Biggest Surprises

ICGenie

So many!

Really enjoyed the John Digweed set in the Glade on Thursday night; danced all the way through

Was blown away by Amyl and the Sniffers, whom I was only vaguely aware of before 

I was looking forward to Sharon Van Etten, but she was even better than I was expecting.

Most of all though I can't get over just how unbelievably good The Cure were though. Incredible.

Finally stumbling upon the Gospel House Sound System in Pussy Parlure was a real treat on Mon morning. 

18 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Just passing by The Glade, saw Grouch In Dub, highly impressive, never heard of them before.

Anyone able to provide more info on them? Thanks

Seconding this, was on the way to Leftfield and they sounded crazy and great. 

Also seconding the Loyle Carner shouts, that seemed like the perfect mood for Sunday from the bits I heard in passing, and I’ve never been bowled over by his tracks on the radio.

16 hours ago, Spindles said:

The size of the crowd that turned up for Jungle and their enthusiasm, great atmosphere where I was.  I never hear anyone mention Jungle, never hear any buzz about them but that's the second time I've gone to see them at the farm and had the best feel good hour of my week, so great to see so many people love them like I do.

Wishing I’d seen them. I find them pretty unmemorable on record but live they’re immense!

Miley biggest overall surprise, especially when she brought Lil Nas X out. She was fantastic.

As far as random discoveries go, Swimming Girls in the Rabbit Hole and No Party For Cao Dong at Pussy Parlure on the Thursday were both awesome.

Didn't expect to enjoy the dance music areas so much this year, but spent a lot of my nights at Silver Hayes and Pangea.

Also a bit surprised that I didn't regret any of my clashes, thought that there would be at least one I'd be disappointed to have gone to but everyone was great.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Just passing by The Glade, saw Grouch In Dub, highly impressive, never heard of them before.

Anyone able to provide more info on them? Thanks

1 hour ago, theevilfridge said:

Seconding this, was on the way to Leftfield and they sounded crazy and great. 

Also seconding the Loyle Carner shouts, that seemed like the perfect mood for Sunday from the bits I heard in passing, and I’ve never been bowled over by his tracks on the radio.

6 minutes ago, eastynh said:

With a woman singing as well. They were on after Don Letts. They were ace.

1 hour ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Is it who I mentioned, Grouch in Dub, fronted by 3 guys, violin, clarinet, saxophone? 

Yes, it's him. He's been a stalwart of the psy scene for about a decade now. Does a variety of subgenres, lot of releases on dark prog labels like Zenon.

The "In Dub" project is pretty new but comes from a strong Glasto tradition of bass music and dubby psychill (c.f. Ott's old school tracks like Spannered in Pilton and Somersettler and Hallucinogen in Dub).

Have only seen him as Grouch previously but have been playing the In Dub album since the release and was pleasantly surprised and how tight the live show was.

44 minutes ago, waterfalls21234 said:

The loos esp the longdrops.... I didn't come across a totally manky one the entire 5 days... They seemed to be cleaning them more often... Anyone else notice this? 

Yes but...

Edited by dulcificum

Mahalia totally surprised me, first act we saw on a big stage as well! After being worried about Wu Tang potentially being a little lethargic but thought the show was great fun. Was also unsure about ending the festival on Rex Orange County, love his music but didn’t need know if it would fall flat, but he absolutely nailed an emotional sing along, perfect finish for me!