Feeling like you missed so much

FuzzyDunlop

I almost always feel I’ve missed too much, but this time I saw about 90% of the bands I’d planed to see (And caught others unplanned), and I did all the new places I’d hoped to do (Wormhole late night & Humblewell yoga first thing, the pier, Shakespeare in the wood, the new Gully Blues, new Glasto Latino, Worthy Warrior stint, etc.) so I’m totally happy.

How? Not easy, I started every day a lot earlier than most, lucky to have a full Wednesday to explore as I was in at 07:30, drank less alcohol than ever, and slept well so was energised. Most people, not unreasonably, would prefer to be more chilled than I was. Several of my friends did less than 50% of what I covered. 

1 hour ago, dingbat2 said:

I think that's a cracking line up Mr tennis ball, its not too far off my own, i was a bit worried about you and the heat but it seems to me you packed a pretty decent line up there despite the heat, My Sunday was quite different to yours but that was when it was cooler, so nothing to do with the heat! The gap between Sports Team and Liam I watched Sanpped Ankles and the Egg at the Spike which were both ace and under cover, although William's Green was like a furnace that afternoon. The Egg were superb, as always

No regrets, you did really well my old son, well done

Saturday was very tough. I made my decision early on that after the proclaimers I had to get out of the sun. I had a wobble at one point, but I survived.

I wish I saw the Egg! Glad you had a good festival.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

I’ve come back this year feeling like I missed a lot. I saw a good 5-6 bands on all days but didn’t cover half the distance that I walked in 2017 & my planning went out the window practically from the word go. There were a number of factors involved, firstly down to the heat & as a direct consequence of that I suffered with a major nosebleed on the Saturday which pretty much wrote the day off. Second I was with friends almost the whole festival whereas 2017 I was on my own, and thirdly I drank A LOT more than I intended so the hangovers each day were brutal! 

Thats the bit I regret the most, going so hard on 3 of the 5 days of the festival - previous one I paced my drinking throughout the weekend and I was fresher as a result. 

Will try again next year! However I had some great nights - and Thursday night was an absolute epic, right up there as one of the most fun, random nights I’ve ever had at Glasto 

Suffered from even bigger than usual FOMO this year. I don't think I got into double figures with whole sets seen.

Volunteering and only had the Saturday off and spent lots of that suffering from the heat and looking for shade and debating what to go and see.

Not just juggling bands, but also the "wanting to see the whole site to see what's changed" thing that I'm not sure is possible even without responsibilities these days.

Plus also, due to shift commitments, also missed out on imbibing as much as I would have liked to. I'm used to drinking way more than I did over the week.

What I really missed so much of was proper sleep. Now normally I would have a "No Sleep, 'till Hometime" attitude towards things, but as I knew I would be on my feet for eight hours at a time decided to try to act responsibly and be fit for them.

Now, our supposedly quiet campsite is right next door to the SE Corner, so no quiet 'till 5am. Then the portaloo people decide that 6am is a good time to start hoovering the loos out :(. Honestly was considering sectioning myself when I got home at one point. An exercise in sleep deprivation.

First world problems eh?

4 hours ago, Bovla said:

My major miss was Janelle, watched the set on iPlayer and it looked amazing, gutted I missed it

4 hours ago, Bovla said:

My major miss was Janelle, watched the set on iPlayer and it looked amazing, gutted I missed it

I feel exactly the same. I went to The Cure because of my teenager inside. Huge mistake,  knew nothing until the last half hour.

Not even reading what everyone did this year. I do it every year, then get meself into a tiss, ticket and this time, THIS TIME, I'm doing it right!!!! 

This year was my favourite. I took it easy cos I have to. Still did over 20,000 stops a day. Normally doing that in a week would floor me. I made desisions on the day. It was a fucking stellar year of right decisions. Bjorn Again, Lizzo, too many T's, Janelle monae, Kylie and loads more. 

After seeing all that and more like the food, the vibe and most importantly the huge difference to the cleanliness was just heartwarming. 

Oh and huge kudos to the sun for its legendary appearance. ??

• Like 1

100%.

As others have said, you feel like you need to make the most of it because it’s once a year and being one of the privileged few to get a ticket. 

If you make a few poor decisions it can feel like you’re not making the most of it. 

Best to try and focus on all the amazing things you saw and all the fun you had, rather than what could have been. 

My first couple of festivals, I felt this way and was tortured afterwards; kind of resigned to it now in a good way. It’s a reflection on just how much there is available, and in a perverse sort of way I now embrace some of the clashes, or impossible journeys between sets. Making those selections beforehand, being flexible and altering your plan during the festival, and watching what you missed on iPlayer are part of the whole experience now.

Yeah, I've really struggled with it this year.  FOMO has always been a massive thing for me (Mrs Q can testify to that!) and although I've got much better at not giving a shit it was back with a vengeance at the weekend.  I had no real plan as there were so many possibilities for me at any given time, I had three separate groups of friends that I wanted to spend time and watch some sets with so I was constantly bouncing between them, and I just want to do it all!

Biggest problem for me is that I want to have every kind of festival in just a few days.  I want the chilled out in the sun listening, the madness, the late nights, the early nights so I'm up and fresh the next day, spending tie in every part of the site etc.  And the groups of friends that I have don't have the same approach, so I'm always trying to mash it all together.

Proper comedown this year :(

Maybe its because I didnt get into the temple. Even go to the Silver Hayes at all. I didnt go up to the sign. I didn't on the pier (only walked behind it). All things I was definitely going to do, I didn't.

I suppose I got to see Michael Eavis, Amyl & I got to play in the kazoo band in the T&C... it's all relative. I did things others wanted to do.

13 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Anyone else feeling like they missed a lot? I didnt see as much as I wanted to because of the weather. Saturday afternoon was a bit of a write off after Sports Team until Liam was on.

It might be the Glastonbury Comedown, but I feel like I missed a lot.

I saw

Thurs - Patrick Topping Makina set, Someone in the Glade lounge playing psytrance, Randomer

Fri - Bjorn Again, Yak, Amyl & the Sniffers, Michael Eavis explains it all, Idles, A bit of Tame Impala - Arcadia 11-3am.

Sat - Proclaimers, Sports Team, Sat in shade at Carl Cox, Liam Gallagher, The Chemical Brothers, SE Corner til 3, stone circle til 5 ish.

Sun - Barsteward sons of val doonican, a bit of years and years, Kylie, Miley, Janelle Monae, Shaft @ Cineramageddon.

It just doesnt seem like a lot.

I feel the same way for the same reason: the heat, especially the Saturday.

But I wouldn’t worry, it’s already getting better and better in my mind as the post-festival blues are taken over by a warm bath of nostalgia.

I sometimes feel like this and I also think I perhaps need to re-think my build up to the festival. As others have said, I also 'want it all', in that I aim to visit all parts of the site, spend time chilling out, see loads of bands, party late night, spend time with friends, spend time in T&C, etc. The heat especially this year just brought it home that you really can't do all of those things. So, my 'resolution' if you like is to put much less pressure on myself to have the 'perfect' festival.

My major FOMO? I could have added loads, but I was happy with most of the choices I made. In terms of things that weren't impossible/I didn't need a time machine for I wished I'd gone over to Sharon Van Etten (I was just feeling a bit lazy but the heat had eased off a bit then) and I wished I'd got to The Cure earlier (I saw the last 30 mins or so).  

Another thing I'll perhaps calm down about in future years is spending time with pals/the group of people I camp with. I think I wasted a bit of time out of politeness (staying on longer at sets I didn't love, not being more adventurous with post headliner entertainment, not standing in a great spot for a set, less exploring in favour of pitching up outside a bar and staying there for ages - although that was the heat too). What I learnt was no-one really gives a monkeys - other people disappear/go off/get split up/get so spangled they are hardly paying attention to what you are up to. If anything, it makes the odd set, or hour or two that you do all re-group feel a bit more special or spontaneous.   

18 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

In an alternate reality where anything was possible you could relive the same Glastonbury 100 times and still not see anything and have a completely different festival each time.

This is so bloody true! I wish I could do it all again...

1 hour ago, kh24 said:

I sometimes feel like this and I also think I perhaps need to re-think my build up to the festival. As others have said, I also 'want it all', in that I aim to visit all parts of the site, spend time chilling out, see loads of bands, party late night, spend time with friends, spend time in T&C, etc. The heat especially this year just brought it home that you really can't do all of those things. So, my 'resolution' if you like is to put much less pressure on myself to have the 'perfect' festival.

My major FOMO? I could have added loads, but I was happy with most of the choices I made. In terms of things that weren't impossible/I didn't need a time machine for I wished I'd gone over to Sharon Van Etten (I was just feeling a bit lazy but the heat had eased off a bit then) and I wished I'd got to The Cure earlier (I saw the last 30 mins or so).  

Another thing I'll perhaps calm down about in future years is spending time with pals/the group of people I camp with. I think I wasted a bit of time out of politeness (staying on longer at sets I didn't love, not being more adventurous with post headliner entertainment, not standing in a great spot for a set, less exploring in favour of pitching up outside a bar and staying there for ages - although that was the heat too). What I learnt was no-one really gives a monkeys - other people disappear/go off/get split up/get so spangled they are hardly paying attention to what you are up to. If anything, it makes the odd set, or hour or two that you do all re-group feel a bit more special or spontaneous.   

That is so true about friends. We had three separate groups of friends there that we met up with at different times. Whenever we met up with them we automatically felt obliged to stay with them. One day we met a group and then arranged to meet another group later at specific time and place, but then put them off until later because we were with the other group. So we wasted a lot of time just doing what other people wanted.

I also had a couple of work colleagues going, we arranged to meet beforehand but I deliberately didn’t for exactly that reason. It would be hassle trying to meet up at a specific time and place and then spend time with them missing stuff you wanted to do.

Just looked at my steps per day:

Wednesday 22,770

Thursday 27,655

Friday 19,844

Saturday 16.038

Sunday 16,916

So, in summary, bursts of activity early, gradual decline later! I blame the lowest, Saturday, on an extended drinking & shade session atop the Avalon Inn, highly pleasant and much good humour kept us there for 2 1/2 hours.

Saw 50 bands/acts this year. Still missed a load. However this year I decided, if I had a clash, I would see the act that I had not seen before (barring a few exceptions). This meant I gathered some great new music for the cold winter months. Felt I saw more than previous years because of this new strategy.