Jump to content
Ddiamondd

Flops 2019

Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

Can I make a case for a day being a flop:

Thursday 

The Wednesday buzz is great, but go and try and watch something with even a modicum of popularity on the Thursday and it's fairly useless. The heat obviously didn't help the enjoyment factor this year, but everything is just so ridiculously busy, and going everywhere takes an age as the place is absolutely heaving. 

 

Yeah, Thursday was weirdly rammed this year, especially in the evening /night, usually I get lucky and miss the crowds but not so this time! I think I went to the astrolabe to watch Blackskywhite in the end, which wasn't busy but was enjoyable

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Yokel Again said:

I'm not sure about a flop - but Glastonbury on Seas was underwhelming. Also, spotted they were selling squidgies in plastic bags in the shop there, which to me felt abit disappointing. Anyway, seemed a bit pointless, but I am probably in the minority.

Yes I felt Glastonbury-on-Sea had a lot of potential but there wasn't really enough to it.  I got the feeling it's work in progress, and maybe more will be added in the future.  I also felt they missed a trick with the Glastonbury-on-Sea merchandise.  Their tee-shirts were lame and I'd love to have been able to order deckchairs, posters etc.

I also felt Arcadia's Pangea was a major downgrade from what they had before.  I thought the crane was ugly and frankly a blot on the landscape.  It just looked like an ordinary crane from a building site, whereas they could easily (?) have dressed it up as a dinosaur or something.  Again I expect this will be improved in years to come.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

Can I make a case for a day being a flop:

Thursday 

The Wednesday buzz is great, but go and try and watch something with even a modicum of popularity on the Thursday and it's fairly useless. The heat obviously didn't help the enjoyment factor this year, but everything is just so ridiculously busy, and going everywhere takes an age as the place is absolutely heaving. 

 

Yeah I must say, as a first timer wondering why so many people insist on turning up an entire day earlier, not arriving until Thursday evening myself I couldn’t for the life of me understand why. With no bands to see it’s just a shitshow of everyone wandering around aimlessly so you can’t actually do anything that’s worth doing. 

But if the reason people go on Wednesday is because that doesn’t happen yet, then that makes sense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any person of note we wanted to see Weds/Thurs was a waste of time as it was rammed. Patrick Topping, Annie Mac at BBC stage, Beans on Toast. Appreciate not a lot can be done as the main stages arent open but i just dont think i'll bother trying to watch big names on those days again. 

Foals, i decided to head up the hill by the glasto sign for this so i could get away asap for LG. Sadly the wind wasnt kind and was taking the sound away from us so that didnt work. It did however years ago when i did it for Pulp and Radiohead up there before someone calls me daft!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a venue - Stonebridge Bar. Needs a serious rework, always looks so spacious inside but there is a massive swell outside. Would be much safer if they removed the fences and let it just be a tent, like e.g. the Beat Hotel, or... most places. The queueing system just does not work, it is a mad crowd outside, and people just ram in down the sides. SASS after Baggy Mondays was a total write off, as was Four Tet early doors (though he is a far bigger name now than when there was maybe 100 of us in that slot in 2015(?))

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thursday, they should think of opening up some of the mid sized stages - Avalon, Glade, Pussy Parlour etc and put more acts on to spread the crowds a bit, Thur is rammed now so needs more on, maybes have some good live comics in the Circus or something just to spread the crowd more. At this point near everyone is there on Thur so they need to just make it another day minus the five main stages.

Didn't dig Glastonbury on Sea, it looks canny but doesn't really serve a purpose, you just sort of walk through in five mins and that's it.

Similarly the theatre in the Woods looked good but wasn't greatly organised and was a bit of a mess to watch as they bounced about different areas. Think it'll be good once they've got it sussed though.

All the new things seem like a work in progress though so won't go too hard on them, they will get better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

crowd seemed to absolutely love it and it was huge but slowthai just came off as a bit cringey and dopey, but I understand I'm not gonna enjoy every rapper so wouldn't consider it a universal flop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went to Williams green to watch yak (who'd I'd never seen before but thourght sounded good) ... Or what I thourght was yak... Left after 2 songs as wasn't what I was expecting at all and it was poor..... Found out later from a mate who was also there they cocked the times around and that wasn't even yak.... Whoever they were they were pretty poor lol. 

 

Baby metal crowd wasn't huge but they genuinely really seemed to love being up there and the backing band had some brutal riffs and beats. Great set :)

 

Glad I missed Janet Jackson sounds like she phoned it in anyway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, H.M.V said:

Lol! She was really disappointing. You could tell she finally got it for the last two songs but too little too late. And turn up on fucking time. Jeez. 

I'd gone long before then. Was this the first time anybody has sent a dj on stage to cover for them?

And really p***ed off about missing Comet is Coming for this.

Edited by Losing my hair

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought about a new thread for this, but decided to stick it in here. Although not really my type of music, I was at Billie Eilish as my daughter loves her. She drew a big crowd, the atmosphere was good, and she was well received, without smashing it I would say. However at the time, I had the sneaky feeling she was lip syncing most of the way through. To be fair to her though, it’s nigh on impossible to tell from the crowd. Watched it through again last night from the BBC iPlayer, and still believe it was not a live performance I was hearing. 

In a similar vein, I wasn’t at Janet Jackson, but have read there are similar suspicions around that performance.

Old man rant alert..... fucking grinds my gears when artists think it’s acceptable to put across a recording at a live gig. We might as well have brought our iPods. 

Shes a young girl just starting out, and I believe she was bumped up from an earlier John Peel slot due to her popularity, so it was a risky slot for her... but IF she was lip syncing, I think she’s basically just taking the piss out of a largely young fan base.

All of that said, I could be wrong, and if I am guess I owe her an apology for arousing suspicion against an up and coming talent! 

Anyone else at it or seen it on TV? What do you think? Also.... is it OK these days and I’m just old fashioned?

Edited by Tranquility of Solitude

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The sound on the Gully Blues stage was being overpowered by the much smaller No Average Groove thing facing it. I didn't stay around the area later at night but can imagine it being worse once sonic got going.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Miley Cyrus for me. Was looking forward to hearing the some classics but it was all a promo for her new album. The hits she did sing she changed up so much it was hard to sing along to. 

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Superscally said:

Fair enough, though I don't know what those people wanted from the gig. I've been to double figure numbers of gigs and they were as tight here as I've seen them. They can personally never have the same magic as they have with Carlos D and the annoying downmixing of the bass that permeated Marauder seems to have transferred to some songs beyond those album, so I was very worried at the start of the gig, especially as twenty minutes before the gig, the crowd was very sparse. There was, from somewhere, to quote Monsieur Banks a Tidal Wave of people in to the point where it was a bit of a crush at the front. They played some tunes I haven't heard live for a while, probably catering to the fact that they knew as fourth biggest headliner that they'd be pulling more hardcore fans than the curious and that suits me fine, as it never veered to the infamous Springsteen levels of niche that people found disappointing in 2009. 8/10 I'd say.

I just hold artists at Glastonbury to a higher standard.

The songs were great and nicely performed, but other than that they phoned it in. They know that an audience at Glastonbury has sacrificed seeing a score of other great bands and artist, but still it seemed like they didn't care. Just perform the songs, pick up the cheque and go home. To me that's not good enough. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wasn't there this year but something struck me reading the comments in here & watching along on TV.

People are (understandably) not happy about acts miming, but no-one seems bothered that for example Lizzo was just singing & dancing to a backing track?

Don't get me wrong her performance and vocals were great but it was a definite turn-off for me - there was such genuine excitement in the crowd but I just didn't get that sense of "oneness" between crowd & act because the music was the same either way. It didn't really escalate anywhere.

That West Holts field looked absolutely rammed in the sunshine though it was beautiful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Thought about a new thread for this, but decided to stick it in here. Although not really my type of music, I was at Billie Eilish as my daughter loves her. She drew a big crowd, the atmosphere was good, and she was well received, without smashing it I would say. However at the time, I had the sneaky feeling she was lip syncing most of the way through. To be fair to her though, it’s nigh on impossible to tell from the crowd. Watched it through again last night from the BBC iPlayer, and still believe it was not a live performance I was hearing. 

In a similar vein, I wasn’t at Janet Jackson, but have read there are similar suspicions around that performance.

Old man rant alert..... fucking grinds my gears when artists think it’s acceptable to put across a recording at a live gig. We might as well have brought our iPods. 

Shes a young girl just starting out, and I believe she was bumped up from an earlier John Peel slot due to her popularity, so it was a risky slot for her... but IF she was lip syncing, I think she’s basically just taking the piss out of a largely young fan base.

All of that said, I could be wrong, and if I am guess I owe her an apology for arousing suspicion against an up and coming talent! 

Anyone else at it or seen it on TV? What do you think? Also.... is it OK these days and I’m just old fashioned?

I watched a bit of Billie Eilish on iplayer last night and it looked totally lit synced to me. She’s got good stage presence though & the crowd loved it.

Is it OK? Is it satirical? - I don’t know either!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Room to sway said:

I wasn't there this year but something struck me reading the comments in here & watching along on TV.

People are (understandably) not happy about acts miming, but no-one seems bothered that for example Lizzo was just singing & dancing to a backing track?

Don't get me wrong her performance and vocals were great but it was a definite turn-off for me - there was such genuine excitement in the crowd but I just didn't get that sense of "oneness" between crowd & act because the music was the same either way. It didn't really escalate anywhere.

That West Holts field looked absolutely rammed in the sunshine though it was beautiful.

Not bothered. Its hip-hop innit.  That said at this point in Lizzo's career that's maybe as much an economic decision as an artistic one. When she headlines in 2022 I'm pretty sure it'll be with a big band. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me too it was Lauren Hill.

The smooth RnB grooves between acts before her set were perfect for a summer afternoon and put us in a great mood for her set.

Her ‘Hype woman’ tore me between loving the banging tunes she played and thinking Lauren Hill was taking the piss.

When she exhorted us to ‘make some noise’ my husband said ‘I’ll make some noise when Lauren Hill hauls her lazy arse out here!’

When Lauren Hill herself arrived we lasted 2 tunes - the sound was all over the place and it was just a racket (maybe in this sense you could defend her annoyance with the sound - but if it happens every time - hire some new people!)

We decided to head over to West Holts early for Jorja Smith and caught the whole of Maribou State who were excellent and drew a massive, lively, appreciative crowd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Superscally said:

Literally staggered by the Interpol comments. Atmosphere was tense as you'd like it, tent was packed and they rattled through so many big tunes. They've got a huge catalogue and had a reduced time slot for a headliner, so there were always going to be casualties. For the lack of interaction comments - they never give it the chat, it's not their style. I can only presume you've never or rarely seen them before. 

Hang on.... did you get in? I thought you were still ticketless?

43 minutes ago, Bixer said:

Yeah I must say, as a first timer wondering why so many people insist on turning up an entire day earlier, not arriving until Thursday evening myself I couldn’t for the life of me understand why. With no bands to see it’s just a shitshow of everyone wandering around aimlessly so you can’t actually do anything that’s worth doing. 

But if the reason people go on Wednesday is because that doesn’t happen yet, then that makes sense. 

I love the Thursday, aimless wandering about is what it's all about. Sit on the hill, go to The Woods, find my bin, watch stuff in T&C, it's all good. It's true anything of note gets rammed but with a bit of planning you can usually get there ok, the only exception for me this year being Frank Turner, knew it would be rammed but even getting there an hour early was too late to get in.

Back on topic, there were a few things I saw that I didn't really enjoy but that didn't mean they were poor, just not for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Not bothered. Its hip-hop innit.  That said at this point in Lizzo's career that's maybe as much an economic decision as an artistic one. When she headlines in 2022 I'm pretty sure it'll be with a big band. 

Obviously they missed her playing the flute. She's a classically trained musician. Can't wait to see her headline pyramid. That will be glorious! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Completely agree with the comments about Thursday. We got to Frank Turner's strummerville set but there were thousands stuck outside trying to force their way past 4 poor security guards and were jumping over the fences etc. Really not safe - a problem that could've been solved if that secret set was say 3pm Friday. I think having some average acts all at say 9pm on Park, JP and WH would solve a few problems.

Idles were slightly disappointing. Sounded fine but the atmosphere wasnt as mental as I thought it would be. Maybe the Park wasnt the right setting for them? The front mans emotional / political ramblings inbetween every single song also didn't help as it kind of killed all of their momentum.

Gerry Cinnamon was disapponting not because of his performance but because he was completely misplaced on the bill. He sould've been a few spaces higher on JP or an early Other Stage set. I fully expect him to be back with a better slot next year. 

Also Christine and the Queens looked and sounded very very good but there was zero atmosphere. 

 

Edited by DL50

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SighMo said:

The David Attenborough thing for me. 90,000 people stood in the baking sun for a ten minute intro and a promo vid for the next series. Not dissing the message btw; just expected at least half an hour like JC did. He’s definitely capable of giving us something to go away with. 

We put up with 20 mins of the truely awful years and years for DA. It was pretty pointless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

In a similar vein, I wasn’t at Janet Jackson, but have read there are similar suspicions around that performance.

There is no doubt at all about that. 

 

56 minutes ago, chatty said:

Thursday, they should think of opening up some of the mid sized stages - Avalon, Glade, Pussy Parlour etc and put more acts on to spread the crowds a bit, Thur is rammed now so needs more on, maybes have some good live comics in the Circus or something just to spread the crowd more. At this point near everyone is there on Thur so they need to just make it another day minus the five main stages.

I'm pretty sure they've thought of doing that for at least a decade. It's licensing, isn't it. Sure it's all well covered in the minutes.

Another flop I just remembered: Acid Mother's Temple. Crowd was a bit sparse, sound was a bit lost in the open air and sun. Still majestic of course but by far the worst show I've seen them do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...