higher moral crusade. "Fuck him he's minted anyway, no sympathy" seems to be the general consensus among many. 

The irony is that they are just the equivalent of the people on the other side who see the poor as layabouts, thieves, drains on society. It's hatred borne of (and/or justified by) lazy stereotyping in both cases and is divisive.

Edited by gherkin8r

17 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

This irrational belief then justifies their hatred to themselves and allows them to suspend their normal rational thinking on topics such as justice as though they are working towards some higher moral crusade. "Fuck him he's minted anyway, no sympathy" seems to be the general consensus among many. 

The irony is that they are just the equivalent of the people on the other side who see the poor as layabouts, thieves, drains on society. It's hatred borne of (and/or justified by) lazy stereotyping in both cases and is divisive.

Yeah saying you have no sympathy for the bloke is the same as hating an entire group of people and calling them scroungers and lazy.

Real big brained centirist hours going on in this thread. 

15 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

"Fuck him he's minted anyway, no sympathy" seems to be the general consensus among many.

You hear the same in relation to big companies when people managed to get one over on them (e.g. getting something for free because the barcode wasn't scanned, returning something they've broken and claiming it was broken when delivered etc.) "Doesn't matter, it's just a big corporation, they can afford it", they say.

Not sure how people don't realise that even big corporations were started by somebody and invested in by people, many of which aren't super-rich, especially if their shares are traded publicly. They describe them as "faceless corporations", simply because they can't see the faces.

9 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Yeah saying you have no sympathy for the bloke is the same as hating an entire group of people and calling them scroungers and lazy.

Real big brained centirist hours going on in this thread. 

It is if you are saying you are trying to justify your lack of sympathy by referencing his wealth. That has been the case numerous times in this thread. 

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 9:54 PM, Superscally said:

My heart bleeds.

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 9:58 PM, HalfAnIdiot said:

Poor guy, what a shame....

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 10:08 PM, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Would be interested to know how much the lowest paid staff at his firm are earning. A year's take-home for a lot of people the ugly dickhead pissed up the wall.

Eat the rich.

Those just from the first 5 or 6 responses

24 upvotes for the last one before any actual due diligence was done on the guy

Loads of backtracking later in the thread but the overriding tone was full of hatred and it is pretty sad for everyone involved

Obviously some of those responses are going to be making a judgement of the guy cos he's well off, but when we all have to try on ticket day and this guy is moaning he didn't get to hang out with celebs then I can't say I feel too bad for him. You pay thousands to hang out with celebs and can't isn't the sob story he thinks it is. 

The company are the scummiest ones though, the bloke should get his money back. 

56 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

Loads of backtracking later in the thread but the overriding tone was full of hatred and it is pretty sad for everyone involved

No backtracking from me. If he can afford to blow money like that on a whim, I don't really give a shit what happens to his financial situation unless it puts his family in the street. Still no shits given. 

39 minutes ago, Superscally said:

No backtracking from me. If he can afford to blow money like that on a whim, I don't really give a shit what happens to his financial situation unless it puts his family in the street. Still no shits given. 

Genuine question, do you consier yourself to be a "nice", or "fair" person?

2 hours ago, gherkin8r said:

I don't recall any backtracking. Have we been reading the same thread? My comment is not particularly incisive and I could have done better. I'm really drawn to the rebellious nature of the last one tho and it makes a nice point about the issue of pay disparity in an amusing way, which even the Tory party has paid lip service to.

I think your out on a limb here really.

1 hour ago, Slugworth said:

What if the rich guy jumps the fence to get in?

Ahhh, very good question. I wonder if he thought of that.

I'd cheer him on as I would with any fence jumper. 

Perhaps we should have a special VIP fence for such an occasion.  ????

9 minutes ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

FFS, do you? You've been pretty insulting on this thread. ?

My question was specificlaly about somebody with different politics to me, to see if they equated their political beliefs with "niceness and fairness", because my suspicion about people who have economically left leaning politics is that they think they are nicer or fairer people, which I don't think this is true.

But if you want to make this about me than I think I've been pretty fair in this thread. I've called out stupidity and hypocrisy where I've seen it but I don't think I've been overly rude.

2 minutes ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

What's the view like from that high horse your on?

Good explanation :)

See, this is the problem, you can't argue with a logical point, you just evade it. This is why it's impossible to argue with people like you and it's why people get annoyed and resort to insults.

Just now, bombfrog said:

My question was specificlaly about somebody with different politics to me, to see if they equated their political beliefs with "niceness and fairness", because my suspicion about people who have economically left leaning politics is that they think they are nicer or fairer people, which I don't think this is true.

But if you want to make this about me than I think I've been pretty fair in this thread. I've called out stupidity and hypocrisy where I've seen it but I don't think I've been overly rude.

Nope you've been a bit of an arrogant arse at times on this thread (see above).

Just now, bombfrog said:

Good explanation :)

See, this is the problem, you can't argue with a logical point, you just evade it. This is why it's impossible to argue with people like you and it's why people get annoyed and resort to insults.

Well, rhetoric is a valid debating technique. 

2 minutes ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

Well, rhetoric is a valid debating technique. 

I give up. I've no idea what you're banging on about now.

I've completely lost any sense of what your point was all along, something vague about "holding rich people to account", which seems to basically translate as "it's fine to hate people with money". At no point has there been any explanation of your viewpoint, so I respectfully bow out of this argument as there's only a certain amount of time you can spend banging your head against a brick wall.

1 hour ago, bombfrog said:

Genuine question, do you consier yourself to be a "nice", or "fair" person?

That's not for me to judge, but you're getting confused with how I would feel if someone lost that amount of money with a normal job, with how I feel about someone with a huge amount of money that got most of what he paid for, but feels aggrieved that he hasn't had the moon on a stick. Do I think he has a right to feel upset that he didn't get exactly what he thought he paid for? Yep. Should he have some form of recourse against what is obviously a gang of fly-by-nights? Of course. Am I going to lose sleep over it? No. Will I lose sleep over other more pressing issues? Yes. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bombfrog said:

I give up. I've no idea what you're banging on about now.

I've completely lost any sense of what your point was all along, something vague about "holding rich people to account", which seems to basically translate as "it's fine to hate people with money". At no point has there been any explanation of your viewpoint, so I respectfully bow out of this argument as there's only a certain amount of time you can spend banging your head against a brick wall.

Don't put words in my mouth please. 

I've made it repeatedly clear I don't hate the rich.

I've also made it repeatedly clear that those with the power to improve society should be held to account to do so.

Think how far we have come since the industrial revolution in terms of building a fairer society. That came from the politics of holding the rich and powerful to account.

We need to continue that work. Or would you rather go back to the dark and satanic mills?

• Upvote 1