Crime down 64%.... Very hard to get people in

guypjfreak

I’ve not read through the entire thread. I volunteered with Oxfam this year, I worked on one of the ped gates and was talking to one of the gate managers. He said there were no plans at the moment to incorporate the EPO bands for everyone anytime soon and expects the 3 part scheme (band, ticket, and passout slip), to be in place for the foreseeable; mainly due to it being a licensing requirement.

Having said that, on the 16 hours I done on the gate I saw five people get in just waiting for people to switch off and then making a break for it. As soon as they got in they dipped into the campsite and were gone.

53 minutes ago, Spindles said:

It is odd, as you can just walk in unchecked by that point.  Most years in the past some enterprising folk have come in with sacktrucks full of bottled water to sell on the paths to punters who are struggling back to the coach/carpark.

Maybe it was someone who had been there all week just doing it for the hell of it?  I'm too old and decrepit to get over that fence any more like I used to, but many's the time I've thought I'd like to have a go at it just for the challenge.

Not any more, at PGA this year they were checking wristbands to allow reentry. I guess to keep people out from tatting. The tatting has been a bit intense at times. I remember a few years ago seeing a bloke walking back up Big Ground on a Monday morning with his breakfast only to find his tent and belongings gone!

6 hours ago, tumbles said:

One thing I do when I get in my tent for the night is I tie the inner door zips together with a reusable zip tie.  Nobody is getting in easily.

I understand your reasons, but I do caution against that. In case of a fire you want to be able to get out of that tent very quickly.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

Not any more, at PGA this year they were checking wristbands to allow reentry. I guess to keep people out from tatting. The tatting has been a bit intense at times. I remember a few years ago seeing a bloke walking back up Big Ground on a Monday morning with his breakfast only to find his tent and belongings gone!

I can well imagine, as remember in 2010 I was helping fella pack the tents next door to us (which defo been abandoned as seen group leave) to turn around with a kid eyeing up our trolley and stuff as we were stood by the tent!!!

After that we never leave our tent unattended on a Monday ever.... as usually until late afternoon

On 7/3/2019 at 9:46 AM, ripcurl85 said:

Slightly off topic but a couple of my mates in CV East witnessed a guy using a ladder to climb over the fence at around 8/9am on Friday morning. Security were so disorganised that they seemed incapable of catching him. Guy must have been a total legend to risk the drop on the other side of the fence. I asked whether they could see if he had any Twixes but got a blank look. 

We were in Rigs Field next to Camper Van West and I'm pretty sure someone jumped the fence as I was heading to bed around 7am one of the mornings. Thought he was robbing at first so started shouting as he legged it through the field  but our field was pretty empty and also doesn't have a security tower facing it but don't think you would go all the way up there to rob

On the note of security - we left site via Gate D on the Thursday afternoon to help our friends in with their stuff from the car parks.

On re-entry the woman that checked my bag was done within about 30 seconds, even declining when I asked her if she wanted to check my bumbag.

The guy searching my mate was the exact opposite end of the scale. Every zip, every pocket, every item inside the bag. Every zip of every item inside the bag. Stuck me as odd as my friends who has just arrived just strolled in.

On 7/3/2019 at 2:55 PM, Cuboid said:

Been nine times before and never seen a fight. Saw two this year. One in SE Corner and one at the Streets. Both pretty grim. 

Really??? That’s horrible.... I have only done 7 now but never seen any trouble at all.... was it between two big groups??

On 7/3/2019 at 5:09 PM, TheGoodWillOut said:

I caught someone opening my rucksack which was on the floor at baggy Mondays in the Stonebridge bar on the Thursday afternoon. His excuse was that he was pissed and he thought it was his.. gave him the benefit rather than twatting him  

I caught a girl trying to get into my rucksack on Saturday at The Chemicals, I felt something and turned around and she had her hand caught in my rucksack..... she was with 3 hound lads all laughing.... not realising we were 10 big lads all in a row.... I am 6ft 5 and train daily at the gym.... needless to say once I told them to fuck off before I threw them over the stage they soon moved..... luckily it was me and not some of the other lads if they would of hit first and asked after. Can’t stand theft, if you want a drink from my rucksack just ask and I will happily give you one. 

1 hour ago, rmartin1803 said:

Yeah mate wed night... All money took but cards left when sleeping as well that's the most annoying part

Must have been same guy/group then. Exact same as my bro. I had my phone just next to me but it was left. Bro only had cash taken, they even placed his wallet back in jeans.

On 7/3/2019 at 4:37 PM, incident said:

While there's no formal checks within the site, there are spotters (no idea how many or where specifically). But with so many different wristband types each year and sleeves etc I suspect only the most obvious will get picked up once through the gate.

There are formal checks, although very low key. I think it was 2014 I was checked heading south on the path by the Glade. Just two guys checking, and a third on wider out on the path pointed us towards the guys doing the checking. As they were checking something caught their attention behind me,  another security guy had stopped someone by the fence with others I had noticed before making a bee line for him. 

I saw something similar happening on the railway line a couple of years later. 

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned already, we had some activity in Baileys this year (normally super quiet!) Sat morning I think (might have been Sunday) saw a bunch of security (6 or so) going to a tent about 3 away from us...

after a while cue them marching some lad out through the tents with his arm up his back....they disappeared round the back of a tall tent out of my view...next thing I saw the lad legging it with the security chasing him, one of my group shouted to security if they wanted him to “ahem” help to which security shouted “he’s got a knife!” (Which I assume is how he managed to break from the hold the security guy had him in!)

Scary stuff!

anyway the chase went on for quite a while turning benny hill esque with about 15 security and 5 police chasing him round the campsite (with some fellow campers shouting “chuck him in the long drops”) in the end a fellow camper at bottom of baileys “accidentally” tripped the lad up and he was caught.

After talking with security later turns out he had been robbing phones, and folk had used “find my phone/friends” to lead them to his tent!

silly silly boy....I believe he had a wristband too! Who the f*** goes to Glastonbury with A. A knife and B. The intent to steal stuff

glad they got him though!

5 minutes ago, pauladam said:

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned already, we had some activity in Baileys this year (normally super quiet!) Sat morning I think (might have been Sunday) saw a bunch of security (6 or so) going to a tent about 3 away from us...

after a while cue them marching some lad out through the tents with his arm up his back....they disappeared round the back of a tall tent out of my view...next thing I saw the lad legging it with the security chasing him, one of my group shouted to security if they wanted him to “ahem” help to which security shouted “he’s got a knife!” (Which I assume is how he managed to break from the hold the security guy had him in!)

Scary stuff!

anyway the chase went on for quite a while turning benny hill esque with about 15 security and 5 police chasing him round the campsite (with some fellow campers shouting “chuck him in the long drops”) in the end a fellow camper at bottom of baileys “accidentally” tripped the lad up and he was caught.

After talking with security later turns out he had been robbing phones, and folk had used “find my phone/friends” to lead them to his tent!

silly silly boy....I believe he had a wristband too! Who the f*** goes to Glastonbury with A. A knife and B. The intent to steal stuff

glad they got him though!

Now you see for all my talk of sneaking in, doing loads of drugs and having no shame about it, this is the kind of little scrote whos behaviour I do not condone, and not only am I glad he was caught, I am disappointed he didn't get a kicking as well from security. Normally when I see someone legging it from security I cheer them on to get a good escape as they are normally just innocent drug dealers or fence jumpers, but when it is some prick nicking shit and armed with a knife, then fuck him.  

Hopefully he was also arrested and doesn't make it back to Glastonbury again.

32 minutes ago, pauladam said:

Who the f*** goes to Glastonbury with A. A knife

If we're including leatherman / camping type knives then that'd be me!  How else am I meant to slice the limes for my dark & stormies? :lol:

I noticed a distinct change in atmosphere this year at times during the festival. For the worse. 

It wasn't punchy or anything just a lot less happy and loving...  I may just be a cynical old fart but it seemed like there was a lot more younger people there who are more of a Leeds/Reading or Creamfields crowd. 

14 minutes ago, Havors said:

I noticed a distinct change in atmosphere this year at times during the festival. For the worse. 

It wasn't punchy or anything just a lot less happy and loving...  I may just be a cynical old fart but it seemed like there was a lot more younger people there who are more of a Leeds/Reading or Creamfields crowd. 

I thought the opposite - compared to the last few I thought it a lot lighter and more joyful. I ws often surrounded by large groups of young uns who were chatty and happy.  I performed the public service of explaining who the PSB, Johnny Marr and Nick Cave were at various sets as my exasperated husband looked on.