Sound issues

Bovla

Does anyone think that the sound issues were more common this year? It felt like more acts were complaining about it and it definitely detracts from the set I think.

I remember hearing quite a few acts complaining about it. Of the top of my head: Billie Eilish, Lauryn Hill and Lucy rose but I'm sure there were more.

In fact there was a running joke in our groups about pointing to mics and then up or down.

Big Moon were sound checking forever, you could see they were frustrated with it, they started a bit late cause of that as well and to be fair, I know very little about sound engineering, but I could hear it being all over the place for their entire set.

I really wanted to watch Liam Gallagher from the path near The Cider Bus (needed a quick out). But. The sound bleed from whatever DJ act was on at The Village Green Bar just ruined it. I tried moving further in but I reckon I'd have had to have got about two thirds in to avoid that bass thump.

Couldn't believe it! A big, popular, portion of the field, of the festivals biggest stage, ruined by a tiny tent.

Seemed like an oversight to me.

Who decides who's allowed a sound system and when and where? OK they've been banned from campsites for a long time but can any point of sale just decide to DJ these days?

Lots of bars pumping out loud jungle bass at full blast next to stages was annoying, The Park stage being an example, watching Foals from further back and you could just hear thumping bass from the bar/tent behind us.

Plenty of acts seem to be having issues with their earpieces aswell, lost count of how many I saw constantly taking it and rearranging them. 

Edited by Casper86

I thought the sound was great wherever I went this year, actually commented on how much better it was. The only time it perhaps wasn't up to scratch was for Lizzo. I put that down to being auite a bit to the side but stood in the same spot the next day for a bit and it was fine.

2 hours ago, Casper86 said:

Lots of bars pumping out loud jungle bass at full blast next to stages was annoying, The Park stage being an example, watching Foals from further back and you could just hear thumping bass from the bar/tent behind us.

Plenty of acts seem to be having issues with their earpieces aswell, lost count of how many I saw constantly taking it and rearranging them. 

We were in the same area for Foals and could hear the Stonebridge mor Ethan the park stage- wish we would have moved up the hill 

11 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

it was extremely windy at points this year .. dont know how much this affected some stages ... didn't experience any issues myself though 

Wind direction and speed affects sound a huge amount.  From our tent on Michaels Mead to the right of the pyramid one minute you could hear Years & Years very clearly and the next you could only hear John Peel.

2 hours ago, Casper86 said:

That'll be Stonebridge Bar that's been in that position forever.  I'd question the decision to put Foals on that stage before I questioned the decision to allow Stonebridge to do what they do.

There's no such thing as a secret set these days, with Social Media and us all being connected to it.  I think that has been really clear since the Radiohead/Pulp secret sets so I'm not sure why they made that decision.