Crime down 64%.... Very hard to get people in

guypjfreak

My mate lost his ticket/pass out first night, queued up for 2 hours/answered questions and was given an extra band which meant he didn’t need to show either his ticket or passout (which he actually found) when entering/exiting PGC each day.

Few people on hill of death on Sunday trying to blag spare tickets from leavers.

Security were trying to tax people again exiting PGC each night - sad bastards.

6 hours ago, sirjonnyp said:

After Mattiel on Saturday I was walking from Park towards the railway tracks. Just as I got to the stewards base in pennard heard a huge ‘GET HIM! STOP HIM!’ and turned around to see about ten secca converging from all around me on a young man without a top moving at a fair lick. He threw his backpack over the heras fence of a vendor and powered into the tents. Some of the guards went for him, others for the bag. Would love to know what they were after him for, no wristband and perhaps had a large amount of goodies in the bag that got tossed? That was right by the pennard scaff tower, so could have been spotted on the rob or dealing?

I saw this too! 

We saw 4 lads running through one of the car parks near gate D; shouting about hiding in a bush. It was about midnight;  they were closely followed by security plus dogs. The downside- my partner stopped to use a portaloo and I waited the other side. My partner was stopped and held by security who demanded his wristband, tickets etc (fine- you have a job to do) but when I walked up and explained we were literally going to our car and we had legit tickets the security guy started shouting at us to “get offsite now, you shouldn’t even be here, why are you over here so late” ?

13 hours ago, kevbizarre said:

I lost my ticket when getting stuff from my car whilst staying at Worthy View. Even though I had both wrist bands already and my pass out ticket I wasn’t allowed back in. Had a good 30 minutes stress whilst the staff phoned someone up top and were convinced enough I was legit. Amazingly I found my ticket when leaving Monday morning in the middle of Worthy View car park!!!

Wow, scary stuff! What did they do in the 30 minutes to check you were legit? Check your reg number against purchased tickets?

15 hours ago, incident said:

While there's no formal checks within the site, there are spotters (no idea how many or where specifically). But with so many different wristband types each year and sleeves etc I suspect only the most obvious will get picked up once through the gate.

Yes. A security guard chased me through the crowd in 2015 convinced I didn’t have a wristband on (I did, it was obscured by my jumper at the time).

8 minutes ago, Blueberry said:

Wow, scary stuff! What did they do in the 30 minutes to check you were legit? Check your reg number against purchased tickets?

Yeah they checked details like that with my ID (and then they actually didn’t know what to do). Didn’t seem they had an agreed process for this scenario which surprised me. All my stuff including my phone was inside in my tent. I think they just trusted me and my story enough, after deliberating for half hour, to let me back in.  Lucky! 

I thought security seemed pretty tight on the gates, I worked on 3 different gates and there were thorough wristband, pass out, ID and ticket checks on both in and out directions.  Security seemed to be doing a pretty decent job of stopping runners and climbers and we turned away several fake ticketed individuals during my shift.  Be interesting to see if the EPO bands do make it into full operation next year, they worked really well for staff this year.

We were chilling in the shade at the Avalon.... went to pack everything back in my ruck sack and couldn't find my power bank….. looking around every where and then this lad sat next to us leaned over into this group of people aged 17-20 id say and passed it to us..... they had basically pic pocketed it and this guy had witnessed them do it. I was a lot more vigilant after that.

3 hours ago, tumbles said:

One thing I do when I get in my tent for the night is I tie the inner door zips together with a reusable zip tie.  Nobody is getting in easily.

That's fine unless they decide to slash the tent instead to get in making your tent unusable.

I used to always do the same with securing my tent at night, but this year I felt totally secure.  My tent is a knackered old thing with an inner tent that is still filthy with baked in dry mud from previous festivals so I doubt anyone would think it contained anything worth nicking.  Inside it is the traditional shit-state of everything scattered everywhere and the only things of any value remained on my person when sleeping.  Based on my sleeping through Dominic's notorious snoring just 4 feet away I doubt I'd wake if the zip went.

No one I knew had any experience of thievery this year, subjectively it felt better this year but obviously much of that is down to personal circumstances.

a girl in our camp was wondering to the loo when she found three ruck sacks, along with passports , phones, other personal stuff just strewn on the floor. She called the number in the back of the passport (next of kin) got through to a girls mum who said he daughter was at Glastonbury. her mum then tried to ring the girl, only to get through the the mobile she had found. eventually someone rang the mobile which my friend answered and it was someone camping with the girls. they were just a few tents over. There were three of them and they left their bags on the floor in the door way. Some one must have just reached in and taken all three of them. just a small amount of cash taken i believe and they left everything else.

the girls had a lucky escape

4 hours ago, tumbles said:

One thing I do when I get in my tent for the night is I tie the inner door zips together with a reusable zip tie.  Nobody is getting in easily.

Not such a good idea, ever seen how quickly a tent goes up in flames?

I nearly didn't get let in when I went for my wristband on first entry, despite my photo looking exactly like me. I didn't mind being asked for photo ID but got a bit worried when I realised that I only had my driving licence, on which you can barely see my photo.

My mate had his wallet nicked with £300 in it. It's the only Glasto that someone I know has had something stolen since the festival in 2000, when a mate had his brick-like Nokia snatched out of his hand.

47 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

Why are people still not using the lockups? We have crew camping and still use them.

I guess sometimes people get too  inebriated ... I  used them mostly except one night when i woke and my phone was very obvious to anyone unscrupulous ... fortunate :) 

44 minutes ago, richy24 said:

Anyone else see the bloke getting over the fence in Pilon ground about 7am on Monday morning as we were packing up?

Very strange - no idea why someone would want to break in then!

It is odd, as you can just walk in unchecked by that point.  Most years in the past some enterprising folk have come in with sacktrucks full of bottled water to sell on the paths to punters who are struggling back to the coach/carpark.

Maybe it was someone who had been there all week just doing it for the hell of it?  I'm too old and decrepit to get over that fence any more like I used to, but many's the time I've thought I'd like to have a go at it just for the challenge.

On 7/3/2019 at 9:46 AM, ripcurl85 said:

Slightly off topic but a couple of my mates in CV East witnessed a guy using a ladder to climb over the fence at around 8/9am on Friday morning. Security were so disorganised that they seemed incapable of catching him. Guy must have been a total legend to risk the drop on the other side of the fence. I asked whether they could see if he had any Twixes but got a blank look. 

I think I met the guy who did that.  He'd been on the Twix since wednesday night, got caught by the police once and had his grappling hook taken off him and spent the next day edging round the site until he came across a telescopic ladder that someone had left or planted and made his entry.

7 minutes ago, Spindles said:

It is odd, as you can just walk in unchecked by that point.  Most years in the past some enterprising folk have come in with sacktrucks full of bottled water to sell on the paths to punters who are struggling back to the coach/carpark.

Maybe it was someone who had been there all week just doing it for the hell of it?  I'm too old and decrepit to get over that fence any more like I used to, but many's the time I've thought I'd like to have a go at it just for the challenge.

I got the impression he hadn't been there as a punter! Everyone just kind of stood there in disbelief as he jumped from the top of the fence, done a roll then said "its all good guys, its all good" and ran off into the distance!

I'd only had 45 minutes sleep, but i'm sure i didn't imagine it!

2 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

When we went back on site from CV East to collect our instruments from backstage T&C on monday morning we all had our wristbands checked so maybe the policy has changed.

Maybe that's why I didn't see any enterprising water sellers this year, I just figured they'd been turned away because it's cases of plastic bottles.  Most years some folk come in tatting also.  I reckon you are right and it has changed.