99.3% of all tents taken home

plot2pot

It always amazes me how well the volunteers, charities and wombles clean the site - I wonder how much of this is down to them? Or did 99% of people actually take their stuff home because that would be major victory if that was the case.

A lot of the media/public have been highly critical of the festival's double standards the past few days and the festival needs to keep addressing this issue.

I suspect all the decent ones left behind have been "Wombled" - If I hadn't ended up at the back of East CV I was planning on a Monday wombling session but it was just too much effort.

Does it matter who's taken them home - provided they don't go into landfill.

21 minutes ago, plot2pot said:

From the horses mouth - great to hear! Still annoyed about the 0.7% - but still!

image.png.ab3c47f5281da7789694b21677e48bd9.png

I left mine...

But was in Worthy View. In all seriousness that's an incredible stat, I wonder how much of that was weather related or just an increased awareness/consideration of the usage of plastic and other resources? 

Just now, Penrhos said:

I suspect all the decent ones left behind have been "Wombled" - If I hadn't ended up at the back of East CV I was planning on a Monday wombling session but it was just too much effort.

Does it matter who's taken them home - provided they don't go into landfill.

Yes it matters. This problem will never be addressed if people still feel it's acceptable to leave large are areas of waste for someone else to deal with, with no consideration of where it may end up. 

Boomtown festival was very clear to everyone that the vast majority of tents left behind are never used again and end up in landfill.

• Upvote 1

My chums reported that generally the site was cleaner but they were still shocked at the amount of tents and wrecked camping equipment left behind. Not sure this should be reported as "taken home". But still impressed that things are improving. Good weather obviously helps. Fingers crossed it continues and hopefully one day people really will 'leave no trace' . ?

Saw plenty of people collecting tents (& other stuff) on the Monday after the festival.  I myself "recycled" around 250 cans of beer (& an assortment of other items).  I had no room left for a tent or two, otherwise I'd have taken some. 

I'm skeptical of the 0.7% left figure though - saw plenty of scrap tents.  Was talking to a camping field steward at one point and he told me about a tent he'd had an eye on.  He was saying he saw the owner pack up and leave, and went over to get the tent only for her to notice him coming, go back and slash the tent in three places right in front of him, sending it straight to landfill.  Crazy.  It was still there when were talking - a brand new ok-ish tent, ruined for no reason.

Edited by EasyUserName

Why on earth would you slash the tent? I can’t fathom that, truly shocking. 

It was my first time at Glastonbury at this year, so don’t have anything to judge it against - but still seen a fair bit of littering. Smokers seemed to be really bad, just flicking their butts on the floor when they were done.

Makes my blood boil - everything you drop needs to be picked up by someone else. Small bits like butts must be an utter pain to pick up. 

1 minute ago, EasyUserName said:

Saw plenty of people collecting tents (& other stuff) on the Monday after the festival.  I myself "recycled" around 250 cans of beer (& an assortment of other items).  I had no room left for a tent or two, otherwise I'd have taken some. 

I'm skeptical of the 0.7% left figure though - saw plenty of scrap tents.  Was talking to a camping field steward at one point and he told me about a tent he'd had an eye on.  He was saying he saw the owner pack up and leave, and went over to get the tent only for her to notice him coming, go back and slash the tent in three places right in front of him, sending it straight to landfill.  Crazy.  It was still there when were talking - a brand new ok-ish tent, ruined for no reason.

How pathetic. Somebody to lazy to take their tent and to selfish to let another benefit. She should of come over and said thank you for tidying up for me. As well as apologize for being a lazy fucko. Some are beyond help. Bet she had my ticket too. I really don't like this person. ?

It is a great sounding stat but when you consider the festival has a 200000 ish capacity, if each person had a tent that's 14000 tents left behind.

But let's assume when you take it o account camper vans and people sharing tents etc your looking at maybe 150000 tents (pure estimate please correct me if you know better) you're still looking at 10500 tents left behind....

9 minutes ago, sprocketrocket said:

It is a great sounding stat but when you consider the festival has a 200000 ish capacity, if each person had a tent that's 14000 tents left behind.

But let's assume when you take it o account camper vans and people sharing tents etc your looking at maybe 150000 tents (pure estimate please correct me if you know better) you're still looking at 10500 tents left behind....

I have nothing to back this up but would assume it’s a lot less that 150,000 tents. 

24 minutes ago, gordong said:

Makes my blood boil - everything you drop needs to be picked up by someone else. Small bits like butts must be an utter pain to pick up

They are. Not picked at Glastonbury but part of my summer job as a student years ago was litter picking a leisure park. Butts were the absolute bane of my life along with wasps.

19 minutes ago, sprocketrocket said:

I would say a vast amount are shared and not just by two people but often 3/4 plus. That'll cut that stat in half at the least. Prob guessing around 2/3000, still a lot but it won't change overnight. That's a good result for this year.

I think a lot of stuff like leaving things behind, littering, peeing on the land, plastic is a drastic improvement on 2017 so gotta look at it as an overall succeas.