Worthy View 2019 Review

jambla

First time at both the festival and WV, can't imagine not using WV now to be honest!

We used the showers on Thursday and Friday but couldn't on Saturday as they had turned them off and didn't bother on Sunday as the queue was massive. Frustrating but nothing could be done about it. Maybe another shower block at the top of the site would be a good idea to manage queues a bit better? Not sure how practical that is though.

The ability to use a proper toilet was a godsend for me and my partner, both first time festival goers (any festival). But again, could use a couple more units of the proper toilets to help with the queues.

Really appreciated being able to turn up whenever we wanted on Wednesday and have the tent already set up. The sherpas on site were fantastic too, offering help without even being asked! Easy exit on Monday was the cherry on top.

Will definitely try to go again, ticket gods dependent!

Second visit to the festival this year and stayed at WV for the first time.

Previous visit was in 2016, when we parked in pink car park after the best part of 12 hours stuck in traffic, then lugged all of our gear through the mud to PGA and set up on the first available patch of grass we could find. All of my group are the wrong side of 40 and not exactly fighting fit to put it politely; after that we agreed we'd give WV a try next time we attended.

To be able to just drive up pretty much to the gate and have a 5 minute walk to a ready (and correctly) pitched tent was a revelation. The staff were very friendly, and the guy showing us to our tent even offered to carry some of our gear. The canvas bell tent was more than big enough for the 4 of us and all of our stuff, and was very cool at night, so no problems sleeping (at least until the sun started really cooking at around 9am).

The toilets were very clean, but very busy around peak times and if I had to nitpick they could've done with having a few more portaloos around the place. Was pleasantly surprised also that despite the queues they were generally left by the last user in a state which you'd wish to find them. Only used the shower once on the Friday morning when I just walked straight in around 7:30am. Tried the same on Saturday and was met with a long queue which I couldn't be arsed waiting in. Not long after that the showers were turned off anyway, so it was a scrub down with cold water at the nearest sink for the rest of the weekend.

The hill was an issue for me, especially after a day walking around baking in the energy sapping sun, however the problem is of my own making as I'm fat and bang out of shape. I've now made a promise to myself to lose a few stone and get in better shape in time for next time. ? 

Would definitely stay there again. ?

3rd time at wv car park is great hill is hard work after 12 plus hours on your feet but always stop at strummerville for a break . Definitely more tents in wv than 16 and 17 shower queues were bigger but we just get by cant be bothered wueing for an hour .

The toilet queues in morning were something I hadn't really noticed b4 but volunteers were great keeping them clean and stocked with loo roll .

The pros definitely outway the cons won't be at festival next year to much else on but will use wv next time I go .

2 hours ago, Mardy said:

I’m a bit pissed off about the airbed situation. Paid 30 quid deposit (for 3 airbeds) and then the place was closed when we tried to return them on Monday morning. So we had to leave without getting the money back

That’s pretty naughty, they must have known the majority of people would want their deposits back on Monday morning so to close and leg it with the deposit money is shocking.

I’d flag it up to the WV team.

• Upvote 1

It was definitely worse this year. Worse toilets, longer queues, showers going off etc.

My wife has refused to stay there next year it was that bad.

Having said that, it is a step up from general camping - the quick entrance/exit to the car park is great, the showers were better this year (enclosed cubicles) and the wheelbarrow dudes are really helpful. The 'premium economy' Glasto.

Edited by Flying_Hellfish

1 hour ago, Yokel Again said:

Do many families stay in WV? Weighing up future options for taking the kids. 

I have taken my eldest two daughters 13 and 12 to the previous couple of festival staying at Worthy View both times and I intend to take my twin boys both 9 to the next couple.  I cant recommend Worthy View enough for this especially for the parking in the field next to your tent aspect.

You don't see too many families with very young children, however this is probably due to getting a pram up and down the steep hill which would be no fun in a muddy year but still possible.

You just have to email Worthy View pre festival with the names of your kids.

7 minutes ago, worthyraver said:

I have taken my eldest two daughters 13 and 12 to the previous couple of festival staying at Worthy View both times and I intend to take my twin boys both 9 to the next couple.  I cant recommend Worthy View enough for this especially for the parking in the field next to your tent aspect.

You don't see too many families with very young children, however this is probably due to getting a pram up and down the steep hill which would be no fun in a muddy year but still possible.

You just have to email Worthy View pre festival with the names of your kids.

Thank you! Mine are currently 8 and 5 - grandparents have had them last 8 years, but they are getting older and I REALLY want to take them, just in the least exhausting way (for all!) possible. Family camping gets rammed from what I hear by Weds. 

5 minutes ago, Yokel Again said:

Family camping gets rammed from what I hear by Weds. 

Cockmill does.. The other family camping field, Wicket, is apparently a lot more spacious even if you turn up late.

This year was my 9th Glastonbury but first at Worthy View. 4 of us stayed in a 6 person scout tent and there was loads of room. It was great not having to worry about getting in early to get a good spot and the short distance from the car park to the campsite was an absolute godsend. It was very, very quiet where we were – which was great for getting some sleep but if you wanted a party atmosphere you’d have been disappointed.

I thought the showers were good, the water was hot and there were separate cubicles. Whilst there weren’t enough toilets the ones that were there were well maintained.

Couple of downsides – we were in row C1 which was a fair walk from the site entrance. It wasn’t too bad for us as we’re an ‘in for the day’ kind of group but if you like to pop back for warm clothes/beer etc. it would take a good hour or so out of your day.

The hill was a killer but the views from the top were superb. I imagine it would have been much more tricky to get up it on a muddy year.

Whilst the toilets were well maintained there definitely weren’t enough of them and they weren’t spread out enough. From where we were camped it was a good few minutes’ walk to the nearest loos which meant that loads of lads were using the side of a portacabin at the end of our row, which wasn’t pleasant.

All in all the pros definitely outweigh the cons and we’d look to stay there again next year

Edited by Ruth1980

We are in two minds about going back. The carparking is a godsend. We vary in fitness levels but we cant deny we are the wrong side of 50 . We done 18 years in the main site and know we cant go back to it, two of us have problems with joints and the hill was a killer. I wpildnt say it was WV but the hill in Strummerville. We spent alot  of time wondering if it was possible to have some kind of little tilly bus we were willing to pay anything! So now our only option is Tangerine Fields? We would love a  but does anyone know how the carparking works? What does one need to do to get tickets for the area behind the other stage?

• 1 month later...

Positive  - your tent is already up so no need to stress about getting in early to bag a good spot.    There is virtually no lugging of stuff needed compared with the main site.   Carpark is really close to the camping.  The 2 man scout tents are really roomy.  We got all our stuff in no problem.  It’s also much quieter than on site camping.

Negatives – There weren’t enough toilets this year.   I get up pretty early so I was ok but if you were up any later than 8am there were lengthy queues for the toilets.   Not ideal.   They also don’t mess about on Monday so if you had a late one you’ll find they’re closing everything from after 9am.   It’s a proper pain trying to find a toilet then.

There are showers but these do get busy in the mornings.  It’s not worth bothering every day.    The hill is steep but there’s no need to rush.  Best to take your stuff with you so that you don’t need to come back during the day as it can take a while if you’re camping a long way back from the gate. 

1 hour ago, Harry49 said:

There is always a thread on pilfering in general camping, worst fields etc How about Worthy View what are the crime statistics like?

Never heard of any trouble in the years I've been staying up there.

Not worth the extra expense for those who are coming in solely to steal stuff.

• Upvote 1

Just now, shoptildrop said:

So are there toilets in each of the different tent areas, or do you have to go to the main entrance part?

Can imagine that being a bit of a pain for those middle of the night trips or when you need to go quickly :huh:

One main block near the centre with a few portaloos scattered around.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...