Toilets

dulcificum

Compared to other years in my experience the toilets this year were great. Barely had to queue for a long drop in the areas I was in and I only rejected a couple of traps where someone had actually curled one out on the seat. Didn't use the composters as I'm more of a fan of having the open air to breathe. 

The CV portaloos in East were a mixed bag, when they had been cleaned they were perfectly fine, I did however experience a couple of walnut whips which I had to reject and at around 2pm on the Wednesday there was already a used condom in one.

Kudos to the loo crews who must have had their work cut out in the heat this year.   

As an aside, but on the same topic of educating people; I thought that the additional Water Aid kiosks were a great addition to the site given the weather this year. However, I did on several occasions see huge queues for these with people with empty bottles in hand when there was:

a) A tap actually on the outside of the kiosk going unused; and

b) Taps at adjacent toilets going unused or with very light queues compared to the water kiosk. 

I was actually told by someone on either Wednesday or Thursday whilst filling up at one of the standpipes near the loos that they thought that "...they had changed it this year so it was drinking water was only at the kiosks."

16 hours ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

The cyclist field had clean compost toilets throughout. Interesting all but two stalls were designated as sit-down only, men and women. 

Now I know such a rule won't be followed as diligently at many of the toilets across site but perhaps some cleaver engineering type could design a trap that can physicaly only be used sat down. There's a challenge for someone!

yep was in cycling field - loos were spotless all weekend

4 hours ago, ripcurl85 said:

a) A tap actually on the outside of the kiosk going unused; and

Saw the opposite, someone bending down to about 1 1/2 feet above the ground to fill their bottle up from the tap, whilst a couple of feet away a happy smiling person stands ready and waiting.

I never had to wait more than a few seconds for a fill and we did it very regularly all weekend.

I do think there was an improvement on these this year. First year I've ever not been in a blue Turdis (!)which was quite refreshing. I didn't end up in any over-flowing/blocked urinals either, and Mrs Presentable said she queued a lot less.

I'm baffled by people going into the urinals to then piss on the wall. It just strikes me as bizarre. Also, why would you leave empty cups/cans in a urinal? I don't litter, but even the floor would be a better place for them.

Toilets seemed less stinky this year, only used a longdrop a couple of times as there was good coverage for urinals around the site (good job GFL), so I can't really comment on the state of them.  Both the ones I used were good for a quick wipe with a tissue before flesh touched seat.

I think the Park/Pangea toilets need way more units. Its such a busy junction for nearly all of the Park, Pangea, Pennards hill camping and all traffic moving from the Other stage (and more) - just constantly busy all day and night. I came across the same sized blocks all over the site that were hardly used (John Peel, Woods). Also some composters near there wouldn't have gone amiss!

Seen a couple compost loos on Wednesday lunchtime with dirty used condoms in, no doubt from those plugging drugs to bring into the festival. 

As a whole though, I thought the toilets were pretty good this year. Still baffles me how people can leave a turd on the seat in a long drop though...

I also saw that gross sight.  Honestly folks, contrary to popular opinion it is not necessary to hide your drugs up your arse.  Security aren't opening every fag packet, sandwich and digging through your hair gel, split your drugs up in multiple places in what you pack and if they find some they don't find it all.  Shitty condoms dumped at the toilets is wholly unnecessary.

On 7/3/2019 at 10:25 PM, Cammers said:

Compost toilets every single day!

So impressed with the cleanliness.

There was always a steady queue which made everyone respect them, knowing that someone was guaranteed to follow. 

I used almost all composts in 2017. Almost all long drops this year. Honestly, the long drops were actually better.

Composts were much worse than usual and the ones between Arcadia and Other were already overflowing by Friday. And they are the same composts at dozens of other festivals where somehow they are kept much cleaner. I didn't see any sawdust/soil or cups after Wednesday so they weren't really being looked after.

On 7/10/2019 at 2:26 PM, dulcificum said:

I used almost all composts in 2017. Almost all long drops this year. Honestly, the long drops were actually better.

Composts were much worse than usual and the ones between Arcadia and Other were already overflowing by Friday. And they are the same composts at dozens of other festivals where somehow they are kept much cleaner. I didn't see any sawdust/soil or cups after Wednesday so they weren't really being looked after.

The composters in Paines were pretty feral at times. Whereas the longdrops I encountered were generally very good. 

Most of the long drops I used were in good nick, I think most people did a good job using them. You cant account for he handful of complete reprobates that dont know how to use a toilet... god only know what their houses must look like.... 

On another note I stayed in Worthy View and they are struggling to provide adequate facilities there. There was a ton more people staying there this year and no extra toilets or showers from previous years. 

The money some people are paying and the money they are making is mega and they need to provide better facilities. 

1 hour ago, Havors said:

Most of the long drops I used were in good nick, I think most people did a good job using them. You cant account for he handful of complete reprobates that dont know how to use a toilet... god only know what their houses must look like.... 

On another note I stayed in Worthy View and they are struggling to provide adequate facilities there. There was a ton more people staying there this year and no extra toilets or showers from previous years. 

The money some people are paying and the money they are making is mega and they need to provide better facilities. 

I noticed that, they could do with more bogs, big queues in the morning though there were quieter ones down at the food tents 

Was in the back of E16 and the turdis were fine apart from Monday morning and the one I went in Thursday at 5AM that some c**t had emptied their toilet cassette and some nappies into it overnight..

I thought most of the bogs were fine all weekend - much better than usual.

Still too many people pissing up the outside of the urinals and too many cups/cans in the troughs. I only bailed on one all weekend and that was near Greenpeace on Wednesday evening where there was a 6" turd curled up on the back of the seat.

23 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

I noticed that, they could do with more bogs, big queues in the morning though there were quieter ones down at the food tents 

Yeah but after a couple of days even those ones ended up very busy. The biggest issue for me was the showers... 4 hours queues apparently at some points... ended up getting a wash under a bucket of cold water for 2 of the days. The fact they sell places for well over 5k people (up towards 10k if i had to guess) and there is about 80 showers total male and female is a bit silly. 

They need more bogs and more showers.

• Upvote 1

The main issue is with the long drops is men using them when they need a wee and getting the seat wet. 

The next person then hovers and it gets worse and worse. 

My plan was to use the loos in areas where the crowds wasn’t so near camp sites in the evening and stages in the morning. Worked out ok, I’ve see worst loos at work. 

I thought the toilets were mostly fine too. The worst thing I saw was the first time I used a compost loo and found some shite covered condoms on the seat from someone who had obviously stashed the drugs up their arse and then fished them out as soon as they got on the campsite.

The worst sights I saw were in compost toilets at the top of Pylon on the border with Darble, around 4am Monday morning. In more than one stall, somebody had obviously squatted above the seat, let everything out, and left it there. Absolutely repugnant, both the sight and the person.