Emotional moments

Crazyfool01

I'm not usually an emotional person or I don't know how to regulate my emotions but festivals and especially Glastonbury really gets to me.

I had lots of moments but here are some that stand out.

On the Wednesday after seemingly waiting ages for the fire and fireworks I had a lump in my throat when the huge bird like structure fell into the fire. It really felt like the start of the festival.

On Thursday there was a few moments, getting out of my tent for the first time and looking out over the site, around the healing/craft fields, stone circle for extinction rebellion, but the moment which has already been mentioned was Beans on toast doing Jamie and Lily. We walked right around from the bar on the left to the right, almost behind the stage to try and get a half decent spot to hear it. We couldn't see anything but hearing and seeing the crowds reaction when Jamie came just got to me. Thankfully managed to see the last couple of songs and get a front row spot for will Varley who was excellent.

Friday I saw Frank Turner while my dad and wife went to see Stormzy, got a good spot to the right of the stage. At the start of the gig there was a woman who seemed to be drunkenly chatting to strangers who seemed to not appreciate her talking however another woman passed me and stood next to the other woman. The other chatty woman said something in her ear with a smile and then gave her a big hug. The not so chatty woman then broke down in years but clearly happy years. A bloke next to me then allowed crying woman to stand in front of him at the barriers, more tears ensued. That got me emotional and added to the already incredible atmosphere. I found out after the gig the chatty woman was randomly saying kind things to people.

I had a few other moments which ended with Fontaines DC at rabbit hole. After the excellent gig I came over all euphoric and must of looked like I was on a severe trip as I grinned and giggled all the way back to the tent. Just as I got close to my tent there was a wasted bloke sat on the pathway. I spoke to him to see if he was ok and although he responded a bit I went to get help. I was so happy to see the campsite crew coming down to check on him making me realise what a fantastic job people do on site. I got back into my tent a proceeded to chat the ears of my wife who was patiently listening even know she was driving us back home a few hours later. 

I got no sleep as I was reliving all my moments.

24 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Oh no, what a total shame, gp.

I was probably not far behind you; dead level with the centre of the stage, mid-way between stage and sound desk. 

And it was just sublime. 

I loved the people around me during that set. Loved them. It was just...looks...knowing looks. That ‘whoa / phewf / I-get-it face / nod thing / shared moment’ moment. 

Also, imagine being the actual intended muse / recipient / subject of Firesmoke!

Also, massive props to Hinako Omori. She worked wonders and her timing - esp. during a spoken word gig - was immaculate. And she looked incredible too. I loved it when her and Kate embraced at the end. 

We had that last time we saw her as we were right at the front on the barrier and everyone around us was totally up for it. It can make such a difference to your experience. The chatters really spoiled my enjoyment of Kate and I lost my ability to get caught up in it due to not feeling especially charitable towards the people around me. Didn't help that it was the second night running that people talking had ruined my experience. The night before for Michael Kiwanuka I had the same thing but thankfully was a little further back and so after moving 3 times I managed to find a decent spot. Sadly, think a lot of groups reunite at sub-headliner time and think it's more important to share their experiences of the day than listen to who is on. 

31 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

We had that last time we saw her as we were right at the front on the barrier and everyone around us was totally up for it. It can make such a difference to your experience. The chatters really spoiled my enjoyment of Kate and I lost my ability to get caught up in it due to not feeling especially charitable towards the people around me. Didn't help that it was the second night running that people talking had ruined my experience. The night before for Michael Kiwanuka I had the same thing but thankfully was a little further back and so after moving 3 times I managed to find a decent spot. Sadly, think a lot of groups reunite at sub-headliner time and think it's more important to share their experiences of the day than listen to who is on. 

I feel your pain, gp. 

I think I was lucky in being pretty much on my own most of the week (but meeting up with friends during a day and at camp if needed) in that if I needed to move for any reason I could. 

I moved gradually back during Jon Hopkins and Foals partly cos it got a bit hot / claustrophobic, partly as friends were nearby, and also during Pip Blom due to chatterers. Lucky in that I didn’t have to get others to move with me or split off from a group. 

A lot has happened since I went in 2016 including some sad stuff and some happy. I was prepared for some emotion and it was trying to flow all of Friday. Then I broke in the most unexpected way. 

Watched Vampire Weekend at the Park Saturday morning then hid in the shade of the Bimble Inn. The DJ was playing some top quality soft rock. First Hall and Oates which reminds me childhood holidays and my (ill) Dad. Then Everywhere by Fleetwood Mac which reminds me of my (ill) Mum.

Then Winds of Change by The Scorpions broke me. Add together the lack of sleep, drink, heat, sensory overload, video call with wife and kids that morning, then the nostalgic songs making me think of family and being a kid and I broke. Burst into tears.

Then I composed myself and wandered out of the tent to see glorious sunshine and the festival below me and went "shitshitshitImatGlastonbury" and went again, but tears of happiness. ? That was it, I was all softened up and ready to go!

P.S. Was still able to get emotional in a Pizza Hut on Tuesday when they played Sigrid and the flashbacks kicked in.

• Upvote 2

Lukas Nelson - Forget About Georgia gets me every time. 

Lily Bud during Billy’s Radical Round Up- That voice those lyrics stunning 

Vampire Weekend - Jerusalem, New York, Berlin wasn’t expecting that at all, the tears were rolling down my face

The Cure - After finally getting round to seeing them I was emotional from Plainsong all the way tell the end

7 minutes ago, TheSheriff said:

Vampire Weekend - Jerusalem, New York, Berlin wasn’t expecting that at all, the tears were rolling down my face

I was pretty wasted and exhausted from the weekend/sun by this point and I'd totally forgotten they'd closed with this until reading your post. A couple of odd setlist choices from them for a Pyramid sub slot but it's all come rushing back to me now what a beautiful moment this was.

• Upvote 1

The Cure opening with Plainsong and Pictures of you. Teared up.

Plus, hearing Loyle Carner perform 'Ottolenghi', whilst I was at my campsite. Beautiful song, setting sun and the realisation Glastonbury was edging towards a close. The typical bittersweet feeling of a festival Sunday evening.

James (BPEC)

On 7/6/2019 at 10:33 PM, Flysheet said:

Bar-Steward Sons of Val Doonican frontman Scott was really nervous before they played and those of us that are fans (mates really) of the band had spent days on fb trying to convince they were going to smash it. My mate and Mrs had also never seen them and spent an hour pissing themselves whilst the band took the roof off the Avalon. I was just so pleased for Scott that I got proper moist eyed during the set!

Perfect sunday morning set. I'd never seen them. They were great

Sheryl Crow - Soak Up The Sun

Twas a long time ago. My granny (RIP) was ill and I used to take her to hospital appointments. Whilst waiting until she was sorted, this song seemed to be on repeat in waiting room tannoy. It came on and after 14 years I finally broke down and mourned a woman who was always there for me. At time she died I had to be emotionless and be a 'man' for my mum. I finally got to say goodbye last week. Thank you 

• Upvote 9

For me it was Frank Turner on the Friday night. First Glasto without my best mate who passed away in the fallow year. Had scattered his ashes on the site and to be there for his favourite artist, hearing Polaroid picture and way I tend to be just set me off!

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Perfect sunday morning set. I'd never seen them. They were great

Don't know if you've seen but they recorded the set and are going to be selling it as a download plus a limited number of CDs. I've seen them countless times since 2012 and very rarely listen to them at home though, best experienced live.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Don't know if you've seen but they recorded the set and are going to be selling it as a download plus a limited number of CDs. I've seen them countless times since 2012 and very rarely listen to them at home though, best experienced live.

We have bought one of the Cds for the car journey down to Boomtown next month. They seemed genuinely chuffed with how things went, especially first up on the Sunday. The dinghy was a big surprise to us. 

The end of Bramble FM in Glebeland on Sunday afternoon got me.   Their last show after starting in 2003.    Poor Maureen in tears at the end with the MASH theme tune playing in the background.  Definite lump in the throat.

Bar-Steward Sons of Val Doonican frontman Scott was really nervous before they played and those of us that are fans (mates really) of the band had spent days on fb trying to convince they were going to smash it. My mate and Mrs had also never seen them and spent an hour pissing themselves whilst the band took the roof off the Avalon. I was just so pleased for Scott that I got proper moist eyed during the set!

Sadly my over-indulgence (maybe not over, it was definitely worth it!) on Saturday night meant that an early slot on Sunday was never going to happen, but I was a bit gutted to miss these guys having seen them at BDs last year.  Really glad to hear it went well and they've got a few new converts.  Brilliant to hear that they went for the dinghy as well :D

Miley with 'Malibu' set me off, because, y'know, family 'n' kids 'n' stuff, but then she shifted it to that awful Gigamesh remix and I was able to rein it in a bit. Also, there was definitely a moment or two (or three) somewhere during Lizzo, but that goes without saying.

There was perhaps one moment though...

I too am a big fan and didn't want to miss their Glasto debut. Like usual I found that instead of having plenty of time I cut it relatively fine and got there 10 minutes before they were due on. To find an empty tent. No one waiting for them to come on. I nervously looked round at people milling about in Avalon field - were they all waiting to go in the tent at the last minute?  They certainly didn't  look like it. Oh god, were they going to be playing to an almost empty tent consisting of me and a couple of randoms?

No. I had got the time wrong and I was an hour early. Of course they smashed it. And I felt like a proud mum! Like you I was welling up.

• Like 1

Was listening to Maggie Rogers earlier and had a flashback to being stood at the front of the other stage with a wet flannel on my neck literally sweating out the bottle of fireball I drank the night before. Heard the opening notes to Light On and the wobbly lip started and that was it, I was gone for the rest of the set. 

I've not felt 100% since coming back from Glasto and my god I had a big cry when that memory clicked.

It was so lovely to see the absolute joy on his face all of the way through that set. I took a few newbies to see them and they were all crying with laughter... especially to How deep is your glove. I'm hoping they'll be back.

Tjuana in Glasgow who never got a ticket thought Maggie Rogers was the real surprise

No clue who she is

Sensational

She reminded me of Jesse Ware in the JP a few years ago 

Not being there hammered on mdma from start to finish has it's benefits sometimes

Serendipity

Edited by Tijuana

Kylie got me a couple of times, I was not too far away from the couple who got engaged with the plane message and they were just so happy bless them. 

When she was talking about 2005 and then again during All The Lovers, I didn't even think that a Kylie set would ever make me have those emotions but everything just sort of combined. What a fantastic set.

Beans on Toast at Greenpeace with Jamie and talking about the NHS. Mrs Doug is newly qualified in the NHS and it's been a tough year for her learning the ropes and we both went when he was talking about it. 

Our final litter pick on the monday morning when we said our goodbyes until next year got me too, we had just had our group photo for the charity and said our goodbyes when it suddenly dawned on me that it was over for another year. 

6 hours ago, Curlygirl said:

I'm hoping they'll be back.

I hope so too as they clashed with Queen Mavis and as it's her 80th birthday tomorrow I knew I had to grab the chance to see her whilst I still can. Hope they will be back though as I've heard good things and like everything I've heard.