Shambala 2019

I couldn't see a recent topic for this allegedly cracking little festival so thought I'd start one. Going there for the first time this year with a few fellow Glastonbury veterans after we all failed to get tickets.

Just wondering what people's experience is of shambala (seems to have quite the cult following) and whether anyone had any top tips or general advice? Few things I'm wondering about specifically:

1. Line up recommendations. I didn't recognise many names on the recent poster but having done a bit of research I particularly like the sound of Idles, Saul Williams, Inja, Age of Glass, Blow 3.0, The Comet is Coming and MC Xander. Is there anything else anyone considers 'must see'?
  2. Fancy dress. They've announced the theme 'extinction carnival' but I can't find anywhere that specifies what day it is. Surely they don't expect people in costume all weekend? I love a bit of fancy dress but that'd be pushing it! 
  3. How late do things go on? Only thing I can find online is a clashfinder from 2015 which has a few stages on until 3am. If anyone's got anything more up to date that'd be appreciated. 

10 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Line up recommendations. I didn't recognise many names on the recent poster but having done a bit of research I particularly like the sound of Idles, Saul Williams, Inja, Age of Glass, Blow 3.0, The Comet is Coming and MC Xander. Is there anything else anyone considers 'must see'?

BCUC - who I saw at Glasto, very good.

This year will be my 6th shambala. If I was to compare it Glastonbury, I’d say a mix between the green fields and the park. 

Lineup wise, I barely check it these days as I rarely know more than one or two acts. It’s a place to explore and find new unknown acts and it’s small enough you can wonder the whole festival in an hour. You’ll definitely stumble across something you’ll like. 

The extinction carnival day is Saturday, and Friday is traditionally Fruity Friday - pretty much everyone cross dresses. Thursday and Sunday are a bit less fancy dress but there will still be some great costumes on show. 

There’s always a few late night small venues on the main days (Friday Saturday Sunday) that go on til 4 and sometimes 5. There’s a forest stage where most people still up tend to end up after 4. 

Its a really lovely little festival with a very friendly atmosphere. It’s family friendly during the day but becomes a debauched party at night. You’ll love it!

• Upvote 1

On 7/2/2019 at 11:19 PM, sogryp said:

This year will be my 6th shambala. If I was to compare it Glastonbury, I’d say a mix between the green fields and the park. 

Lineup wise, I barely check it these days as I rarely know more than one or two acts. It’s a place to explore and find new unknown acts and it’s small enough you can wonder the whole festival in an hour. You’ll definitely stumble across something you’ll like. 

The extinction carnival day is Saturday, and Friday is traditionally Fruity Friday - pretty much everyone cross dresses. Thursday and Sunday are a bit less fancy dress but there will still be some great costumes on show. 

There’s always a few late night small venues on the main days (Friday Saturday Sunday) that go on til 4 and sometimes 5. There’s a forest stage where most people still up tend to end up after 4. 

Its a really lovely little festival with a very friendly atmosphere. It’s family friendly during the day but becomes a debauched party at night. You’ll love it!

Only just seen this impressively comprehensive response, cheers mate! Family friendly in the day & debauched at night sounds ideal as some friends may have to bring kids if they can't get babysitters. 

Had no idea about fruity Friday either, two costumes to plan now! 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Only just seen this impressively comprehensive response, cheers mate! Family friendly in the day & debauched at night sounds ideal as some friends may have to bring kids if they can't get babysitters. 

Had no idea about fruity Friday either, two costumes to plan now! 

Glad I could help! 

They cater really well for kids, including a creche if your friends need a few hours to themselves: https://www.shambalafestival.org/essential-info/families/

have a wicked time, I'll see you there! keep an eye out for the guy if in the zebra onesie and fur waistcoat on the Sat if you fancy a pint.

• 4 weeks later...

It's great - have fun! Shambala's always got loads of interesting things going on that aren't music. Theatre/dance etc, but also just odd workshops. Green fields / park at glastonbury are kind of similar (like @sogryp said) but it's a bit lower pressure, and there's more interesting people doing interesting stuff to chance across.

Music-wise, each stage is run/programmed by different teams, so just stick around the venues you're into. The big(ger) ones:

* Main stage: Across lots of genres - usually bigger, non-mainstream touring acts
* Kamikaze (big red tent): DnB / Techno
* Chai Wallahs: Funk / Hip hop / Jazz / Indie

Then some of my favs:

* Sankofas (very far away, up on the hill): Folk/Blues/Acoustic, but go later on (past midnight) and it's the best place on site
* Barrio Afrika: Afro beat, all the time
* Swingamajig: The venue I work in - started off as "Electro Swing", but nowadays a bit more varied. Loads of great live acts, good vibes, and open latest(?) of anywhere on site (4/5AM finish depending on how long the venue manager can keep partying for).

Advice on fancy dress: Look stupid all the time - if you look normal you'll stick out like a sore thumb. People go to real efforts on the Saturday for the theme...

8 hours ago, jontutcher said:

It's great - have fun! Shambala's always got loads of interesting things going on that aren't music. Theatre/dance etc, but also just odd workshops. Green fields / park at glastonbury are kind of similar (like @sogryp said) but it's a bit lower pressure, and there's more interesting people doing interesting stuff to chance across.

Music-wise, each stage is run/programmed by different teams, so just stick around the venues you're into. The big(ger) ones:

* Main stage: Across lots of genres - usually bigger, non-mainstream touring acts
* Kamikaze (big red tent): DnB / Techno
* Chai Wallahs: Funk / Hip hop / Jazz / Indie

Then some of my favs:

* Sankofas (very far away, up on the hill): Folk/Blues/Acoustic, but go later on (past midnight) and it's the best place on site
* Barrio Afrika: Afro beat, all the time
* Swingamajig: The venue I work in - started off as "Electro Swing", but nowadays a bit more varied. Loads of great live acts, good vibes, and open latest(?) of anywhere on site (4/5AM finish depending on how long the venue manager can keep partying for).

Advice on fancy dress: Look stupid all the time - if you look normal you'll stick out like a sore thumb. People go to real efforts on the Saturday for the theme...

Having been to more Shambalas than I can remember I Agree with a lot of this. However I don’t agree with the fancy dress comment. Yes there is a lot of dressing up and people love it. However I have NEVER worn fancy dress or glitter shit , and I feel very comfortable and accepted. Nobody looks at me funny or singles me out with comments. That’s because generally Shambala people are so friendly. They never would. So yeah do it if it floats your boat but don’t think you have to. Do what makes you happy.

50 minutes ago, big__phil said:

Hey everyone. First Shambala for quite a few years (it'll be my third in total), and I can't remember if set times are released in advance, or if we need to buy a programme? Anyone know?

Thanks!!

The last couple of years they've been on the (free) app, but  it's not been updated for this year yet.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, incident said:

The last couple of years they've been on the (free) app, but  it's not been updated for this year yet.

Cool, thanks!

On 7/2/2019 at 11:19 PM, sogryp said:

...and Friday is traditionally Fruity Friday - pretty much everyone cross dresses.

Oh really? This wasn't a thing last time I went (or perhaps I just didn't notice).

On 8/19/2019 at 2:05 PM, big__phil said:

App has now been updated for this year, including times which is nice.

Anyone know how strict they are with the amount of booze you can take in? Their website says something like 8 cans and half a litre of spirits per person. Is this strictly enforced?

I was wondering that too. People on Facebook groups seem to think it's only a rough guideline and they're not too strict, but if anyone here who's been before can clarify that'd be great.