Glastonbury fan 'loses £16k' over VIP tickets

dulcificum

13 hours ago, Benja100 said:

I have to say I find posts like this highly socially divisive. You may be right, you may be wrong, he may be the nicest most altruistic man on the planet, the point is you don’t know. This kind of attitude in my opinion does as much harm to society as any wealth gap. 

That's like saying back in the days of slavery that speaking out and protesting against slavery is just as socially divisive and harmful to society as slavery itself. 

Are people who protest racial, gender, etc inequality just as harmful as racism etc, or does that only apply to protesting financial inequality? 

Edited by Mr.Tease

44 minutes ago, Benja100 said:

I wonder if it was the rich attendees who slash all the tents, leave 1000’s of nitrous canisters behind, and go into other people’s tents with torches and rob them at knifepoint

That is a rather weak straw-man argument. Surely you can do better!

The rich are in a position of privelidge and power. They have the ability to make a change to the inherent inequalities to our society, not many of them do tho. They are also inherently cushioned from issues like this, they should suck it up and move on rather than bleating in this overly entitled way 

The rich deserve scrutiny and criticism, the poor do not. Arguing otherwise is simply a rich apologists rather pathetic tactic.

Edited by HalfAnIdiot
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mr.Tease said:

That's like saying back in the days of slavery that speaking out and protesting against slavery is just as socially divisive and harmful to society as slavery itself. 

Are people who protest racial, gender, etc inequality just as harmful as racism etc, or does that only apply to protesting financial inequality? 

WOW....... let’s mention slavery in a thread about a guy who wanted to pay for better accommodation and tickets at Glastonbury......I am out.... laters peeps.... this thread has gone to far west for me

1 hour ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

That is a rather weak straw-man argument. Surely you can do better!

The rich are in a position of privelidge and power. They have the ability to make a change to the inherent inequalities to our society, not many of them do tho. They are also inherently cushioned from issues like this, they should suck it up and move on rather than bleating in this overly entitled way 

The rich deserve scrutiny and criticism, the poor do not. Arguing otherwise is simply a rich apologists rather pathetic tactic.

So Rich and hard working deserve scrutiny however the lazy and poor people of the world who choose not to work hard should be given the right to blame the people who carve out a career and work long hours for what they have.... get a grip people. 

Just now, Jamie 2194 said:

So Rich and hard working deserve scrutiny however the lazy and poor people of the world who choose not to work hard should be given the right to blame the people who carve out a career and work long hours for what they have.... get a grip people. 

Exactly.

It's the unsuccessful full of resentment towards the successful. That's all it is.  

1 hour ago, Benja100 said:

I wonder if it was the rich attendees who slash all the tents, leave 1000’s of nitrous canisters behind, and go into other people’s tents with torches and rob them at knifepoint

I know people who stay at Windenlake due to illness such as cancer and age... they just can’t camp with teenagers doing ket all night..... they want to enjoy the festival but just can’t be sleep deprived and kept awake all night so it’s a perfect way to enjoy the festival.... if they want to pay the money then why not..... so much for diversity 

6 minutes ago, Bixer said:

Threads like this just highlight the hypocrisy of lots of you to be honest. He has more money than you so he’s automatically a c**t who deserves to be fucked over? 

No, but he used his money to try and “cheat” his way in to the festival. Didn’t go through the effort of getting tickets in the sale like everyone else has to. That’s the literal definition of privilege.

Anybody else think that HalfAnIdiot might be the full idiot? (sorry, that was too easy)

For the record, I've been going to Glastonbury for 15 years and if I missed out on a ticket and I had the money to buy myelf in using a VIP option (which I don't) then you can bet your bloody hat I would. Maybe the guy just absolutely loves the festival and couldn't get a ticket?

Two other points -

A. He doesn't run a parking fine company, I looked it up and it's a proper company that manages traffic on motorways, seems totally legit.

B. I used to run my own company and I paid my employees a totally fair wage but obviously it was much less than I earned. I took a massive personal risk setting up the company and used the expertise that I'd built up working from somebody else to do it. I worked MUCH harder than the people who worked for me, especiallly in the early days when I would frequently still be working on a project for a client when the sun came up. When the company eventually ran it's course it was me, not them that lost money when the company closed becuase again, I took the risk and they didn't. Any one of them could have left my company and set up their own company with ease (and a couple actually did), so please give me one single reason why I should have paid them the same as me?

The people on here hating on this guy for having money are just coming across as jealous and childish. I love this festival and most of the time I love this forum but Jesus Christ there are some proper Marxists on here.

• Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, Benja100 said:

Shame they can’t quietly enjoy it without being judged by the self righteous. 

I only judged the people who made it clear that they felt they had a bigger right to a shower than those who needed to drink water and those who felt they were too posh to walk such distances.

31 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

No, but he used his money to try and “cheat” his way in to the festival. Didn’t go through the effort of getting tickets in the sale like everyone else has to. That’s the literal definition of privilege.

Oh Jesus, are you actually for real?

Seriously, if I go into John Lewis and buy a nice toaster am I "cheating" my way to getting a good toaster becase I can afford it and I haven't had to queue up in Argos to buy a cheaper one?

Jesus, some of the comments in here read like a Guardian Opinion piece. A lot of identity politics.

There's poor dickheads, rich dickheads, and a lot of dickheads in between. Money (or lack of) just gives people the ability to be dickheads in different ways. 

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON
my atrocious fucking spelling
  • Upvote 1

If he was a real "Festival fan" then he should register and go through the pain on Ticket days and resale days. Then spend his cash on a YURT etc. or volunteer. 

He's just a yuppie with cash to burn.

2 minutes ago, Penrhos said:

If he was a real "Festival fan" then he should register and go through the pain on Ticket days and resale days. Then spend his cash on a YURT etc. or volunteer. 

Yeah you're right he's a yuppie and has cash to burn so he has no right to justice. 

Fuck me. 

2 minutes ago, Penrhos said:

Firstly, how do you know he didn't do this first?

Secondly, why should he "volunteer" (which most people do to get a ticket, not out of the goodness of their own hearts) if he doesn't want to. Who exactly do you think you are to decide that he's not a "real festival fan"?

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

hardly cheating. Glastonbury turns a blind eye to ticket package selling, and in fact actively contributes and supports the selling of VIP tickets and packages. I mean, how do you think the company that screwed him got tickets in the first place? How do you think most of the celebs in the "Celeb spotting" thread got in? Sitting there hitting F5 in October like the rest of us? :lol:

37 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

There's poor dickheads, rich dickheads, and a lot of dickheads in between. Money (or lack of) just gives people the ability to be dickheads in different ways. 

Dickheads be dickheads.  It might be suggested that running a business that goes bust, not paying it's bills, then restarting an identical business weeks later and doing it again multiple times is most likely a criminal enterprise.  

When I was in the building industry there were companies that would just not pay their bills till their suppliers went bust.  British business is riddled with this.  Generally these companies would then wind up, restart with a new name and somehow ALL of the equipment, infrastructure, people and then do it all again, usually with just stickers over the top of the old logo.

Honest question here.  Are the people that do this criminals?  Should there not be punishment for this behaviour that ruins the lives of the owners and employees of smaller businesses that go to the wall so directors can get wealthier?  Should those people be allowed to continue to do so?