Pet Shop Boys 2020?

Hugh Jass

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

If this is the full picture then a bit surprised they only did 14 songs last night.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pet-shop-boys/2019/hyde-park-london-england-139cf5f9.html

What did they play? Just over the hour, maybe 70 mins. Delighted they included ‘left to my own devices’, it’s such a belter of a song

Right, so basically going to Hyde Park was quite a last minute thing. I'd come down to London for the weekend (to see Spiritualized, another amazing gig) and thought I'd try doing something with my dad as I don't see him very often anymore. I saw that PSB were playing so I asked if he wanted to go; before yesterday I could only name one of their songs and I wasn't even sure how it goes. But I thought my dad likes them and it could be a nice day out, so I might as well.

Being a Radio 2 fest, the audience did lean a bit toward the older generations but there was still a good mix of ages. It seemed like everyone was in a great mood, strangers were joking around with eachother, sharing food and drinks etc. Was a bright sunny day with a nice festival atmosphere, not something I expected in September.

When PSB started playing, I was surprised at how many songs of theirs I actually recognises. So many people around me were singing and dancing, everyone's faces lit up with joy. The younger folk that I didn't think would be too familiar with PSB looked like they were having a good time, and I even saw some woman that must have been in her 70s or 80s, dancing along for the majority of the set.

So yeah, that's exactly the kind of act we need for the legends slot. When you can win non-fans over within the first few songs, you must be doing something right.

IMG_20190915_210429.jpg

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Right, so basically going to Hyde Park was quite a last minute thing. I'd come down to London for the weekend (to see Spiritualized, another amazing gig) and thought I'd try doing something with my dad as I don't see him very often anymore. I saw that PSB were playing so I asked if he wanted to go; before yesterday I could only name one of their songs and I wasn't even sure how it goes. But I thought my dad likes them and it could be a nice day out, so I might as well.

Being a Radio 2 fest, the audience did lean a bit toward the older generations but there was still a good mix of ages. It seemed like everyone was in a great mood, strangers were joking around with eachother, sharing food and drinks etc. Was a bright sunny day with a nice festival atmosphere, not something I expected in September.

When PSB started playing, I was surprised at how many songs of theirs I actually recognises. So many people around me were singing and dancing, everyone's faces lit up with joy. The younger folk that I didn't think would be too familiar with PSB looked like they were having a good time, and I even saw some woman that must have been in her 70s or 80s, dancing along for the majority of the set.

So yeah, that's exactly the kind of act we need for the legends slot. When you can win non-fans over within the first few songs, you must be doing something right.

IMG_20190915_210429.jpg

nice little review :) cheers 

17 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

IMG_20190915_210429.jpg

Looks like you weren’t far from us!

F663719D-DAA0-4134-B1D9-BFD212D62171.jpeg

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

Listening to these lads on the bus. Pop Art best of. God damn but they've got the tunes.

Must take care not to get too excited this side or T-Day.

Hehe, i put PopArt on the other day, it’s the absolute business, isn’t it? Been thinking about it today, along with Prince, they’re the artists i’ve loved longest. I bought ‘Please’, when it first came out, so they’ve been part of my life for nigh on 35 years. But yeah, I need to rein in the excitement till after T-Day.

Talking of pet shops (which, I'll readily admit, we weren't, then I propose this);

A woman walks by a shop and sees a sign that says " Fanny Licking frogs" She is intrigued by the sign and goes in to get one. She goes to the counter and asks if they have any Fanny licking frogs. The shop owner looks at her and says. "Bonjor?"

I would run for cover, but find myself unable to do so right now. 

Apologies for wasting your time.

Image result for time + quotes

14 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Reckon our boy Brandon Flowers will return the favour and join them? 

He's not my boy and I do hope not.

46 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Hehe, i put PopArt on the other day, it’s the absolute business, isn’t it? Been thinking about it today, along with Prince, they’re the artists i’ve loved longest. I bought ‘Please’, when it first came out, so they’ve been part of my life for nigh on 35 years. But yeah, I need to rein in the excitement till after T-Day.

It's the absolute business. They've got all those big hitters of course but then there all the others you forget too. Domino Dancing is far from my favourite but it's glorious.

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Greatest hits tour already announced ... probably no relation to Glastonbury .... but its Psb news for the fans on here  :) ... just seen it on headliners thread ..... there is no chance of them playing below headliner is there ?

13cb6a30-29fb-408e-97eb-4e429e8d0ef0.jpeg

It is probably just a session for competition winners on BBC

11 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

possibly ... who knows ? :) its intriguing anyway and Laurene Laverne was involved with the Glastonbury 50 book ... so there is a tie in there 

I really hope you are right, grew up listening to them and would love to see them as haven't for a good few years now! I would love a good afternoon pyramid dance to them but realise they have said would only play in dark so Other Headliners maybe but I do secretly love a Pyramid headliner for the spectacle so would have to be someone awful, like Metallica, to see it!

1 minute ago, Chrisp1986 said:

I really hope you are right, grew up listening to them and would love to see them as haven't for a good few years now! I would love a good afternoon pyramid dance to them but realise they have said would only play in dark so Other Headliners maybe but I do secretly love a Pyramid headliner for the spectacle so would have to be someone awful, like Metallica, to see it!

I got my best friend a signed Pet shop boys photo for his stag night initially they said no but persistence got a personalised one :)  ... hes a complete psb anorak ... so I cant avoid them if I tried ... hes upset that I never managed to get any info from here that they were playing with the killers last festival so off we went to see the Chems ... Ive never heard the end of it :) .... 

Though I have a reputation for hating people who make music "just by pushing buttons", PSB are an act I'll make an exception for.

Their first three albums (at least) are just impeccable collections of perfectly crafted pop tunes imo. Who cares how they're put together when they're that spot on? State of the art for their time.

I couldn't decide between them on Other or Muse on the main in 2010 (had to look up the year there) and flitted between the two.

I really must get my FOMO under control for next year. Just make a decision and not worry about what I may be missing.

A mate of mine watching on telly unexpectedly texted me on The Saturday this year with, "I bet you're pleased with that aintcha?".

Me: "What?".

Mate: "PSB guest slot at The Killers. I know you like them. Don't tell me you're not there?".

Me: "I'm at Hawkwind!".

Mate: (Continues to give me a run down of what has happened and is happening on the telly and "Why TF are you at Hawkwind?"

I may be burbling. As you were.