Crime down 64%.... Very hard to get people in

guypjfreak

12 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

I thought the opposite - compared to the last few I thought it a lot lighter and more joyful. I ws often surrounded by large groups of young uns who were chatty and happy.  I performed the public service of explaining who the PSB, Johnny Marr and Nick Cave were at various sets as my exasperated husband looked on.

Haha maybe I just came across all the miserable faced youngsters this year then. They looked far too serious ha 

1 hour ago, jimbarkanoodle said:

Now you see for all my talk of sneaking in, doing loads of drugs and having no shame about it, this is the kind of little scrote whos behaviour I do not condone, and not only am I glad he was caught, I am disappointed he didn't get a kicking as well from security. Normally when I see someone legging it from security I cheer them on to get a good escape as they are normally just innocent drug dealers or fence jumpers, but when it is some prick nicking shit and armed with a knife, then fuck him.  

But when you're cheering them on, how do you know?

50 minutes ago, Havors said:

I noticed a distinct change in atmosphere this year at times during the festival. For the worse. 

It wasn't punchy or anything just a lot less happy and loving...  I may just be a cynical old fart but it seemed like there was a lot more younger people there who are more of a Leeds/Reading or Creamfields crowd. 

Sort of noticed this but put it down to the weather - in the muddier years there's a sense of "we're all in this together" - help everyone out of the mud, etc. This year we didn't have that, plus there was only so much shade to go around, so there was some (low key) competition for it. And if people are miserable from the heat there's not much you can do to give them a hand.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Quark said:

If we're including leatherman / camping type knives then that'd be me!  How else am I meant to slice the limes for my dark & stormies? :lol:

I have no idea what type of "blade" the lad had - but I agree with you @Quark there are some camping essentials one cannot do without :) although this year - I cheated and took a bottle lime juice (which is probably worse than a knife - taking a plastic bottle!!! - which I hasten to add, did return home with me - I shall further add.....it wasnt the same as actual limes #disappointed )

1 hour ago, giantkatestacks said:

I thought the opposite - compared to the last few I thought it a lot lighter and more joyful. I ws often surrounded by large groups of young uns who were chatty and happy.  I performed the public service of explaining who the PSB, Johnny Marr and Nick Cave were at various sets as my exasperated husband looked on.

I also thought the general vibe about the place was a lot better this year.

19 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I also thought the general vibe about the place was a lot better this year.

Weird isn't it... maybe it was me making a bunch of the people look miserable at certain places I went? haha! 2017 I struggled to see anyone not smiling ear to ear :D

Only thing I noticed was two shifty lads on Thursday morning scouting around Darble area as people put their tents up. They did a circular route and then headed off - so not heading to their tent but looked like a recce. Didn't hear of anything going missing and I used the Property Lock Ups as usual.

2 hours ago, Havors said:

I noticed a distinct change in atmosphere this year at times during the festival. For the worse. 

It wasn't punchy or anything just a lot less happy and loving...  I may just be a cynical old fart but it seemed like there was a lot more younger people there who are more of a Leeds/Reading or Creamfields crowd. 

Lots and lots of newbies.. 

Heard a couple of story's of lads outside getting caught with knives on them and drugs but that's OK.. But knives is a NO NO... 

As for fights didn't see any but trying to get to the front of the bar was a bit edgy.. Usually it's a give way to each other as you talk to each other and suddenly you are at the bar this year especially in the park it was a nightmare.. But hey ho. 

Life love and unity as dreadzone would sing lol

Missed them this year 

RIP Loki 

Edited by guypjfreak

2 hours ago, Havors said:

3 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

Heard a couple of story's of lads outside getting caught with knives on them and drugs but that's OK.. But knives is a NO NO... 

As for fights didn't see any but trying to get to the front of the bar was a bit edgy.. Usually it's a give way to each other as you talk to each other and suddenly you are at the bar this year especially in the park it was a nightmare.. But hey ho. 

I thought it was the most chilled Glastonbury I've been to.  The sun seemed to bring out the best in people and on the whole, everyone seemed very friendly and happy.

I thought the youngsters seemed very respectful in general compared to previous years when it's been very much oh please fuck off to Creamfields.

46 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

Life love and unity as dreadzone would sing lol

Missed them this year 

RIP Loki 

I seen one fight for the first time at glasto.... security guard was fighting with some lad at the front of the rabbit hole queue on sunday night. Then all the lads mates started running over and throwing cheap shots... then they ran away into the campsite. Then about 20 security turned up about 15 mins too late. Hate seeing shit like that in a place thats meant to be all about good vibes. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, pauladam said:

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned already, we had some activity in Baileys this year (normally super quiet!) Sat morning I think (might have been Sunday) saw a bunch of security (6 or so) going to a tent about 3 away from us...

after a while cue them marching some lad out through the tents with his arm up his back....they disappeared round the back of a tall tent out of my view...next thing I saw the lad legging it with the security chasing him, one of my group shouted to security if they wanted him to “ahem” help to which security shouted “he’s got a knife!” (Which I assume is how he managed to break from the hold the security guy had him in!)

Scary stuff!

anyway the chase went on for quite a while turning benny hill esque with about 15 security and 5 police chasing him round the campsite (with some fellow campers shouting “chuck him in the long drops”) in the end a fellow camper at bottom of baileys “accidentally” tripped the lad up and he was caught.

After talking with security later turns out he had been robbing phones, and folk had used “find my phone/friends” to lead them to his tent!

silly silly boy....I believe he had a wristband too! Who the f*** goes to Glastonbury with A. A knife and B. The intent to steal stuff

glad they got him though!

I think they came through Back House too. My boyfriend witnessed a lot of commotion Saturday morning, thank god he was finally caught.

Reading these accounts of people being robbed while sleeping sounds quite scary. Luckily we managed to avoid any trouble. Didn't see any runners or any rowdiness from anyone. 

Even the dealers I came across were friendly enough too!

Edit: I lied, I saw some kids jumping the fence at the Stonebridge bar during Chaos in The CBD thursday 4am time.

Think the people in the queue were pretty frustrated because the venue was probably only 60% full and security was drip feeding people into the venue. (which I was happy about, didn't feel like being a sardine in that tent). 

The kids that jumped did all get caught though, in about 2 minutes. Not really much place for them to hide in there...

If it helps paint a picture, they started jumping when 9Pm till I come, came on. 

Edited by Acid Loafers

My tuppence worth:

Camped in Oxfields, so had to go through gate B everyday. Was only checked once, but man it was the most thorough check I've ever had. Went through absolutely every nook and cranny in my day bag, and every single compartment in my wallet. If there was anything hidden in my bag it would have definitely been found. I'd been hiding my weed zipped up in a pocket of my pack a mac, which was then packed in to its own little pack. Luckily that day I'd forgotten to do it and had just left it in my shorts pocket! They didn't actually search me so got away with it! Didn't see anyone actually get body searched, so will most likely just do this again in the future.

Was volunteering this year, and every shift had 2 or 3 security guards with us. Without exception every one of them was friendly and helpful. For the first time in my life I was engaging with security instead of actively avoiding them, and must say they did an excellent job.

Didn't see any trouble at all in the festival, thought the vibe was really good, young and old alike.

The security guard I was with one day said the best way to get in to the festival without a ticket was to make a run through one of the vehicle gates during the day (not night)

We stayed in Kidney Mead and a few around us got robbed Wednesday night. I don't know if it was the wind or not, but sounded like a lot of people brushing by our tent that night. Although it could have been the fact i wasn't too smashed/knackered Wednesday night, so struggled to sleep as easily.  Our friend camping by us had someone open his tent up and stick a torch in his face asking for 'Paul', he told him to fcuk off and didn't get anything robbed, but 99% sure that was the tent thiefs. Our tents were positioned right in the middle of the camping area, as far away as you can get from the walk ways if that makes sense, that's probably where i'd chose to rob! if you were going tent to tent right by the walk ways then it would be pretty obvious to people/security walking by.

I always keep my wallet and phone on me in the night, but never with too much money in it. In my 8 festivals i don't think i've ever had anything robbed, although one year i did 'lose' my wallet over night when i was battered, so that could have well been robbed i suppose?

Regarding wrist bands, my dad didn't have one and didn't get kicked out. I met up with him on Sunday and he had a quite pathetic fake band he'd made himself. All the dye he'd used had rubbed off on to his arm, making it even more obvious his band wasn't real, but he had no problems with security.

This may come across as pedantry,  but I don't mean it to.....

When people post about being "robbed" do they actually mean "robbed" ie having something taken from them by intimidation,  force or threat? 

I think that most people mean that they had their tents burgled,  either with our without them being present at the time. 

If all the posters above have actually been robbed then that is pretty serious,  that multiple people are having things taken from them by force throughout the festival. Not that having a tent burgled is trivial,  but it is a completely different class of offence to robbery. 

Either way,  it saddens me that people at the festival take things that do not belong to them. 

4 hours ago, 4519dennis said:

Only thing I noticed was two shifty lads on Thursday morning scouting around Darble area as people put their tents up. They did a circular route and then headed off - so not heading to their tent but looked like a recce. Didn't hear of anything going missing and I used the Property Lock Ups as usual.

Pretty sure I saw the same 2 in the same field.  Moving quickly, half crouched and eyes darting around as they moved past us.  There were half a dozen or so of us sat around the chairs at the time, so if they were thieves as I suspect, they moved past us pretty sharpish.

3 hours ago, Spindles said:

Pretty sure I saw the same 2 in the same field.  Moving quickly, half crouched and eyes darting around as they moved past us.  There were half a dozen or so of us sat around the chairs at the time, so if they were thieves as I suspect, they moved past us pretty sharpish.

Yes not very subtle.