Working it

Larraht

After not managing to get tickets this year and suffering this weekend, I've resolved not to miss another and will be taking matters into my own hands if I don't manage to get tickets in October. 

Those who have volunteered, would you mind sharing your experiences? Did you enjoy it? Are you exhausted? What is good/bad about volunteering?

I am fortunate enough to have a contact who may be able to offer a poistion in welfare but also applying for samaritans too (I have a background in this sort of work)...failing those options, Ill give anything a go. 

Many thanks

Volunteered with Oxfam for the first time

Pros

I went to Glastonbury!

great campsite with showers, only a stones throw from the car

Monday and Tuesday to roam the festival and hit the crew bars

get to be part of something I love

Cons

3 x 8hr shifts. I was lucky with the shifts I was given (2pm to 10pm weds, 6am to 2pm fri & 10pm - 6am Sat) but it still had quite a big impact on the surrounding times (early to bed Thurs, feeling knackered Sunday)

long walk in every day as the Oxfam field was about a 10 minute walk outside of gate B

If I don't get tickets in October I will definitely try going with Oxfam again

This year I volunteered for Shelter via Avalon events and worked on the Stonebridge bar serving drinks to regular punters.

Pros

I went to Glastonbury (and got in for free)

Showers and free food 

No queuing to get onto site and coach dropped us off outside Ped gate C

Access to crew bars

Was on site Tuesday so got to walk around before it was open to the public.

Met some new people and everyone was friendly.

Didn't consume as much drink/drugs as usual as I had to work so made my recovery time much quicker!

couple of free drinks after my shift finished.

Cons

Had to work some late shifts (weds 2.30pm-10.30pm, fri 9pm-5am & sun 7pm-3am) so meant I didn't really get to explore at night as much with coupled with the heat during the day meant I didn't see as much as I wanted to.

Missed a lot of bands  I wanted to see

some people didn't turn up for their shift so meant working harder to cover them.

punters getting ratty when we had run out of certain drinks or complaining at me about the prices.

the late shifts (finishing at 5am then having 30 min walk back to our camp) really knackered me out as I didn't get to sleep till 6am sat morning and then heat drove me out of the tent really early

wasn't allowed to bring my own car to the site, had to get an organised coach from Bristol which also meant me having to stay in Bristol on Monday night to make sure I got it on tues am although coming back was find and we left worthy farm 11.30am and I was home in oxford by 4pm.

I would defiantly do it as a back up if I failed to get tickets in October. 

Some people get great shifts on not-so busy bars, some others don't its the luck of the draw tbh.

Edited by gooner1990

it's well worth it. the shifts can seem long but you are never alone, and the company you have with you is almost guaranteed to be good - in fact I liked all the volunteers i interacted with over the week. 

I also found it made me way more economical with my spare time; no lazing around at camp or periods of nothingness. I saw more this yr than I ever have before. it can take a toll on the energy levels for sure, especially if your night and morning shifts clash with nights you are keen to experience. but if you're clever with. Napping and eating well then it's fine!

I guess I know it's worth it because I haven't come home thinking about the festival as an experience as a volunteer, it's just the same as the other years I've been... Or better. 

Edited by rock the clock
Blurgh

13 minutes ago, Smash1984 said:

Random one but do all the crew get a party once the festival has closed i.e on the Monday night?

There is stuff happening on Monday night, yes.. But as far as I know not many volunteers stick around for it, it tends more to be area crews who worked flat out on show days, and people involved in the break.

Both my brothers worked this year.

One always does - he's a massage therapist and is stationed in the disabled area trying to keep people going over the weekend. He loves it and I'm about as proud of his work there as I am of anything our family does. He's managed to embed himself in the inclusive spirit of the festival and I try to thank him whenever it occurs to me.

The other one missed out on tickets due to an expired registration that he hadn't checked (?) and managed to get some work litter picking. Had to do a 6 hour shift each afternoon (1pm-7pm I think) but he said it was a pretty good atmosphere with the other workers, he got some free meals and had access to decent showers too. He said he'd definitely do it again and preferred it to the years when he's got in with a press pass to do reviews for a local mag.

Edited by Magma

I volunteered for Oxfam and really enjoyed it. Me and my friends completely lucked out with shifts. I worked Weds 5.45am - 2pm, Thurs 1.45pm - 10pm and Saturday 5.45am - 2pm, so missed very little music and saw all three headliners. Others definitely not so lucky. Might have completely changed my experience had I got different shifts.

Pro’s

Got to go for free!

Got to arrive Monday - missed all the traffic coming in, saw an incredible sunset from the top of park, and felt like a real privilege to see the site empty of the masses and still being built.

Secure campsite with clean compost toilets, showers, phone charging, and a meal token per shift. Round the clock catering team and could buy cold soft and alcoholic drinks. Car was one minute walk from tent.

Oxfam team were really friendly and helpful. Was very professionally organised. On shift, the supervisors and rest of the team were great too. Made some new friends and met lots of cool people.

Access to crew bars and some of the shortcuts.

Scannable EPO wristbands meant we could bypass the queues of normal punters at the ped gates during busy times.

Cons

Definitely changes how you experience the festival. Shifts are taxing and long with the vast majority of time spent on your feet. Sometimes felt like a bit of a spare part on shift too (think they pad the numbers for no-shows). Add another hour either side of your shift if you’re working on the other side of site. Definitely meant we had to pace ourselves better, miss out on some of the fun, and chose early nights rather than hitting the SE corner. We were absolutely spent by Sunday evening.

Walk to campsite could be seen as a con but I didn’t find it too bad at all. Can imagine it wouldn’t be much fun in bad weather though.

Can’t really party in the campsite as some people may be sleeping off night shift. Meant it was easier to get to sleep though.

All in all was a great way to do the festival though I probably will be trying in the main sale next year,  just to avoid the fear of having to miss any music and to let my hair down a bit more. It’s definitely a great back up option to have.