Ddiamondd

Flops 2019

2 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I had heard it, but it was mimed which put me off getting involved in it.

Other than part I thought she was really good. I was in the pit, great atmosphere in there too.

Rapping was live no? Billy Ray was miming for sure.

28 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Does that include all of her band?

Probably.

Shame for you all I'm sure, but everyone around me and my brother had an absolutely wonderful time. It's up there with Bjork's headline set in 2007 on my list of spiritual experiences at Worthy Farm.

Edited by Magma

On 7/1/2019 at 11:57 PM, SighMo said:

The David Attenborough thing for me. 90,000 people stood in the baking sun for a ten minute intro and a promo vid for the next series. Not dissing the message btw; just expected at least half an hour like JC did. He’s definitely capable of giving us something to go away with. 

Was JC there again? I saw him in 2017, but he only did max 15 mins before Run the Jewels.

There was a great lack of self-awareness in his message in '17. "There's a message on the wall surrounding Glastonbury for Donald Trump; 'build bridges, not walls'". D'oh.

12 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Haven't watched it back but distinctly remember few of our lot commented on it being mimed at the time.

8 minutes ago, Magma said:

Probably.

Shame for you all I'm sure, but everyone around me and my brother had an absolutely wonderful time. It's up there with Bjork's headline set in 2007 on my list of spiritual experiences at Worthy Farm.

She looked like she'd rather be anywhere else, and I don't mean that in a can't be arsed way but rather in a panicky/ agoraphobic sort of way. I'm wary of any sort of armchair psychoanalysis, but spiritual isn't the word that I'd use.

24 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Definitely not. At one point the mic was at his side and he was rapping. 

7 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

She looked like she'd rather be anywhere else, and I don't mean that in a can't be arsed way but rather in a panicky/ agoraphobic sort of way. I'm wary of any sort of armchair psychoanalysis, but spiritual isn't the word that I'd use.

A spiritual experience is a very personal thing, so I'm not surprised if other people didn't quite connect to it... just saying that everyone around me was absolutely lost in the gospel vibes. It was truly special.

It probably helped that I knew what to expect from Lauryn Hill... she IS panicky, self-conscious and maybe agoraphobic isn't the most appropriate word, but playing live isn't something she has ever particularly relished... it's a knife-edge she balances on due to the sheer weight of her talent for performing.

Watch/listen to her MTV Unplugged if you never have.... she forgets words, her voice cracks all over the place... and about 5 of the tracks are some of the best things she ever recorded.

It was Lauryn Hill that got booked, not Rita Ora. She was never going to perform a note-perfect karaoke of her major hits... and maybe West Holts would've been a better booking for her, but for me, her and her band, after the first couple of numbers absolutely nailed it... and like I said, it created a turning point inside me which I can still feel as I sit back in the office.

6 minutes ago, The Spandex Warrior said:

Late on stage and a phoned in performance? Nah, I respectfully disagree - she was shite IMO.

Oh well. It's in my top 5 daytime sets of my entire Glastonbury history - I think I'm glad I was in the minority for this one. You're all making me feel very lucky indeed.

19 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Yeah- he even mentioned it out loud- that what they do isn’t normally a festival thing, and I think people then appreciated the effort.

13 hours ago, BlackZeppelin said:

At the end he looked genuinely moved and didn't want to leave..  very UnGoth.

I think a lot of us were concerned about how the gig was going to go.  Everyone I know who has seen them live has reported it was a dull performance by a band that just phone it in.

It was clear quite early on that bob and the lads were aware of such criticisms and were keen to make this a gig worthy of the status of a Pyramid headline slot with all that that means today (unlike 1990 when it didn't hold the reputation it does today).  Cheeky, cheery Robert Smith joking with the crowd, running up and down the extended stage later in the gig and generally coming across as a lovely bloke throughout.  Helped that the sound at that gig was the best I heard all weekend if not the best I've ever heard at the farm.

• Upvote 1

Me and my friend were in the front section and enjoyed Lauryn Hill. Admittedly, we expected her to be late and to be getting mad about the sound. Was it professional? No. Was it technically good? No. Did we enjoy it? Hell yeah.

(Very similar to my feelings about Kanye; everything about it points to it being a disaster but I still enjoyed it and totally get why people hated it)

Edited by aidenlangan95
  • Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Magma said:

Oh well. It's in my top 5 daytime sets of my entire Glastonbury history - I think I'm glad I was in the minority for this one. You're all making me feel very lucky indeed.

Absolutely - each to their own! Glad you enjoyed it :) 

A few people have already mentioned...

Tame Impala - enjoyed them last time they played Glastonbury, but here it was a bit unengaging and didn't really feel live. You could have easily been listening to the album and watching a light show. Too busy for the Other Stage too, I left after a bit for Interpol and wished I'd done their whole set instead.

Janet Jackson - I like the overall sound but it never really took off. Also suffered from missing off her best known song. Should have probably gone for Johnny Marr but watched out of curiosity.

Miley - Full of pointless pub covers. Surely she has enough material? She sounded good when doing her own stuff but it left a very uneven set.

Attenborough - Could have been a nice rallying-cry for environmentalism but was just a BBC plug. A real missed opportunity.

Probably not going to be popular but I decided to take a chance on the Chemical Brothers and wish I hadn't. I don't mind dance music and like their music but as a live experience I personally don't think it's up to much. I much prefer seeing acts properly performing live. It felt a bit like they could press play on a sound system and play on the visuals and then leave the stage. I prefer some kind of interaction and being able to see and hear in the voices of those playing how they feel about it. It's all a little too slick and polished for me. 

1 hour ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Was JC there again? I saw him in 2017, but he only did max 15 mins before Run the Jewels.

There was a great lack of self-awareness in his message in '17. "There's a message on the wall surrounding Glastonbury for Donald Trump; 'build bridges, not walls'". D'oh.

No he wasn’t. Apologies for any confusion; I saw him in 2017 but in the Left Field tent straight after he came from the Pyramid. Felt like he went on for at least half an hour but may not have been. Maybe it was a poor example for me to use; was just expecting more than a few lines and a promo vid. 

32 minutes ago, kidpresentable said:

Janet Jackson - I like the overall sound but it never really took off. Also suffered from missing off her best known song. 

Lean to agreeing on the performance, but out of interest what was the song you were missing? I assumed everyone was waiting for Rhythm Nation or What Have You Done For Me Lately, but she played both of those... 

On 7/2/2019 at 9:36 AM, jparx said:

Just scrolled through all the comments and stunned at so many Tame Impala mentions. Not sure we were at the same show?

The crowd was immense, the visuals and sound were top notch and the setlist had bangers (Less I know, Let it Happen, Elephant, Eventually, Going Backwards) mixed with dreamy beautifulness. Thought it was absolutely stunning.

Can only think it's a case of being stood towards the back and not being too game for them or just disliking the type of music altogether?

I can't believe it either. For me by far the best show and that says a lot for me since I never expected that beforehand and were even so much better thab absolutely amazing shows by Killers and Foals which at most festivals I'd go to would have been the best. Elephant was just insane. 

I thought Years & Years were horrific. We just watched it because we hardly saw anything yet on the pyramid but the beats of his songs were so ugly. Just kept watching so I could appreciate all the good stuff I saw even more. 

3 hours ago, The Nal said:

For some bizarro reason, people don't walk around to the left hand side of the Park stage towards Lands End bar. I got there 15 minutes before Idles came on and got a great spot. Room around me too.

Experienced this too. There was so much space to the left of the stage! Could have put your tent there, so much room was left. Great spot, and when the bangers Inhaler, What Went Down and Two Steps, Twice began I was in the mosh within seconds. I think its because the pathway to it gets so busy people stop trying.

42 minutes ago, Magma said:

Lean to agreeing on the performance, but out of interest what was the song you were missing? I assumed everyone was waiting for Rhythm Nation or What Have You Done For Me Lately, but she played both of those... 

I was thinking 'Together Again' was her biggest hit. That might be down to my age though. Certainly one of her last big hits.

4 minutes ago, kidpresentable said:

I was thinking 'Together Again' was her biggest hit. That might be down to my age though. Certainly one of her last big hits.

Together Again, Doesn't Really Matter & What's It Gonna Be?  would definitely have given the set a bit of a boost as those are all well known in the UK.  You could feel the vibe list when she played the snippet of the (dreadful) The Best Things In Life Are Free and All For You as they were more recognisable to the casuals. 

6 minutes ago, kidpresentable said:

I guess that's the thing with someone like Janet...everyone remembers the bit from when they were paying attention to the charts. My knowledge of her catalog gets pretty hazy after the early 90s. Although I DO remember her releasing was Doesn't Really Matter off the Nutty Professor 2 soundtrack ? which I had a bit of a soft-spot for and some pretty awesome You're So Vain sampling thing with Missy around that era too, but I wasn't expecting those to get a look-in.

Only real disappointment for me was the shout out to her brothers only resulting in a minor remix of Rhythm Nation to include the Scream backing... wish she'd done the whole thing! (or a few bars of ABC for the culture)??

Janet flopping is probably only a surprise to the Eavii and herself.

Interpol were dull as dishwater in 2014 so the mixed reviews on them aren’t much of a surprise. They’re just about as far removed as it’s possible to get from that ‘festival thing’ of being a band you can just stumble across and enjoy an hour of without knowing anything about them, though, so a tented headline slot was probably a better slot for them than playing an open air stage in the early evening.

Years and Years looked lame on TV - hopefully that’s the end of them as a big stage festival act, LGBT representation notwithstanding.

Miley didn’t come across brilliantly on TV - the Amy Winehouse bit was awkward, her voice didn’t seem up to much, and a less cheerful crowd would’ve got pissed off with her ‘roughing up’ Party In The USA etc. Also bringing out her Dad but not singing Achy Breaky Heart was a huge anticlimax. Crowd looked like they had a ball though which is obviously the main thing.

3 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Janet flopping is probably only a surprise to the Eavii and herself.

Interpol were dull as dishwater in 2014 so the mixed reviews on them aren’t much of a surprise. They’re just about as far removed as it’s possible to get from that ‘festival thing’ of being a band you can just stumble across and enjoy an hour of without knowing anything about them, though, so a tented headline slot was probably a better slot for them than playing an open air stage in the early evening.

Years and Years looked lame on TV - hopefully that’s the end of them as a big stage festival act, LGBT representation notwithstanding.

Miley didn’t come across brilliantly on TV - the Amy Winehouse bit was awkward, her voice didn’t seem up to much, and a less cheerful crowd would’ve got pissed off with her ‘roughing up’ Party In The USA etc. Also bringing out her Dad but not singing Achy Breaky Heart was a huge anticlimax. Crowd looked like they had a ball though which is obviously the main thing.

Funnily, I'm no Miley fan and my eldest brother could be expected to have even less truck for something like that, but he was on a litter picking shift in the Pyramid field and said he actually stopped what he was doing to listen to her after a while... he reckoned Black Dog and Nothing Else Matters were great. I gave him a look. He said "I know, maybe I'm just THAT tired".