Glastonbury fan 'loses £16k' over VIP tickets

dulcificum

What people seem to forget is that your level of wealth changes.

People aren't "rich people" or "poor people", they are "people who currently have a relatively large amount of money" and "people who currently have a relatively low amount of money".

I've found myself firmly in the first group in the past and at some points definitely in the last, I've even been in the "technically has no money at all due to massive debt" group, but funnily enough I've always been the same person, so I don't know what that says about some people's lazy stereotypes?

Edited by bombfrog

43 minutes ago, Benja100 said:

No-one made your second point and that isn't a Tory point, any more than it would be a Labour point that anyone who doesn't want to get a job doesn't have to, ever and will get a house, benefits and a free car.  The point is actually more nuanced - that someone doesn't deserve to be condemned and looked down on as some social pariah, as a result of being successful.  You have no idea what that person does & how they live, they will likely be paying a hell of a lot more tax than the average person that's for sure.  And before we get the inevitable comments about tax avoidance, remember that the top 1% of earners pay 28% of the tax take in the UK.  

Anyway, this type of simplistic polarising tribalistic politics is tearing the country apart at the moment and I can't see any benefit. The majority of people in this country vote Tory or Labour you cant ascribe an attitude to them based on that alone, people have all sorts of reasons and beliefs for voting how they do

My second point has been made in this thread:

"So Rich and hard working deserve scrutiny however the lazy and poor people of the world who choose not to work hard should be given the right to blame the people who carve out a career and work long hours for what they have.... get a grip people. "

Yeah the guy doesn't deserve to be looked down upon for being successful, but does it mean I feel sympathy for him? No. Do I think he should get his money back? Yes. Does the fact he pays more tax than many of us mean anything? No.

Also, that 28% of tax figure (which really means they just pay 28% of income tax) sounds shocking until you learn that the top 1% have as much wealth as around 55% of the population. 

1 hour ago, Benja100 said:

It is highly unlikely for a company to commit a criminal act through this type of breach of supply contract, it is unlikely to be fraud as the company was simply a day late in delivering the ticket from what I can see.  Do you consider it a rip off, fraud, criminal, when Amazon fails a delivery to you by a day or so.

No-one made your second point and that isn't a Tory point, any more than it would be a Labour point that anyone who doesn't want to get a job doesn't have to, ever and will get a house, benefits and a free car.  The point is actually more nuanced - that someone doesn't deserve to be condemned and looked down on as some social pariah, as a result of being successful.  You have no idea what that person does & how they live, they will likely be paying a hell of a lot more tax than the average person that's for sure.  And before we get the inevitable comments about tax avoidance, remember that the top 1% of earners pay 28% of the tax take in the UK.  

Anyway, this type of simplistic polarising tribalistic politics is tearing the country apart at the moment and I can't see any benefit. The majority of people in this country vote Tory or Labour you cant ascribe an attitude to them based on that alone, people have all sorts of reasons and beliefs for voting how they do

It a civil offence if anything, not criminal. Same goes for you Amazon comparison. Just thought you should know.

As for the  nonsense that anyone who doesn't want to work will get a free house and car, I'm just flabbergasted at your ignorance but I suppose it explains a lot of the other stuff you post.

No-one made your second point and that isn't a Tory point

"So Rich and hard working deserve scrutiny however the lazy and poor people of the world who choose not to work hard should be given the right to blame the people who carve out a career and work long hours for what they have" 

Plus of course your own sweeping generalisation "I wonder if it was the rich attendees who slash all the tents, leave 1000’s of nitrous canisters behind, and go into other people’s tents with torches and rob them at knifepoint

May I ask what's your source for global income data? 

People who have compared this to other purchases aren't comparing like with like - he bought two items as (un/officially) anyone does with those accommodation + ticket arrangements. So you capitalists (as opposed to all the Marxists here ffs) should compare it more accurately to when you buy two things and one is delayed or doesn't work out. The delayed bit was the 500 quid tickets, clearly we all believe the two only have intrinsic value together, but perhaps their terms exclude the ticket being guaranteed. 

I sympathise him, but I still think he's daft, as I'd expect him to think of me when I've transferred significant sums for holidays using ill advised methods.

In my case I did what little checking I could to see where my money was going, I haven't noticed this organisation name on here before and am unaware if this chap made his own checks as to their validity. 

Edited by clarkete

10 hours ago, Jamie 2194 said:

More then you know, if you took time to read people’s posts you would see I struggled to save a business for 3 years not paying myself for 15 months and managing to protect 22 peoples employment at the same time.....nearly lost my home, my marriage and my mind.... so please do me a favour and just fucking do one you patronising twat..... this forum isn't for you. FULL IDIOT

What makes you think you get to decide who the forum is and isn’t for? 

10 hours ago, Mardy said:

I’m here to pour oil on troubled waters. Where there is discord I shall bring harmony

From reading about it, I’m pretty confident in saying that everyone involved in this situation is somewhere on the line between c**t and bellend. Ain’t no-one coming out of it looking good. 

That was my original point. It is possible to dislike everyone involved in this. Including lots of the people posting in this thread. The Glastonbury comedown will do that to you.

9 hours ago, Benja100 said:

Just pointing this out but you contribute almost no tax at all.  I don't know if you use the NHS, local schools, roads, Police, etc.  Or whether you receive one of the myriad of welfare payments available in this country or not.

Worth knowing that for the average person in the UK until you earn over roughly £38k you are a net drain on public funds 

You seem to think that it is morally wrong for people to not live like you and you look down your noses at them but if everyone lived like you the country would be one of the poorest and most deprived in the world

I Don’t know why you’ve decided to mount the barricades you have, but this is getting very unpleasant here.

12 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

What makes you think you get to decide who the forum is and isn’t for? 

No you are right and I apologise. It isn’t for me though. A group of keyboard warriors who do nothing to change the world apart from lambast other people on here.... a great diverse festival we all attend and love. Anyone mention the £30,000 it cost to get Kylie into Glastonbury and then onto Cornwall for another gig, no we all jumped around and enjoyed the show. Have a great year folks but this isn’t healthy and a good use of time. I have work to do.

1 hour ago, Jamie 2194 said:

No you are right and I apologise. It isn’t for me though. A group of keyboard warriors who do nothing to change the world apart from lambast other people on here.... a great diverse festival we all attend and love. Anyone mention the £30,000 it cost to get Kylie into Glastonbury and then onto Cornwall for another gig, no we all jumped around and enjoyed the show. Have a great year folks but this isn’t healthy and a good use of time. I have work to do.

Apology accepted. But really you have no idea what people here do or don't do in the real world.

I suggest you re-read what I wrote as you have misunderstood it, here you go, please de-flabbergast yourself:

"that isn't a Tory point, any more than it would be a Labour point that anyone who doesn't want to get a job doesn't have to, ever and will get a house, benefits and a free car.  The point is actually more nuanced..."

Ok, i've reread it and concluded in makes very little sense to me. I really do not understand what you are trying to say.

14 hours ago, Benja100 said:

Just pointing this out but you contribute almost no tax at all.  I don't know if you use the NHS, local schools, roads, Police, etc.  Or whether you receive one of the myriad of welfare payments available in this country or not.

Worth knowing that for the average person in the UK until you earn over roughly £38k you are a net drain on public funds 

You seem to think that it is morally wrong for people to not live like you and you look down your noses at them but if everyone lived like you the country would be one of the poorest and most deprived in the world

I think this says a lot about how you value someone's worth to society.

You are Jacob Reese-Mogg and I claim my five guineas ??

2 hours ago, Benja100 said:

That was one point made by one person and you're saying that is a Tory point.  You're using a capital T so you're assigning that view as a Tory viewpoint.  I am saying it is not, any more than it would be a Labour viewpoint that no-one should have to work if they don't want to or unlimited immigrants should come here.

Of course there is a concentration of wealth in a capitalist system.  Inevitably some people will be ingenious, lucky enough or willing to take risks or work harder than others and start enterprises that create wealth.  A hell of a lot of people will  lose everything and end off poor as a result of trying and failing too.  The concentration of wealth is irrelevant, without the ability for people to make and keep money there would be no competition, no aspiration, no motivation.  You are also lumping a lot of poor people into a group when the reality is a huge number of them are earning and simply spending every penny they get without saving anything, and relying 100% on the state to bail them out should they lose their job, become ill, or retire. 

You can see the dismal repressive circumstances of existence in every attempted Communist state in the world to date where capitalism was not allowed to thrive.  People were murdered by their own state for opposing it, and murdered for trying to leave. 

You may find it unpalatable that there are a small number of very rich people but 28% of the income tax take is substantial.

Contrary to the idiotic thinking of the hard left and the blithering idiot Corbyn who hasn't the wit to debate his way out of a paper bag, and in fact one half idiot on here, 'the rich' are not a pot of money, some of them are sitting on relatively small reserves of cash in the scheme of things, but that would be nothing if it was commandeered by the government.  The UK Treasury budget is £800bn a year.  James Dyson is one of the richest men in the UK.  If you took all his money away, and why the fuck should you, his £12bn would be spent in a few weeks and then do you think he'd bother running his company any more, employing thousands of people, producing goods sold in shops that employ thousands of people, all of whom pay income tax and other spending taxes.  Of course he wouldn't.  And if a regime like that came in he would fuck off somewhere less oppressive and there would be a massive contraction of our economy.  And then what would happen?  'the rich' would become people earning relatively modest wages and they would be taxed to death etc.

You are making huge leaps that have little foundation in what has been said. 

It reads as if you are a neo-liberal who sees ANY holding to account of the rich and powerful a bad thing. 

Frankly it's all coming across as a little bit preachy.

12 hours ago, TheGoodWillOut said:

Can someone tell me at what point you’re classed as rich?   

Good question.

Most of the people on here moaning about wealth inequality have no idea they are in the top 2% of the richest people who have ever lived.

Tweeting anti-capitalist tweets on their fucking iphones - it's hysterical!  

15 minutes ago, Benja100 said:

person A, who makes very little contribution financially to the state, or in fact is a net drain

I'll just point out that I pay the same council tax as everyone else (it amounts to around 8% of my annual takehome pay) and as a council tenant I pay a further 40% of my income directly to my local authority.  I do all my own repairs and the council make a nice income profit from my tenancy.  When I am gone the house remains an asset for the authority and a home for new tenants.  Nearly half my income goes straight to the state, thanks.  As ever, it should be mentioned that council tax is higher as a proportion of income for those at the lowest end of the income scale.

I have also worked for 30 years and for much of that was in the higher tax bracket, I'm a disabled person who now works part time in my later years, I receive no benefits, I have very little expectation of living to pension age due to my condition and my NI contributions will go to the state.  Thanks again for the character assassination, I can see you really want to run with that.

13 hours ago, Benja100 said:

And before we get the inevitable comments about tax avoidance, remember that the top 1% of earners pay 28% of the tax take in the UK.  

That's not true, but at least you've corrected that today to income tax, rather than repeating the Tory government propoganda (which you can't dispute in this case).

https://fullfact.org/economy/do-top-1-earners-pay-28-tax-burden/ 

My guess is that you're aware that poorer people still pay VAT, duty, NI, Council Tax, therefore I don't know whether your incorrect assertions about who pays for the upkeep of the state are just you getting your wooden spoon out, as most of us here are prone to do or something else?