How many times did you see Fontaines DC?

mattiloy

10 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Why not choose one of their songs that isn’t 50% “loif ain’ ahlways empty”?

I’ve edited them so “loif ain” always empty” is a single line refrain between verses. The verses are a collection of rhyming couplets. 
im getting the kids to identify and label those features, interpret meaning and the. Imitate the style. 

2 hours ago, blutarsky said:

I’ve edited them so “loif ain” always empty” is a single line refrain between verses. The verses are a collection of rhyming couplets. 
im getting the kids to identify and label those features, interpret meaning and the. Imitate the style. 

That’s a top idea.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Their dads will be impressed though.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Put down your fidget spinners and listen to Dogrel dammit!

54 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

Poor parenting. Bŕing it up at parents evening 

“Who would actually listen to this sir?”

”I saw them at the JPT.” 

“I actually feel sorry for you.” 

hehehe. I feel your pain. Very early in what might laughably and inaccurately be described as 'my teaching career', someone gave me some advice to never use songs or other primary sources that you truly love in the classroom, cos you'll only be disappointed that the students don't feel as passionate about the song as you do. Every time I've deviated from that, I've found it to be true.

40 minutes ago, Mardy said:

hehehe. I feel your pain. Very early in what might laughably and inaccurately be described as 'my teaching career', someone gave me some advice to never use songs or other primary sources that you truly love in the classroom, cos you'll only be disappointed that the students don't feel as passionate about the song as you do. Every time I've deviated from that, I've found it to be true.

On the whole I would agree. However I did have a few great Year 11 groups that wanted to hear my latest recommendation. They knew I spent hours at live gigs/ festivals and living in Pilton gave me some street cred. Most wanted me to adopt them so I could get them free tickets to GF. They enjoyed listening to the bands I had suggested to them and discussing the good/bad the following week. Apparently I was “cool” for that. A tough title to earn as I was a maths teacher.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, blutarsky said:

I delivered this lesson today. It went reasonably well, apart from the fact it turns out 11/12-year-olds don't seem to like Fontaines D.C., generally speaking. 

Oddly enough, my 6 year old bloody loves them! To the point where she now thinks she’s introducing me to them by playing various tracks for me. I haven’t the heart to tell her that the songs she picks from Apple Music for her playlists are actually the ones in my collection! 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, blutarsky said:

I delivered this lesson today. It went reasonably well, apart from the fact it turns out 11/12-year-olds don't seem to like Fontaines D.C., generally speaking. 

Good effort. You never know one or two of the kids at the back too shy to speak up maybe go home and give it a second spin. In any case, hats off for doing your bit to spread the gospel!

11 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Good effort. You never know one or two of the kids at the back too shy to speak up maybe go home and give it a second spin. In any case, hats off for doing your bit to spread the gospel!

And do you know who one of those kids was?

Marti Pellow

• Upvote 3

• 8 months later...

Off to see them in Prague and Berlin on consecutive nights in a few weeks. Booked in some coroncoaster madness a few months ago.

Incidentally, the first class train the morning after Prague gig is 25 quid. 400k trans border Journey.

That wouldn't even cover the taxi to my house from Chester having missed the last train (again).

Gigs on the mainland FTW

Edited by Jay Pee
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Jay Pee said:

Off to see them in Prague and Berlin on consecutive nights in a few weeks. Booked in some coroncoaster madness a few months ago.

Incidentally, the first class train the morning after Prague gig is 25 quid. 400k trans border Journey.

That wouldn't even cover the taxi to my house from Chester having missed the last train (again).

Gigs on the mainland FTW

Isnt...the Prague gig postponed? 😬😬😬

7 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Isnt...the Prague gig postponed? 😬😬😬

I have tickets for that gig and it's at the end of March, somehow in Google it says postponed but as the tour itself it is planned for that month... Hopefully (didn't receive any message and the date is on their website) 😁

Edited by AlexOvd
  • Thanks 1

Yep, all very confusing with some sources showing postponed but their website and the venue showing going ahead.. possibly related to when Czech Republic had large Rona spike a few months ago and only Czech nationals could fly in.

If it is postponed, may just have one or two snifters around the Old Town. Be rude not to

6 hours ago, Jay Pee said:

Yep, all very confusing with some sources showing postponed but their website and the venue showing going ahead.. possibly related to when Czech Republic had large Rona spike a few months ago and only Czech nationals could fly in.

If it is postponed, may just have one or two snifters around the Old Town. Be rude not to

Take me with you