99.3% of all tents taken home

plot2pot

3 minutes ago, chatty said:

I would say a vast amount are shared and not just by two people but often 3/4 plus. That'll cut that stat in half at the least. Prob guessing around 2/3000, still a lot but it won't change overnight. That's a good result for this year.

I think a lot of stuff like leaving things behind, littering, peeing on the land, plastic is a drastic improvement on 2017 so gotta look at it as an overall succeas.

Please don't get me wrong, any improvement is good, I'd just like to know actual numbers. My job involves a lot of data, and when someone quotes a percentage to me without the numbers that make it up I'm always a bit intrigued and a bit suspicious.

44 minutes ago, EasyUserName said:

He was saying he saw the owner pack up and leave, and went over to get the tent only for her to notice him coming, go back and slash the tent in three places right in front of him, sending it straight to landfill.  Crazy.  It was still there when were talking - a brand new ok-ish tent, ruined for no reason.

What an absolute c**t.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I haven't been suffering from the Glasto Blues but that Pyramid field photo just booted me right in the feels

Same I've been absolutely fine until I saw all this, most beautiful I've seen the place - we really can be the change.

If there was less than 140,000 tents (which I'd say is likely considering campervans, WV, people sharing tents etc.) and what EE says is accurate, that's less than 1000 tents left behind. 

Utterly remarkable and wonderful news for the festival.

It also makes me feel positive that messages about the environment are having a real impact on a wide scale.

Edited by Dan R
Someone had already replied.

Looking at that overhead shot - it looks like certain "Groups" of people have left their shit behind and "Oxlyers" does seem to attract them..

Perhaps EE should consider converting it to pre-erected tents in the future (or would that just push the scumbags into the better areas?

24 minutes ago, Padgey said:

Oxlyers, typical!

My scavenge "range" from Campervan West covered Rig's, Baileys, South Park, Paines, into Park Home and one trip to Oxlyers.

My slashed tent story was in Oxylers, but for me the worst field was the small pocket in (I guess) Paines, on the edge of The Park & Arcadia (see below). 

image.png.d9385718f4e14a95c47723aa79677a4b.png

It was in this field that I found this lovely mess left behind ...

image.thumb.png.1839c46bed59c7cec29b3fd522f51003.png

I mean seriously, who leaves a toilet tent complete with overflowing toilet and used loo roll bits all on the ground?  I guess the "smiley face" flag was meant to be ironic? 

I feel for the clean-up crew with stuff like this. 

This bit of Paines was absolutely stuffed with Nitrous cylinders too.  Thousands upon thousands, in pretty much every dumped tent in this area (and there were plenty of dumped tents in this spot).  It was by far the worst area that I saw.

Rig's was the best - I'd be surprised if there was more than 3 or 4 tents at the end abandoned.  South Park 1 & Baileys were a close second with only a handful left.  Paines (generally) wasn't too bad, although it was there that I got my best beer finds.

Oxylers was worse than Paines, but not by much (based on my one visit).  Like I say, this little pocket of Paines by Park was awful, by far the worst. 

1 hour ago, Penrhos said:

Does it matter who's taken them home - provided they don't go into landfill.

Yes! In our local community we have a team of volunteers who do regular weekend litter picks. Would it be okay if everyone dropped litter because it would ultimately be picked up by someone else?

1 hour ago, Coppello said:

I wonder how much of that was weather related or just an increased awareness/consideration of the usage of plastic and other resources? 

I wondered that - a muddy tent that needs drying out and cleaning is much less appealing to take home than a clean dry one!

That toilet photo has made me so angry. These people should be banned for life. They should really go a bit more militant about people making a mess during the festival - let’s face it, if there campsite is a riot during the fest, are they likely to clean it all up on Monday when they’ve all got a hangover and are coming down? 

I'm unsure how they've actually calculated it that accurately - surely they'd need to know exactly how many tents were taken into the site in the first place?

Counted at least 10-15 abandoned tents where we were at Michael's Mead within a 50 metre radius at 1pm. Maybe it was just that field?

Either way the site seemed very clean and I saw a lot of people going to much more effort than in past experiences. Well done to all those people.

Just wanted to jump in and defend some of the people that camp in Oxlyers. Mainly as I’m on of them!

Camp there for the location as I love how close it is to The Park and Other where I spend a lot of time.

Saw a lot of twats leaving stuff but we’re not all scumbags I promise :) Took all our stuff home and even some other people’s shit to the bins.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, EasyUserName said:

He was saying he saw the owner pack up and leave, and went over to get the tent only for her to notice him coming, go back and slash the tent in three places right in front of him, sending it straight to landfill.  Crazy.  It was still there when were talking - a brand new ok-ish tent, ruined for no reason.

Exactly the same thing happened near us in Dairy. Left the place an absolute fucking shit hole and when we went to potentially womble the tents found big slash marks right though them and snapped poles. 

Fucking morons 

Edited by Digi

1 hour ago, Penrhos said:

Tent slashing is a common practice a R&L - I don't want in but F*ck anyone-else having it. Wasters, should be banned.

The majority of tent slashing is done by people after the festival has ended at Reading. I’ve walked around the Reading campsites on the Tuesday morning before (it’s open to the public) and there’s 100s of non festival goers walking around slashing tents looking for left over booze and valuables. 

However, there was a few homeless people who were there and they were collecting left over sleeping bags and stuff which was nice to see them not go to waste.