Acts On Wrong Stages/Times

chatty

This happens every year at pretty much every festival but who do you think could have done with a bump, moved around a particular clash. Who suffered due to their stage/set time. 

Can do the more positive acts they got spot on as well but couldn't think of a way to incorporate it in thread title.

Fatboy Slim at The Glade was pretty ridiculous. Had a peak, saw how rammed it was then done one. It messed up the flow of the Other/Left field area and that portion of the track as well making it a nightmare to get anywhere.

Didn't bother with Gerry Cinnamon because I knew it would be ridiculous on John Peel and so I heard this was a correct assumption. Seems an odd choice as their was plenty acts on Saturday on the Other that would have been better suited to John Peel and the crowd would have been better for both.

Similarly heard The Streets should have been bumped to Other at least as well.

3 minutes ago, chatty said:

Fatboy Slim at The Glade was pretty ridiculous. Had a peak, saw how rammed it was then done one. It messed up the flow of the Other/Left field area and that portion of the track as well making it a nightmare to get anywhere.

He’s a name which the average punter not into dance music recognises. I avoid pretty much every slot he’s booked in for that reason. He’s still a major dance act so I don’t understand why he is crammed into small spots.

10 minutes ago, chatty said:

This happens every year at pretty much every festival but who do you think could have done with a bump, moved around a particular clash. Who suffered due to their stage/set time. 

Can do the more positive acts they got spot on as well but couldn't think of a way to incorporate it in thread title.

Didn't bother with Gerry Cinnamon because I knew it would be ridiculous on John Peel and so I heard this was a correct assumption. Seems an odd choice as their was plenty acts on Saturday on the Other that would have been better suited to John Peel and the crowd would have been better for both.

For an act like that they need to remember that Glasto does a huge dance variation and people who attend like so he needs to be recognised more like he would be at say Creamfields and give an Other sub spot realistically. Just dark enough for his lights to be worth it, I'd earmarked him as an wasn't bothered with Stormzy and I don't see Fat Boy unless there is a clash I dont really care for. It's been happening for too long now that acts don't play a slot they should be, happened with Dua Lipa last year too...couldn't get in the tent at all and it shows a lack of planning. They moved Billie Eilish but kept them the same....surely Gerry even if I'm not a fan should have been a lot higher or two on Other as well. As much as I still love going, the places isn't in the same hands as it was 3/4 years ago.

22 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

He’s a name which the average punter not into dance music recognises. I avoid pretty much every slot he’s booked in for that reason. He’s still a major dance act so I don’t understand why he is crammed into small spots.

The Glade was a particular bad shout though, I mean the capacity can only be a couple of thousand tops.  Add to the fact that Solardo had a fairly massive crowd on before he arrived (it was a banger of a set I might add) - I actually dropped to the back of it when FBS came on as you had so many dickheads just pushing through when there was clearly no space in front.   

36 minutes ago, chatty said:

Elvana at William's Green. I think the festival really underestimated how popular these guys would be and some of us ended up so far away from the tent that we were singing along to the crowd rather than the band. I couldn't even catch a glimpse of Elvis Cobain.

And Lauryn Hill, any stage after 1998.

Edited by Gabi_says

Saturday afternoon with Johnny Marr (Other) Liam Gallagher (Pyramid), Courteeners (Other) and the The Killers (Pyramid). The demographic watching was always going to be very similar and the bottlenecks getting from Other to Pyramid and back again was a bit of a pain the arse 

10 minutes ago, Losing my hair said:

Frank Turner at Strummerville on Thursday and then to announce it was a ridiculous decision.

Yeah, I think EE really screwed up there. Never seen Strummerville so packed. I was lucky to be right at the front but it was always my intention to go and see Johnny Lloyd first anyhow

3 minutes ago, Gabi_says said:

Elvana at William's Green. I think the festival really underestimated how popular this guys would be and some of us ended up so far away from the tent that we were singing along to the crowd rather than the band. I couldn't even catch a glimpse of Elvis Cobain.

And Lauryn Hill, any stage after 1998.

Sorry to rub it in but i was front of the stage and it was fantastic. A real highlight from the festival. 

(Would add Janet Jackson to LH)

• Like 1

Yeah The Streets are definitely the prime candidate here. Could’ve and should’ve swapped places with Christine and the Queens on the Other Stage. Even swapping for an earlier slot on the Pyramid Stage would’ve made more sense.

Think they also made a mistake not having any obvious clashes for that Kylie/Miley run. Pyramid was dangerously busy in spots and it’s clearly not built for literally half the entire festival to turn up. The sheer amount of people that just stay in between and sit or even lay down right at the front is baffling - got to the stage where I wasn’t even sorry if I accidentally stepped on someone’s foot or bag, I’m not really sure what else they expect.

I wasn't there at all sadly - but friendly fires on John peel seemed so out of place. I saw them at all points east in the early evening last year, and it was such a perfect  atmosphere for it - lots of sun and nostalgia, good dreamy sounds  - very easy going and suited to the type of thing they play. just can't see the atmosphere of jp suiting at all 

Foals at Park Stage was disappointing mainly as the sound wasn't up to it, the other nearby venues are too close (Bimble Inn especially) and the wind noise on the ribbon tower drowned everything out if you were any further back than the sound desk. There were some good spots where the sound was better (we moved around a few times), but it was easily the worst for any act I heard, and sadly it was for my favourite band.

Edit: There were loads of people on the hill at the start who virtually all disappeared after a couple of songs.

Edited by jimbobno1
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Bixer said:

Yeah The Streets are definitely the prime candidate here. Could’ve and should’ve swapped places with Christine and the Queens on the Other Stage. Even swapping for an earlier slot on the Pyramid Stage would’ve made more sense.

Think they also made a mistake not having any obvious clashes for that Kylie/Miley run. Pyramid was dangerously busy in spots and it’s clearly not built for literally half the entire festival to turn up. The sheer amount of people that just stay in between and sit or even lay down right at the front is baffling - got to the stage where I wasn’t even sorry if I accidentally stepped on someone’s foot or bag, I’m not really sure what else they expect.

That was mad - it was so much busier further  back then in the middle because of the sitters

May do a separate thread / go into more detail on that later actually

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

I think he’s on a mission to play on every stage at the festival (pyramid could be interesting).

Thought it was weird that Sons of Kemet were on The Park rather than West Holts. Also didn't help that the Foals secret set was on next, field was getting busier and busier but lots of people still lying down or just chatting. Made it really hard to slip out early so we could get to Low on John Peel.

1 hour ago, chatty said:

It was packed, even on the way there there was hoards of people heading that way after The Proclaimers, and we got there fairly early as well.  I'm certain he'll play a bigger stage next year, from what he was saying it pretty much sounded like he'll be back next year. 

58 minutes ago, Jne___ said:

I wasn't there at all sadly - but friendly fires on John peel seemed so out of place. I saw them at all points east in the early evening last year, and it was such a perfect  atmosphere for it - lots of sun and nostalgia, good dreamy sounds  - very easy going and suited to the type of thing they play. just can't see the atmosphere of jp suiting at all 

Friendly Fires was an absolutely PARTY in the John Peel. It went off from start to finish. People surfing on a pizza slice throughout. One of my weekend highlights.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, briddj said:

Friendly Fires was an absolutely PARTY in the John Peel. It went off from start to finish. People surfing on a pizza slice throughout. One of my weekend highlights.

haha! I don't doubt that - I just think their sound suits an outdoor stage! will have to watch it on the old I player 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jne___ said:

haha! I don't doubt that - I just think their sound suits an outdoor stage! will have to watch it on the old I player 

Unfortunately, even as a big FF fan, I think they would struggle to pull a decent crowd on the big outdoor stages after so long away.

1 minute ago, briddj said:

Unfortunately, even as a big FF fan, I think they would struggle to pull a decent crowd on the big outdoor stages after so long away.

park was my thunkin' . the stage I saw them on at APE was a smaller one with a similar sort of feel to the park...  and I think it would suit the kind of elevated feeling with the sun set and the views you catch out the corner of your eye... although seen a lot of people on here saying the sound wasnt too great up there so who knows! 

I went to see She Drew the Gun, so was fortunate enough to be in John Peel early for Gerry Cinnamon, it was great in there, but very hot! He clearly should have been at a bigger stage. Crowd was biggest I’ve seen in there that early.

i thought the run on Pyramid.... Years and Years, to Kylie, to Miley and then having Billie Eilish starting on Other at the same time as Miley finished was ridiculous. Fan base (Kylie aside) very similar, made getting into Pyramid for Kylie harder than it was going to be anyway, and forcing a choice between missing end of Miley or start of Billie. That didn’t need to happen. 

4 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

I went to see She Drew the Gun, so was fortunate enough to be in John Peel early for Gerry Cinnamon, it was great in there, but very hot! He clearly should have been at a bigger stage. Crowd was biggest I’ve seen in there that early.

i thought the run on Pyramid.... Years and Years, to Kylie, to Miley and then having Billie Eilish starting on Other at the same time as Miley finished was ridiculous. Fan base (Kylie aside) very similar, made getting into Pyramid for Kylie harder than it was going to be anyway, and forcing a choice between missing end of Miley or start of Billie. That didn’t need to happen. 

I think she drew the gun crowd was made worse by people looking for shade Gerry was always going to get big crowd . We went over tent was rammed .

Agree about miley overlapping Billie eilish  madness