Fitbit steps and stats

dccool

First time I've had a fitbit at Glastonbury so was interested to see how many steps I'd walked / danced......

89 miles over the 5 days!

I covered 24 miles on Sunday which was my best day probably down to the fact I didn't go to bed and powered right through.

I managed 13 hours sleep over the 5 days. 6 of which were on Wednesday, 2 Thursday and 2 Friday, none on Saturday then 3 on Sunday.

Screenshot_20190701-184433_Fitbit.jpg

Please no...distances are massively over exaggerated using Fitbit. Wave your arms about a bit and you’ll gain hundreds of steps. If your a regular runner you’ll understand there’s no way these Fitbit distances quoted are accurate. 

This wasn't a Fitbit clocking but a decent Pedometer which i understand fully is not fool proof but have to say, i have done further checking up on distances between places and reckon this aint that inaccurate.  The only ill effect was sore heals from the constant heels strike day after day.  All that time in the Military (past Life) has clearly developed my Glastonbury resilience well in order to strike the balance of voulunteering for a good cause and getting completely smashed for a week ?

From the fitness thread

I will put the caveat in first that i know that Pedometer steps are very subjective and do not relate very easily to miles walked.

now that is established, get your head round this tale of the tapes. The general guidance is 10000 steps is 5 miles (subjective}.

I travelled down by train on the Monday and made my way to Glastonbury Town to camp below the Tor.  This involved a lot of trolling about to visit the Abbey etc and a not insignificant pub crawl.  Tuesday, a pal and myself travelled from Paddington Farm to the site and walked from the drop off point at Ped Gate A to Toms Field which is the “WaterAid Field” directly behind Worthy Farm.  We then spent the next 5 days putting in an average of 21 hours per day being up and about. These days included a 6 hour shift for WaterAid walking around the site and then getting straight on it after shift getting “refreshed” and watching bands like all the other lovely people.

i just wanted to set the scene to give you some frame of reference. 

The steps from Monday to Monday totalled 354000

That could represent in the region of 177 miles for the week! That is an average of a marathon a day with one day being 70000 steps or 35 miles. That was the Saturday when i had a 6am start and then was watching the lovely Proclaimers by 12:30 and stayed on it until the early hours of Sunday. 

Do i win then?

On a different note, this is exactly why it will ALWAYS be walking boots in preference to Wellies ?

Doubling my steps would be impressive - I was very happy this year though, back up to normal performance after all the wonky. I love having the tracker there - it's a perfect festival watch being able to see messages/calls without risking phone being out all the time and the info can be really interesting. I was surprised to see my step rate went up markedly while I'd lost my boots, but I was having a lot of fun

This was a hurried screenie when I quickly synced before my tracker died, now at 154,769 steps and 130km/80miles - distance will be over though thanks to overenthusiastic dance steps which it sometimes picks up. Saturday was active 8am to 6am, most until 4ish and back up at 8 - very alarming to see it thinks I only had 4 hrs 49 mins deep<<edit> sleep over the festival which would explain why everything was getting a bit trippy and trembly by the time I got home. Late arrival and zero-queue situation made a real dent on Wednesday though. 

HukN3ey.jpg

So basically the passive relaxed Glastonbury was a fail - shall have to try again next time

Edited by frostypaw

1 minute ago, Giraffe Man said:

80 miles from pm weds to mon am on my Garmin which doesn’t register dancing as steps. I was working though. Calves sore & a blister but otherwise fine.

I have been thinking about this today in a pondering moment.

You know if you are dancing (really dancing) not just shaking the hips and arse, is this not the same as running on a treadmill?  I did a lot of "really dancing"  with every night into morning being spent in some rave area or another. 

2 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

I have been thinking about this today in a pondering moment.

You know if you are dancing (really dancing) not just shaking the hips and arse, is this not the same as running on a treadmill?  I did a lot of "really dancing"  with every night into morning being spent in some rave area or another. 

Pushing 60 so “really dancing “ isn’t an option sadly ?

Data from my Garmin watch

Weds 23,918

Thurs 23,191

Fri 45,504

Sat 39,048

Sun 27,796

Was good Monday and Tuesday by going the gym and a run so total steps for the week a new record 204,666 (Beating Glastonbury 2017 week around 167,000)

Nowhere near my daily record of 60,653. Though I did run the London Marathon that day !!!

All that and I still have a large beer belly ?

Edited by faymondo

I've finally added up my steps, and I just have my phone doing the record but l've tested it before and it's extremely accurate, and this DOES include dancing but to be fair I do dance pretty hard. 

203,172 steps from Weds to Mon, which according to my phone is 149 km and 92.6 miles!

I'm fifty in 3 weeks and have to say, i am very pleased with my physical and mental resilience to crack a week in Somerset with the regime it was of constant action.

Only issues were sore heels from all the heel strike which reared its head yesterday hobbling around Temple Meads but feel fine now after a proper sleep in a proper bed and (without going into all details), little bit of chaffing in the "nethers"  through perspiration /  heat combination on Saturday (you know... because it was freezing)..

That required a trip to the on-site pharmacist or things were going to go downhill quickly if i didnt.  I was charged the bargain price of 5 quid for a 50ml pot of vaseline! That was the only time over the week where i literally said to the server  "5 quid ! ..... get in the fuckin sea".

Then purchased it...

1 hour ago, dccool said:

First time I've had a fitbit at Glastonbury so was interested to see how many steps I'd walked / danced......

89 miles over the 5 days!

I covered 24 miles on Sunday which was my best day probably down to the fact I didn't go to bed and powered right through.

I managed 13 hours sleep over the 5 days. 6 of which were on Wednesday, 2 Thursday and 2 Friday, none on Saturday then 3 on Sunday.

Screenshot_20190701-184433_Fitbit.jpg

The sleep stats would really freak me out, I'm better off  telling myself I'd actually had more sleep than I really did 

The heat did it for me - at 57 and overweight it was really draining.

However I did manage to clock up a reasonable 160,000 Steps 70 miles Thursday-Sunday but had to have 5 hours sleep a morning to do it.

Also despite drinking my weight in alcohol and eating loads I'm 4lbs lighter than when I went.

I walked a lot this year, probably more than my usual .. most days over 20k and some at 40k and 56k... I converted it to miles - 102 miles in total.  Though I suspect several hours of dancing on Saturday and Sunday night might've bumped the figures up a fair bit.

2 hours ago, MetaKate said:

I've finally added up my steps, and I just have my phone doing the record but l've tested it before and it's extremely accurate, and this DOES include dancing but to be fair I do dance pretty hard. 

203,172 steps from Weds to Mon, which according to my phone is 149 km and 92.6 miles!

no wonder you barely stopped when we met :) busy getting those miles in :) wow 

93.8 miles between Wednesday and Sunday. Got to admit by Sunday I was aching!! I think I did so much because of my sciatica keeping moving was better than staying still so I danced a lot and I know the step count can be misleading because of clapping etc but it still shows that you were active. Dancing is often more energetic than walking would be. On my activity a couple of times it said I'd done sport or an aerobic workout. 

65780737_10157385717427065_3588968637832101888_o (1).jpg

Clocked up just over 55 miles from Wednesday to Sunday, which I'm quite impressed with given i'm mid 40's, substantially overweight and do not get along at all well with temperatures over say 23C. Would have been a lot more but a good few hours of each day Thursday to Sunday were spent lazing around in the shade for self-preservation purposes.