99.3% of all tents taken home

plot2pot

I feel like that figure of only 0.7% left behind is made up. There was a vast improvement over previous years, even considering the weather but a damn sight more than 0.7% were left (i did leave at 7am mon though)

The bit that got me the most was not wading though 8" of shite on the stage fields late at night, that was an improvement. Looks like were moving in the right direction. 

18 hours ago, gordong said:

Why on earth would you slash the tent? I can’t fathom that, truly shocking. 

It was my first time at Glastonbury at this year, so don’t have anything to judge it against - but still seen a fair bit of littering. Smokers seemed to be really bad, just flicking their butts on the floor when they were done.

Makes my blood boil - everything you drop needs to be picked up by someone else. Small bits like butts must be an utter pain to pick up. 

They are. The whole site has to be finger-tip picked and every last one of those cigarette butts has to be picked up so they don't make the cows sick if they eat them...

Just now, incident said:

Just like Emily selectively used one of the best areas to be positive about the improvement, it's a case of selectively using the worst area on site to try and turn it into a negative.

I would actually point out - while that picture of Oxlyers is probably the worst on site, there's not all that many actual tents in the picture. Most of it is bin bags and assorted rubbish.

I've obviously missed the point regarding tents as there definitely seems less, I'm talking more about the leave no trace aspect – apologies if it came across as negative, really wasn't the intention I was just surprised by that stat. I'm all for the improvement.

What she said and what's being disputed is that almost all the tents were taken.

Clearing everything into little islands of bin-bags as they developed across camping was what we used to do since much more was turd polishing. This step towards actually taking those all to the bins is astonishing and I can only imagine because the rest was ending up that tidy as all the tents left

Most of Michaels Mead, Hitchin Hill side of the site looked like a golf course when we were walking out at midday on Monday. Great to see. 

Apart from these lads. This is about a third of what they left behind. 2 or 3 tents to the right too.

If you look through the hedge you can see the bins, quite literally a 10 second walk away.

5wwi11.jpg

1 hour ago, MJP said:

We had the big geo dome covered in space blankets to keep us cool. :)

Just wish there was a trackway that went up through the campsite to speed up getting to the tent.

I did wonder who that was! Seemed a bit gazebo-y for my liking at first but I did appreciate the effort and ingenuity. Was relieved to see that camp clear come Monday morning too, doubly so now I know it was an eFester!

Edited by Bin Fish

Checking the webcam, the camping areas still look a mess - think the 99% figure is festival propaganda (probably to shame the ones that left their shit behind).

However I must say it was much nicer not wading through a sea of plastic bottles at every stage and generally the site seemed cleaner and by Monday lunchtime emptier.

Hopefully 2020 will be even cleaner

2 hours ago, Bin Fish said:

I did wonder who that was! Seemed a bit gazebo-y for my liking at first but I did appreciate the effort and ingenuity. Was relieved to see that camp clear come Monday morning too, doubly so now I know it was an eFester!

We negotiated with the stewards and somebody was asleep in it most of the time anyway. :D

Handed our a roll of green and black bags on Friday, then got the stewards to have a word with the nearby lads with an actual gazebo on Sunday, hope they cleared down when leaving.

14 minutes ago, Penrhos said:

Checking the webcam, the camping areas still look a mess - think the 99% figure is festival propaganda (probably to shame the ones that left their shit behind).

Did wonder this...

1 hour ago, Penrhos said:

This is just you writing negative propaganda as some sort of balance then?

1 hour ago, Penrhos said:

I'm sure it's the case that the figure has been calculated using the best case numbers (lowest estimate of tents left behind vs the highest possible number of tents on site, and probably calculated after tatters have gone and retrieved anything worth having). I don't see that as being a problem.

But to be honest, looking at the webcam and the various photos that have been posted here and elsewhere, I do think that most of the mess we can see left behind are bin bags and other assorted shit rather than tents - I'd be pretty confident that if it was even possible to come up with an impartial and accurate number, it'd be well above 90% and even over 95% wouldn't surprise me. Which by any standard is miles better than has been seen for a very long time.

While I don't like people leaving bin bags and other assorted debris scattered around the fields either, at least in the short term the focus has been on tents as the most egregious and unnecessary waste so it's going to have to be one step at a time in changing peoples behaviour.

2 hours ago, Penrhos said:

However I must say it was much nicer not wading through a sea of plastic bottles at every stage and generally the site seemed cleaner and by Monday lunchtime emptier.

Hopefully 2020 will be even cleaner

Remember the stat was purely about tents, not bags of rubbish, chairs etc.   I imagine it might be closer to 95% maybe but still a vast improvement.

It looks like on the webcam that clean up teams are sweeping the fields - Oxylers getting the treatment at moment. 

Wish the webcam had a better view of Pennard's as it's not exactly looking clean right now. 

Having camped in Bushy I felt it was cleaner than in previous years. I left just before 8am on Monday so can't really comment on how many tents had been left behind although I did suspect that one massive eight person tent by the middle loos had been left behind which is a shame. Surely for a similar price of dumping a massive tent each year you could stay in the tipi fields?

2 minutes ago, andyhh said:

Wish the webcam had a better view of Pennard's as it's not exactly looking clean right now. 

Having camped in Bushy I felt it was cleaner than in previous years. I left just before 8am on Monday so can't really comment on how many tents had been left behind although I did suspect that one massive eight person tent by the middle loos had been left behind which is a shame. Surely for a similar price of dumping a massive tent each year you could stay in the tipi fields?

The webcam seems very dirty since Monday. I'm not going for a conspiracy theory but..! 

On 7/2/2019 at 4:02 PM, sprocketrocket said:

It is a great sounding stat but when you consider the festival has a 200000 ish capacity, if each person had a tent that's 14000 tents left behind.

But let's assume when you take it o account camper vans and people sharing tents etc your looking at maybe 150000 tents (pure estimate please correct me if you know better) you're still looking at 10500 tents left behind....

You need to check your maths, my friend, 0.7% of 150000 is 1050.

On 7/2/2019 at 5:57 PM, jonnyisRFC said:

The majority of tent slashing is done by people after the festival has ended at Reading. I’ve walked around the Reading campsites on the Tuesday morning before (it’s open to the public) and there’s 100s of non festival goers walking around slashing tents looking for left over booze and valuables. 

However, there was a few homeless people who were there and they were collecting left over sleeping bags and stuff which was nice to see them not go to waste. 

I cannot get inside the tent slashing mindset. At. All.  I mean... what actually motivates these people?  I don't get it.