99.3% of all tents taken home

plot2pot

1 hour ago, EasyUserName said:

Oxlyers was worse than Paines, but not by much (based on my one visit).  Like I say, this little pocket of Paines by Park was awful, by far the worst. 

Our group have camped in this bit for the last few years (although further over, before half got taken by Arcadia crew) and it went to absolute shit this year. Awful Reading vibe. We obviously took all our stuff back like we always had but you knew the others wouldn’t. Don’t know what’s happened there - we’re never going back again.

Edited by theevilfridge
snip

1 minute ago, theevilfridge said:

Our group have camped in this bit for the last few years (although further over, before half got taken by Arcadia crew) and it went to absolute shit this year. Awful Reading vibe. We obviously took all our stuff back like we always had but you knew the others wouldn’t. Don’t know what’s happened there - we’re never going back again.

Yeah, I’d go so far as to say the campsite was the worst bit of the festival for me. Being up at the top had the massive bonus of zero through-traffic and more space, but every time we climbed through the maze of cans, gazebos, inflatable chairs and guy rope barriers it felt a little less like Glastonbury.

No idea why it was so bad this time, a couple of years ago we were golden, but you’re right we’ll definitely be looking elsewhere next time. 

It was a weird area, based on the rubbish left behind.  The number of Nitrous cylinders!  Incredible!

I thought I'd lucked in, when I found a wine cask unopened, until I thought it felt "odd".  Opened up the box to find no wine but it stuffed full.  Guess that was to get them past security. 

I'm surprised you could sleep with all the "whoosh" noises there must have been!

2 minutes ago, EasyUserName said:

It was a weird area, based on the rubbish left behind.  The number of Nitrous cylinders!  Incredible!

I thought I'd lucked in, when I found a wine cask unopened, until I thought it felt "odd".  Opened up the box to find no wine but it stuffed full.  Guess that was to get them past security. 

I'm surprised you could sleep with all the "whoosh" noises there must have been!

I only really tried to sleep between about 5am and 8am each day, and not at all on Sunday night, so thankfully not an issue!

I walked the site at 4 pm on the Monday, not having that 99.3% figure. Loads of broken/dumped tents. Definitely over 90% taken.

Lots of stick for Oxylers in here I was at the top by crew caravan and everyone was great all weekend and took their stuff with them.

5 hours ago, sprocketrocket said:

Do you think the weather helped? Are people more likely to dump a wet muddy tent than a nice dry one? 

Hell yes, if you are the type to even consider not taking your tent home, then it being covered in mud will definitely tip the balance.

6 hours ago, sprocketrocket said:

It is a great sounding stat but when you consider the festival has a 200000 ish capacity, if each person had a tent that's 14000 tents left behind.

But let's assume when you take it o account camper vans and people sharing tents etc your looking at maybe 150000 tents (pure estimate please correct me if you know better) you're still looking at 10500 tents left behind....

5 hours ago, sprocketrocket said:

Please don't get me wrong, any improvement is good, I'd just like to know actual numbers. My job involves a lot of data, and when someone quotes a percentage to me without the numbers that make it up I'm always a bit intrigued and a bit suspicious.

#prayforsprocketrocketsjob

?

44 minutes ago, Smeble said:

Hell yes, if you are the type to even consider not taking your tent home, then it being covered in mud will definitely tip the balance.

There was an older bloke on here a few years ago who quoted with pride that he'd only left his tent behind 2 or 3 times and justified it that on a muddy year he wasn't going to put dirty things in his car.  Twat.

Muddy years are definitely worse for people dumping stuff, hopefully if we see continuing improvement from the audience as a whole we have a chance that by the next time there's a muddy one the days of people believing it is acceptable to dump all your shit and walk away will be long gone.

Closes thing I could ever find for the number of tents in onsite public camping was 2007 license which states :- 

“The Licensee shall provide a minimum of; 
145 hectares for public camping based on 430 tents per hectare “

So just over 62k  expected  that year and although more camping fields have been added the number of weekend tickets has stayed roughly the same 

13 minutes ago, fur_q said:

Closes thing I could ever find for the number of tents in onsite public camping was 2007 license which states :- 

“The Licensee shall provide a minimum of; 
145 hectares for public camping based on 430 tents per hectare “

So just over 62k  expected  that year and although more camping fields have been added the number of weekend tickets has stayed roughly the same 

Worthy view has appeared, too - I believe the capacity is about 10k people up there but I dunno how many tents that equates to - it does mean onsite camping fields are a bit less cramped these days (and anecdotally i think that too, tents aren’t absolutely cheek by jowl like they were mid 2000’s) 

Edited by balti-pie

5 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Worthy view has appeared, too - I believe the capacity is about 10k people up there but I dunno how many tents that equates to - it does mean onsite camping fields are a bit less cramped these days (and anecdotally i think that too, tents aren’t absolutely cheek by jowl like they were mid 2000’s) 

I seem to remember that although they considered there wasn’t quite enough camping space in 07 this was because people where bringing larger tents rather than more of them  so I would assume that the the overall numbers haven changed too much 

16 hours ago, EasyUserName said:

My scavenge "range" from Campervan West covered Rig's, Baileys, South Park, Paines, into Park Home and one trip to Oxlyers.

My slashed tent story was in Oxylers, but for me the worst field was the small pocket in (I guess) Paines, on the edge of The Park & Arcadia (see below). 

image.png.d9385718f4e14a95c47723aa79677a4b.png

It was in this field that I found this lovely mess left behind ...

image.thumb.png.1839c46bed59c7cec29b3fd522f51003.png

I mean seriously, who leaves a toilet tent complete with overflowing toilet and used loo roll bits all on the ground?  I guess the "smiley face" flag was meant to be ironic? 

I feel for the clean-up crew with stuff like this. 

This bit of Paines was absolutely stuffed with Nitrous cylinders too.  Thousands upon thousands, in pretty much every dumped tent in this area (and there were plenty of dumped tents in this spot).  It was by far the worst area that I saw.

Rig's was the best - I'd be surprised if there was more than 3 or 4 tents at the end abandoned.  South Park 1 & Baileys were a close second with only a handful left.  Paines (generally) wasn't too bad, although it was there that I got my best beer finds.

Oxylers was worse than Paines, but not by much (based on my one visit).  Like I say, this little pocket of Paines by Park was awful, by far the worst.

This is our usual field - it's classed as Park Home. I think that Glastonbury-on-Sea has displaced some c**ts from Pennards, as we had a lot more bruvs around.

Towards the crew camping fencing, it seemed to be pretty clear, just the odd arsehole that we always get.

18 hours ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

So someone has gone through and counted all the patches of grass where tents were and then counted how many left from there? Seems very easy for an algorithm to do in about 10 seconds with an aerial photo.

Fixed it for you, grumpybum.

6 minutes ago, MJP said:

This is our usual field - it's classed as Park Home. I think that Glastonbury-on-Sea has displaced some c**ts from Pennards, as we had a lot more bruvs around.

Towards the crew camping fencing, it seemed to be pretty clear, just the odd arsehole that we always get.

Yeah, though it was still technically part of Park Home. We must’ve been camped just further up than you!

Just now, Bin Fish said:

Yeah, though it was still technically part of Park Home. We must’ve been camped just further up than you!

We had the big geo dome covered in space blankets to keep us cool. :)

Just wish there was a trackway that went up through the campsite to speed up getting to the tent.

18 hours ago, bluedaisy said:

It always amazes me how well the volunteers, charities and wombles clean the site - I wonder how much of this is down to them? Or did 99% of people actually take their stuff home because that would be major victory if that was the case.

A lot of the media/public have been highly critical of the festival's double standards the past few days and the festival needs to keep addressing this issue.

A quick look at the webcam this morning sadly says otherwise. Perhaps Emily's message is more an effort to plant the seed that it's now become more the norm to 'leave no trace,' making those that didn't feel a little shame into feeling they were a minority. Clever :)

Screenshot 2019-07-03 at 10.02.18.png

3 minutes ago, CajunMoon said:

It's also nothing like the picture Emily posted either though to be fair.

Just like Emily selectively used one of the best areas to be positive about the improvement, it's a case of selectively using the worst area on site to try and turn it into a negative.

I would actually point out - while that picture of Oxlyers is probably the worst on site, there's not all that many actual tents in the picture. Most of it is bin bags and assorted rubbish.