Feeling like you missed so much

FuzzyDunlop

Anyone else feeling like they missed a lot? I didnt see as much as I wanted to because of the weather. Saturday afternoon was a bit of a write off after Sports Team until Liam was on.

It might be the Glastonbury Comedown, but I feel like I missed a lot.

I saw

Thurs - Patrick Topping Makina set, Someone in the Glade lounge playing psytrance, Randomer

Fri - Bjorn Again, Yak, Amyl & the Sniffers, Michael Eavis explains it all, Idles, A bit of Tame Impala - Arcadia 11-3am.

Sat - Proclaimers, Sports Team, Sat in shade at Carl Cox, Liam Gallagher, The Chemical Brothers, SE Corner til 3, stone circle til 5 ish.

Sun - Barsteward sons of val doonican, a bit of years and years, Kylie, Miley, Janelle Monae, Shaft @ Cineramageddon.

It just doesnt seem like a lot.

3 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Anyone else feeling like they missed a lot? I didnt see as much as I wanted to because of the weather. Saturday afternoon was a bit of a write off after Sports Team until Liam was on.

I saw

Thurs - Patrick Topping Makina set, Someone in the Glade lounge playing psytrance, Randomer

Fri - Bjorn Again, Yak, Amyl & the Sniffers, Michael Eavis explains it all, Idles, A bit of Tame Impala - Arcadia 11-3am.

Sat - Proclaimers, Sports Team, Sat in shade at Carl Cox, Liam Gallagher, The Chemical Brothers, SE Corner til 3, stone circle til 5 ish.

Sun - Barsteward sons of val doonican, a bit of years and years, Kylie, Miley, Janelle Monae, Shaft @ Cineramageddon.

I missed so much as well but that’s the glasto way isn’t it? Saw the doonicans , so funny, great crowd and they still did the crowd surfing on a rubber dinghy.  Even gave up Kylie to see skinny lister, was quite happy to do that since the pyramid was rammed when we arrived so a quick about turn to the Avalon to see them and Lucy spraggan 

54 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I saw

I missed a lot of acts I intended to see, but even being sat in some shade with people pottering about and sights and sounds drifting by is experiencing life and the festival. One thing I’ve learnt over the years is to not give myself a hard time about my decisions at Glastonbury- all we can do is what we do, there’s no right or wrong

Edited by Mr.Tease

Yeah me too... though (because of poorly step-son) I only made it down from Friday at 8 to Sunday at 5.

it means that each clash and decision is worse. Wish I had gone for the start of chemicals before hot chip now I know the latter were pretty quiet early on. Not really seeing Foals because of Lizzo...

3 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

I missed so much as well but that’s the glasto way isn’t it? Saw the doonicans , so funny, great crowd and they still did the crowd surfing on a rubber dinghy.  Even gave up Kylie to see skinny lister, was quite happy to do that since the pyramid was rammed when we arrived so a quick about turn to the Avalon to see them and Lucy spraggan 

That was a surprise for me. Never seen them before. A fantastic start to my sunday. 

My Friday & Saturday choices were impacted because of the sun. I planned to see Sheryl Crow, but couldnt face another 90 mins cooking myself. I got to see Yak & Amyl who were both worth a watch, so all was definitely not lost.

It’s always the way with Glastonbury, I feel exactly the same. For me the problem (and the reason it is so good) is that there is just such an overwhelming amount of stuff that you could be doing and seeing that it’s inevitable you’ll feel like you could’ve done and seem more.

In an alternate reality where anything was possible you could relive the same Glastonbury 100 times and still not see anything and have a completely different festival each time.

I'm always worried about going to hard and burning out before the evening but this year I had plenty left in the tank each evening. So part of me thinks I left a little bit on the pitch so to speak, but I think it’s just inevitable whatever you do.

If only we could just restart it all again next weekend.

I always feel this way after glastonbury. I often like to spend time in the T&C and cabaret fields to try and catch some walkabout acts, as well as spending some chill out time in the green fields, healing fields etc. But I didn't do any of that this year. Not only did the lineup mean I spent most of my time watching bands, I also had a meltdown from the heat on Saturday which meant I spent 2 hours away from anything hiding in the shade. Plus I came down with a horrible cold so I didn't stay out after hours on Saturday or Sunday. 

But then I think about all the amazing music I saw and I realise how much I did do. It's impossible to do it all! 

I feel like I didn't see as much compared to my original plan but I'm not overly bothered.  Only one I am a bit upset about missing was Miley after watching her on iplayer.  Sun/heat stroke and trying not to burn made seeking out shade more of a priority than running between stages and standing in the sun for too long.

Theme of my festival was that I had to make hard choices while something really magical was also happening somewhere else.

Gutted to miss Stormzy, sure it was an event for those there and the BBC coverage doesn't give you the half of it.  Mostly distraught to have not been at that Janelle Monae gig, but The Cure delivered one of my top sets of the weekend and you can't be in 2 places at once.  Billie Eilish vs Miley was also a cruel choice to have to make, all things considered.

Heat of the day was easy on me because pretty much that time of day is when I'd normally be chilling round t&c, greenfields etc or at tented gigs.  I avoided standing still in the glaring sun at main stages from 2-5 on the whole through less planning than where I'd naturally be that time of day anyway. 

I had a proper sad few hours late on Friday night as in my head I wasn't making the most of it. Because tickets are so precious I put myself under too much pressure to have the perfect festival. I wasted so much time on Friday not knowing where to go, who to see and what to eat that by the end of the day I felt like I had done very little other than procrastinate. Things got better Saturday and Sunday but I still left feeling like I missed out. The heat certainly didn't help. Even after 5 years the place is overwhelming, I think next year I need to rethink my strategy and spend less time trying to be everywhere at once, which results in a lot of aimeless wandering around.

11 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

John Digweed played a second set in the spaceport on Friday, announced it on facebook. I saw it yesterday :( Kicking myself.

We went. Was max 50 people in there. As a huge fan of his it was incredible to see him in such an intimate setting. 

Even had his kids onstage for a while.

Wednesday - Mik Artistik, EFestivals Meet, Grace Savage

Thursday - The Beaubowbelles, The Portraits, part of Josephine and the Artizans, Keston Cobblers Club, Part of Land of the Giants, New York Brass Band, Lounge Kittens and Tankus The Henge

Friday - Bjorn Again, Grace Petrie, Lucy Rose, King Princess, Soak, Idles, Michael Kiwanuka, Part of Frank Turner but couldn't get close enough to hear properly so went to see Professor Elemental and the Caravan of Lost Souls

Saturday - Started by watching a song of Cat Empire for my friend who wasn't there then onto part of The Proclaimers set for my husband and then onto Avalon for Cut Capers, Mattiel, Love Synth Orchestra, End of Slowthai, Lizzo, Neneh Cherry, end of Kurt Vile, Kate Tempest, Chemical Brothers

Sunday - Lankum Choir, Mavis Staples, She Drew The Gun (acoustic Greenpeace), One song of Jeff Goldblum etc,David Attenborough, Palace, Fat White Family, Fontaines DC (Leftfield), Part of Vampire Weekend, Dave and The Cure

Don't think that's too bad a haul but I think had the weather been different I probably would have had a very different festival. I found the tents stiflingly hot so tried to avoid them where possible. First year that I've not seen an act in the Cabaret Tent. We saw a lot on The Park because I find it a pleasant place to sit. I was only going to have fomo this year as so many things I wanted to see. Sadly a lot of the Williams Green acts that I would love to have seen are lost to me. If only they filmed them as well. 

I totally get this. After spending pretty much all afternoon and evening in the onsite hospital Thursday being very ill and then kept to the shade every other day I feel I missed a lot I wanted to see. Looking after myself was more important but I still feel a bit sad about it. Waited so long to enjoy it and I feel a bit like I had the experience taken away from me this year. Still had a great time and saw some stuff and I’m sure I’ll feel better in few days. 

Edited by Lucy92

I had to lie down for a few hours on several occasions ... my back was giving me grief .... no issues with heat though fortunately ... I need to sort out my back before the 50th ...had thought it had improved with lots of swimming but of course the festival is going to be the ultimate test 

I often ended up seeing half of lots of stuff, rather than staying for entire sets. Ie. Sat Night watched half of Wu Tang and bombed across to the Chems for half of that - both awesome. I feel that's not a bad way to do it, of course depending on how far things are away from each other and your love of the acts. 

Feel this completely, but more for the night time stuff as I am fortunately ok with heat. This time as I did so much walking in the days my legs had given way by 12/1 with the exception of a couple of nights when I was out until 4/5. My footwear choice left a lot to be desired! 

1 hour ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I saw

I think that's a cracking line up Mr tennis ball, its not too far off my own, i was a bit worried about you and the heat but it seems to me you packed a pretty decent line up there despite the heat, My Sunday was quite different to yours but that was when it was cooler, so nothing to do with the heat! The gap between Sports Team and Liam I watched Sanpped Ankles and the Egg at the Spike which were both ace and under cover, although William's Green was like a furnace that afternoon. The Egg were superb, as always

No regrets, you did really well my old son, well done