Acts On Wrong Stages/Times

chatty

18 minutes ago, briddj said:

Friendly Fires was an absolutely PARTY in the John Peel. It went off from start to finish. People surfing on a pizza slice throughout. One of my weekend highlights.

What he said - the atmosphere was bouncing and it was almost full but you could still dance

8A2BB6C8-A7A4-4A27-9F78-5530A5458836.jpeg

46 minutes ago, Homer said:

What he said - the atmosphere was bouncing and it was almost full but you could still dance

8A2BB6C8-A7A4-4A27-9F78-5530A5458836.jpeg

That was possibly my fave set of the weekend.  They absolutely blitzed it. Fantastic atmosphere and just enough room in the middle to cut loose.

Can't wait to relive it on iPlayer.

7 hours ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Was anyone at Bananarama? I felt Avalon was a strange choice for them. Early doors on Pyramid would have made more sense. I wanted to see them, but didn’t think I’d get anywhere close given the time they were on, unless I sacked off someone else to get there early. Was I right?

I went.

Got there about 15 minutes before stage time and while there was a crowd outside the tent I was able to easily navigate it and there was a reasonable amount of space inside towards the back. I reckon you'd have been fine up to about 10 minutes before stage time.

Edited by incident

Said before but The Streets on John Peel was baffling. I also think Dave should have been earlier in the day judging by the crowd size. Don’t get me wrong, I went and absolutely loved it and would put it in my top 5 sets, but I pretty easily got quite a great spot even though I arrived 5 minutes before him. 

9 hours ago, Digi said:

Yeah, I think EE really screwed up there. Never seen Strummerville so packed. I was lucky to be right at the front but it was always my intention to go and see Johnny Lloyd first anyhow

Johnny Lloyd was great! 

Never heard of him before, went for Frank Turner and was really impressed. 

Was anyone at Bananarama? I felt Avalon was a strange choice for them. Early doors on Pyramid would have made more sense. I wanted to see them, but didn’t think I’d get anywhere close given the time they were on, unless I sacked off someone else to get there early. Was I right?

I had a few friends who went there and didn’t complain about the crowding, as I was under the same impression. They also said they were great (sorry to rub it in)! 

Does anyone know why the full line up wasn’t printed in the programme or the mini one? I don’t remember it being like that in previous years, meant you needed a phone (which I didn’t have, not a smart one anyway) to get on the glasto website to view the full line up

I went for Nahko and medicine for the people and arrived when they was on. Whole field was packed. MILF/GILF central. 

It overflowed into Avalon cafe, people stood in there moaning that the band on were playing when Bananarama were on. 

9 hours ago, chatty said:

Didn't bother with Gerry Cinnamon because I knew it would be ridiculous on John Peel and so I heard this was a correct assumption. Seems an odd choice as their was plenty acts on Saturday on the Other that would have been better suited to John Peel and the crowd would have been better as well.

We actually went to the JP tent to get some shade at 11 knowing we would be there at 2 for Gerry Cinnamon, saw two other bands and even at 1pm the hordes started arriving, the heat was rising and there were tons of shirtless sweaty lads pushing in. We actually decided just to leave in the end because the heat was obscene and it was only getting worse due to the crowds.

Agree with the Park being difficult for Foals - know it was a "secret " set but we couldn't hear a thing and it was really disappointing. 

I had a few friends who went there and didn’t complain about the crowding, as I was under the same impression. They also said they were great (sorry to rub it in)! 

8 hours ago, JSmurphy said:

Did anyone see Keane on the Acoustic Stage? Always seemed a very weird spot for their only show of the weekend. Woulda thought they could have still pulled a significant crowd on one of the bigger ones.

Totally agree. To make it worse, the stage was running late so I had to leave to go to the Killers before they started :(

Foals on park stage just didn’t do it for us. The sound wasn’t good enough for them. Maybe the wind didn’t help too.

We were so excited to see them but left early to try and avoid the Liam Gallagher crowds.

Tame Impala were never going to be placed anywhere else but I was slightly disappointed they had to tone back their production.

In the run up to the festival, KP had suggested they'd be bringing their full stage setup with the 'UFO' used at Coachella and their arena shows. I'm sure he said something like 'Glasto is one of the only places big enough to host it'. I was surprised to hear this considering the Other stage is a pretty standard festival stage.

The huge screens used at Coacehlla were also obviously never going to be at Glasto but they do really add to the performance.

Still the highlight of the festival for me though!

I did think having bring me the horizon up against Kylie was absolutely bonkers. They should’ve had a much much bigger act up against her... but I think they did it entirely on purpose. I love the festival but they’re very clever with how they present it and market it. A ‘record’ crowd for Kylie would’ve looked amazing on tv, even when in reality it was borderline dangerous in some places.

12 hours ago, Digi said:

Saturday afternoon with Johnny Marr (Other) Liam Gallagher (Pyramid), Courteeners (Other) and the The Killers (Pyramid). The demographic watching was always going to be very similar and the bottlenecks getting from Other to Pyramid and back again was a bit of a pain the arse 

Well put. Was caught in between Marr and Liam with snoozing 5 year old in cart. Was like a Wildebeest migration. 

18 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Well put. Was caught in between Marr and Liam with snoozing 5 year old in cart. Was like a Wildebeest migration. 

Sorry... me and not so minime were part of the herd. We walked nicely though! ?

11 hours ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

I went to see She Drew the Gun, so was fortunate enough to be in John Peel early for Gerry Cinnamon, it was great in there, but very hot! He clearly should have been at a bigger stage. Crowd was biggest I’ve seen in there that early.

We left straight after SDTG because it was so hot and we just don’t get the Gerry thing...went and hid in the Hare Krishna instead

3 hours ago, redrog said:

Totally agree. To make it worse, the stage was running late so I had to leave to go to the Killers before they started :(

I was gutted too as it meant having to sit through some of Keane whilst waiting for Hawkwind to follow them! :D 

JP is a difficult one. It’s a great venue for the right act at the right time, but being in a dip if its too busy then it’s utterly pointless being there unless you’re within about 5 metres of the tent.

I’ve been there for acts like years and years and Phoenix when they were up against the foos and just strolled into the tent, but for acts like the streets it’s amazing if you’re in there but pointless if you aren’t. 

11 hours ago, hodgey123 said:

No worries at all..... I had a great time by then, wasn’t too bothered, and it allowed me a wee Hobgoblin Gold inspired recharge back at the tent before the final push!

20 hours ago, Jne___ said:

I wasn't there at all sadly - but friendly fires on John peel seemed so out of place. I saw them at all points east in the early evening last year, and it was such a perfect  atmosphere for it - lots of sun and nostalgia, good dreamy sounds  - very easy going and suited to the type of thing they play. just can't see the atmosphere of jp suiting at all 

I wasn’t sure about that beforehand but to be fair it really worked. One of the best atmospheres I experienced all weekend (among tough competition), it properly went off.

Edited by MEGABOWL

Repeating what many have said:

Gerry Cinnamon - looked a ridiculous decision as soon as it was announced..... it was!

The Streets - Could have easily swapped with Janelle Monae

Kylie - The Acts they had against her were never going to be sufficient.  Was probably the biggest crowd I’ve ever seen on the pyramid.  If they’re going for an Elton etc... then they really need to separate the crown with other big acts 

Foals - Sound was rubbish, would of been better to stick them on the other opposite Kylie or something similar as a special guest.