Biggest Surprises

ICGenie

Easily Christine & The Queens. Not sure that many people on here saw her, but it was bloody amazing. I had only heard a handful of her songs and I was captivated the whole way through. 

Shoutout to Miley, didn't expect much but enjoyed it more than I ever thought I would. Though first half of set was obviously a bit weaker.

• Upvote 1

The size of the crowd that turned up for Jungle and their enthusiasm, great atmosphere where I was.  I never hear anyone mention Jungle, never hear any buzz about them but that's the second time I've gone to see them at the farm and had the best feel good hour of my week, so great to see so many people love them like I do.

Oh, how fucking fun were Bjorn Again. I thought it was gonna be some feel good Abba opening pyramid in the sun. They were so much more and were totally loving it. So glad we went to see them. Been a pretty stellar weekend for good choices. Stormzy being another. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, ICGenie said:

Who did you happen to see that you perhaps did plan that blew your sock off?

For me it was Years And Years.  Didn’t know anything about them, recognised a couple of tunes towards the end.  But I thought they were fantastic.  Great pop performance, polished but still human and Olly’s speech was so heartfelt.  I was transfixed.  Not sure I’d listen to their music at home but I’d definitely consider buying a ticket to see them live.

I must have watched a different act. Probably the 2nd worst act I have ever seen after Ellie Golding. Saw 25 mins or so waiting for Attenborough / Kylie / Miley and was bored stiff. Awful voice. The last tune saved it from being an all time stinker, cos that one was decent. The speech was heartfelt & clearly not rehearsed which I admired, but Idles & Janelle did similar - better too.

My biggest surprise was Janelle. She was incredible. Loved her. Blew everyone out of the water. Prince meets Beyonce meets Gaga. Legendary performance.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

13 hours ago, H.M.V said:

Oh, how fucking fun were Bjorn Again. I thought it was gonna be some feel good Abba opening pyramid in the sun. They were so much more and were totally loving it. So glad we went to see them. Been a pretty stellar weekend for good choices. Stormzy being another. 

Perfect set to open the Pyramid. Good old sing along. Bit cheesy in places but 100% good fun.  Add in Van Halen to the set list and you've got a winner. 

Was looking forward to Algiers, but definitely didn't expect them to be the best thing I saw all festival (and I saw some other great stuff).

Whilst doing a bag change over at Gate C and getting some shade we heard a lot of Captain Hotknives and it was brilliant fun.

1 hour ago, tumbles said:

Perfect set to open the Pyramid. Good old sing along. Bit cheesy in places but 100% good fun.  Add in Van Halen to the set list and you've got a winner. 

Ah the Van Halen song and the rap moment in Take a chance on me were both excellent and so much fun :) 

Three for me

Never thought I wouls go to see Stormzy but I did and he killed it.

Yola - Avalon

Cure, never there biggest fan but their sound like really drew me in - Amazing 

Just now, adequate8 said:

Let’s Eat Grandma was phenomenal - I love the latest album but they’re even better live

Two Many T’s were a bunch of fun too - hadn’t heard a peep before I saw them 

Love Two many T's. Go and see them every year. So much fun and energy. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Biggest surprise was seeing a woman play the recorder with her vagina in the Caberet Tent. 

Music wise was BCUC on West Holts. Had no clue who they were, just happened upon them, excellent stuff.

Haha - I saw her too in the Mavericks tent on Sunday/early hours of Monday - her act was a very straight-laced 'doctor,' and then....!

18 hours ago, Johnkhutch said:

Haelos were absolutely superb on William's Green on the Friday. Went in knowing nothing about them but they blew me away.

Great show that, they sounded fantastic. Saw them a few months ago when they were about to drop the new album and they have gotten significantly tighter as a live act since then. 

....Had zero intention of seeing the Love Unlimited Synth Orchestra but surprised how much I enjoyed it/how many Barry bangers there are (not to mention all the special guests). I'd basically taken refuge in a tiny patch of shade over near the BBC compound so although I couldn't quite see it sounded great and helped me to rally around after I nearly went under watching Mattiel.  

22 minutes ago, ghandi said:

Sound was amongst the best I have ever heard at the Pyramid, that bass guitar sounded phenomenal throughout, the rest of the band and Bob's vocals mixed in perfectly whilst every pluck of the bass was clear as day.  Top stuff.

Jeff Goldum & The Mildred Snitzer Orchestra. I thought I would like them and was really glad to see Jeff. But I didn't realise just how good they would be! Awesome jazz on a sunny Sunday afternoon. It was perfect!

Remember seeing Bjorn Again at Reading 95 and was pleased to see it was the same band this time too! Also very pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed The Love Unlimited Synth Orchestra, Stormzy, The Killers, Kylie, Miley and many others I am forgetting right now!

Snapped Ankles at Strummerville. How can you not like an Ewok in a boiler suit, with a guitar, who hits a synth made from a tree with a drumstick? ?‍♂️

Fantastic Negrito at Leftfield were amazing.

Reef. Now I used to hate them, they just remined me of TFI Friday. A girl I was with wanted to see them and I reluctantly agreed as her company made it worth while. They ended up being great. I used to think the lead singer was really annoying but he definitely won me over.

There was an act on the Glade on Sunday afternoon who were amazing. I am trying to find out who it was.

Edited by eastynh

11 minutes ago, Spindles said:

Sound was amongst the best I have ever heard at the Pyramid, that bass guitar sounded phenomenal throughout, the rest of the band and Bob's vocals mixed in perfectly whilst every pluck of the bass was clear as day.  Top stuff.

38 minutes ago, ghandi said:

Completely agree - perhaps not a surprise to many, but certainly for me as I'd only really call myself a 'greatest hits' fan. I watched the second half of the set and wished I'd seen it all, even though I didn't recognise all of the songs from the first - it sounded so great it didn't matter. The sound was so crisp and it was actually quite nice (and a bit moving in a way) that the staging was all just really simply done too. Watched it all yesterday and in particular Pictures of You, just as the sun disappears, sounds beautiful. Smith's voice was great too. Been thinking about it all day.