I left no trace

wilko8

I know it’s what we’re meant to do...but for whatever reason this has always eluded me in previous years. There’s always been the odd forgotten can or cup, lost bottle top etc. 

But this year I can categorically state we left no trace. Every can, cup, plate, napkin went in the correct bin and we took all our shit home. 

The litter, even in the main stage fields, didn’t seem as bad this year. And I definitely saw lots of people making the effort to take their rubbish to the bins. Maybe the message is getting through. 

Who else left no trace?

• Like 1

Same here - we made the effort, setting the right example to our kids (who came with us for the first time this year), and I'm pleased to say I saw lots of other people doing the same.

Our campervan is completely trashed though...will take the whole of next weekend to put right  ?

Aye, left nowt behind again. Even on the walk from campsite to Ped A for the bus on Monday I managed to drop all the random rubbish from inside my tent into the right bins.

Like a lot of others it does get frustrating when the bars dont use the steel cups, although I do get that it would be an issue down to time and H&S. Feel like there has to be some way round it, otherwise the point of the cups becomes a bit redundant :(

I left no trace either.

BECAUSE I COULDN'T GET A TICKET.

Bah. Still gutted.

On another note, we went to a local-ish festival for the day on Saturday instead to try to ease the pain (It didn't). They were serving pints in disposable plastic glasses. I kept taking ours back to the bar each time and asked them to just re-use the same ones, and they looked at me as if I was mental.

My favourite reply from the bar staff was "nah mate, it's ok... you don't need to use them more than once... we've got thousands of them here."

YES MATE. THAT IS MY $%&*ing POINT.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, AiiShotTheDJ said:

No trace from me- including cigs which were stubbed out and put in and old box until I found a bin.

I've always wondered why the festival never made more of a thing about cigarette ends before. The first year I went I saw Michael's Q&A in the speakers' forum and he had a real grumble about fag ends being really hard to completely clear in the litter picking, and they're bad for the soil and often get eaten by cows.

Put everything in the bins provided and our camping area was spotless when we left. Squashed cans during sets and just kept them in my bag or pocket until afterwards. I find the laziness and lack of respect of some people quite baffling. The state of the hill on Wednesday evening was atrocious.

Also spotted a few people pissing in bushes including a group of girls at the back of the Pyramid field, a stones throw from the long drops. I gave them a piece of my mind and just got gawped at like I was an idiot.

Edited by AmyShambles

4 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I've always wondered why the festival never made more of a thing about cigarette ends before. The first year I went I saw Michael's Q&A in the speakers' forum and he had a real grumble about fag ends being really hard to completely clear in the litter picking, and they're bad for the soil and often get eaten by cows.

Once upon a time the Green Police used to give out little portable ashtrays to stick your cig ends in. I generally just use a paper cup from one of the bars, stick my tab ends in there, fold it over a few times and then stick it in my bag 

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

These things are brilliant

https://www.myashtray.com/

They were dishing them out at Beautiful Days last year for a small donation, but you can get them online as well. I'd love to see the festival make more of promoting them, meant I didn't drop a single butt all weekend

I shall invest for Kendal ? Festivals are actually the only time I ever smoke these days. Rest of the time I vape

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

I felt really guilty when I left. A huge square patch of grass, COMPLETELY flattened. And it was such a lush patch of grass when we arrived. 

Love the farm, leave no arse prints in the grass

13 minutes ago, AmyShambles said:

Put everything in the bins provided and our camping area was spotless when we left. Squashed cans during sets and just kept them in my bag or pocket until afterwards. I find the laziness and lack of respect of some people quite baffling. The state of the hill on Wednesday evening was atrocious.

Also spotted a few people pissing in bushes including a group of girls at the back of the Pyramid field, a stones throw from the long drops. I gave them a piece of my mind and just got gawped at like I was an idiot.

I caught the edge of something like that (may have even been you!).  Near the bar, in the gap in the hedge, looking towards the stage by the road.  A couple of women went past me muttering and swearing, after some sort of "thing" in the very small area of hedge there.  My partner told me someone had tried to go and have a wee in there and got told off.  Couldn't believe someone thought it was a good idea!  It was a very exposed spot, and there was literally hundreds of people about.  Crazy you'd think it would make sense, and even more to feel aggrieved when told off! 

We took some gardening gloves so even picked out the pegs that others left near us in Darble and so many glitter face gems! Not so bad that I found nearly a tenner in change whilst doing so too, can't imagine what you'd find once the crowds leave pyramid stage

We hadn't created any rubbish around our tents but I still picked up stuff that had blown around or was nearby.

It saddens me to see there still seems to be quite a bit of mess in some fields on the webcam.  Looks way way better than previous, so its a start. 

I left my newly purchased steel cup :( In the tiny tea tent near the back if anyone found it! Didn't register until the next morning :( and a little rubbery vape tip end that pinged off into the crowd at the front of the pyramid never to be seen again.

Other than that it's been a matter of pride for some time if only to be able to say it can so easily be done. I thought there was a remarkable increase in completely clean campsites around, lots of people getting the idea now.

38 minutes ago, Quark said:

These things are brilliant

https://www.myashtray.com/

They were dishing them out at Beautiful Days last year for a small donation, but you can get them online as well. I'd love to see the festival make more of promoting them, meant I didn't drop a single butt all weekend

I used to stub out my nubs and stick them in a battered packet in the back pocket to empty at a bin later.  Some chap saw me doing this at leftfield one year and came over and gave me one of those.  Been using it ever since, both at the festival and outside.  A couple of years ago my son joined the club and does the same.  As with everything with litter, it is about taking responsibility for the consequences of your own actions. 

Doesn't hurt to occasionally pick up a bit of other people's rubbish either, if you consistently provide a decent example to people and they see the benefit of not living in their own shit then who knows?  They might just come around and improve a little themselves.

I stood outside the Oxfield bins for a couple of minutes shifting the recyclable plates from the rubbish bin to the recycling bin - it’s volunteers only up there, and there’s nice big signs on the top of the bin, how can do many people f**k that up? I doled out some very vicious Tuts and Tsks ??

Yes I can sayhand on heart we left nothing, paper beer cups and any cans were flattened and put in bins, everything right down to the smallest sweet wrapper was either taken away or put in the proper bins, no wipes but heated water on a burner and washed with hot flannels. Very refreshing I might add.

but as usual we were shocked by the state of the fields in the aftermath of a performance.  If someone takes six cans of lager on to a field then they carried them in somehow or other in a bag or back pack.  Surely then it would be easy to flatten the cans and take them to a bin? They weigh next to fuck all .