Other Stage Speakers

PrenticeH

Is it just me or does the Other Stage need another row of speakers? Obviously the Pyramid has 3 rows and even West Holts has 2 rows so I don’t get why the Other Stage gets away with just 1? I often find that unless you make your way in close to the stage that sometimes all you can hear is bass.

Im sure in the past there was a second row, does anyone know why that was removed?

I think the wind deffo changed direction Saturday evening and turned from blowing away from the other to being towards it. We camp in Bushy ground and things were quieter when sitting off there due to the wind change. On the plus side the wind change cooled things down a bit.

Watched all 3 headliners on the Other. Didn't feel like the sound was ever bad or disappointing.

Watched both Tame Impala and Chems, behind and to the right of the sound booth and had an amazing time, and could hear everything (except the few talkers during Chems).

For Christine was front and center infront of sound booth and was amazing. TDC also sounded great. 

Only person that sounded bad was arguably Billie, but I think that is more due to the nature of her songs and quiet vocals. Bad Guy sounded great on the instrumental parts.

We camped Oxlyers and were near the top right, about 1-2 mins from the coop and could hear things fine from our tent. We even heard the legendary perfomance from Alex ft Dave while getting changed into warmer clothes as sun was setting.

So yeah, felt like Other stage was awesome this year, no complaints from our group.

Edit: a second row of speakers may actually be too much considering how close Oxlyers is. If you're camped by the path closest to the stage might get very loud during soundchecks at 10:30.

Edited by Acid Loafers

"How many rows of speakers" isn't really the right question though.

Different sound systems work in different ways - The Pyramid and West Holts use a Martin MLA system which is designed to use multiple delay stacks to more accurately control the footprint of where the sound is - and isn't. The extra speakers at those stages are arguably more about limiting sound bleed into other areas than they are about covering the actual field.

The setup at the Other Stage (can't remember exactly what it is off the top of my head but Google will know) is of a different type and given the geography I don't think bleed into other areas is going to be as much of a concern.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, incident said:

"How many rows of speakers" isn't really the right question though.

Different sound systems work in different ways - The Pyramid and West Holts use a Martin MLA system which is designed to use multiple delay stacks to more accurately control the footprint of where the sound is - and isn't. The extra speakers at those stages are arguably more about limiting sound bleed into other areas than they are about covering the actual field.

The setup at the Other Stage (can't remember exactly what it is off the top of my head but Google will know) is of a different type and given the geography I don't think bleed into other areas is going to be as much of a concern.

I was trying to explain this to someone at the festival, but you put it much better than that.

For me its easily the worst stage at the festival, always has been the years I've been.

I'd say always avoid it unless theres someone you really want to see, and if there is someone you want to see, get a space infront of the sound desk and as far forward as you can.

I always find theres no atmosphere in any part of the field behind the sound desk, and the sound is patchy and travels bad over it, while in the Pyramid field you can chill really far back and enjoy pretty much anyone thats on, sitting back in the other stage field is just a waste of time.

I stood about 15 rows infront of the desk for Dave and it was great, watched the Chemical Brothers to the right of the desk about say another 20 people away, and the sound was patchy some times a decent volume other times sounding at about half the volume of what Dave seemed at.

Edited by lukemack

Is it still the same as before (d&b j series)? these are still line arrays like the PS and WH but I’ve always assumed lack of delay towers was because the audience area is wide throw whereas PS and WH are long throw. I think the problem is that the OS field just sufferers much worse from crosswinds because of the topography of the site and that’s always going to cause problems for line array setups. Point source would possibly be a better option in that particular field but the noise restrictions in the license make LAs the only practical option. 

The wind had a lot to do with it. We were camped in paines (past Arcadia). On Friday night Tame Impala was that loud, we were having to talk very loudly at the tent. 2 tunes in, we went down to have a watch as they sounded good. It was weird... it wasnt as loud at the back of the field, it was louder at the tent!

We stayed til 11:15 before heading up to Arcadia as planned.

I watched Tame Impala from far right hand side and it wasn’t great. I was sure the wind was blowing away from us which didn’t help.

The next night I had a better spot for the Chems, fairly central, and was a bit better - however being at The Cure for the Sunday really noticed an incredible difference, amazing quality.