Emotional moments

Crazyfool01

6 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Beans on Toast at Greenpeace. 2nd festival running he's got me with Jamie & Lilly.

I was stood next to the couple who got up and danced with Jamie, and seeing the bloke crying as Jamie was speaking about his wife got me. 

But hands down most emotional for me had to be the Scott Hutchinson tribute in the trees above the stone circle on Thursday featuring a couple FR songs by Frank Turner. It all got a bit much. 

For me the emotional moments were:

Beans on Toast on the Greenpeace stage when he got Jamie (of the Jamie and Lilly song) on stage with another couple. It’s not usually until Saturday or Sunday that the tears come out, but this really got me!

Joe from Idles when his wife came on stage to give him a hug. Especially after his speech about mother’s. They were brilliant, and he seemed so blown away by the crowd. 

During No Geography at Chemical Brothers, having a dance with my mates and realising how lucky I am to be at the best festival in the world. Pure happiness. 

Nick Mulvey’s secret set in the Tipi Field on Friday night. I think the tears started about 20 mins in and didn’t seem to stop. Amazing gig. 

Definitely during Johnny Marrs set and Liams.. Those were real 'I've waited so long for this' moments and the shear delight of hearing that riff of 'how soon is now' kicking off and its ACTUALLY that and not a sample..

Quite a bit during Kylies set.. Especially when Nick Cave came on..

Then obviously boys might not cry, but ancient Cure fan's who've never seen em before certainly do :)

[tbh, probably couldn't have coped with Beans if Jamie came on as well, it was bad enough when he played Leftfield and they both came on stage!]

Edited by davefb

12 hours ago, Gabi_says said:

I spent most of my time on the different viewing platforms and cried every single time I saw the sign language interpreters.  The way they transmit the intensity and emotion of the songs really got to me and I couldn't hold it together every time I looked at them instead of the stage.
They enhanced the sounds I'm fortunate to hear, and knowing people on the Deaf Zone were able to enjoy the songs just as much as I did made me happy.

Not Glastonbury, but I often return to this video for a smile for the same reason:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Spandex Warrior said:

During No Geography at Chemical Brothers, having a dance with my mates and realising how lucky I am to be at the best festival in the world. Pure happiness. 

Ditto had same experience but was with my two teenage kids and we were all getting down to Galvanize.

11 hours ago, giantkatestacks said:

But most of all yesterday, we had finished the Pyramid Field and it looked pristine and they walked us through Big Ground to do some cleaning before shift end and it was (of course) a mess and it just set me off. I couldnt stop.

Some other litterpickers came over and just formed a little huddle. It just made me feel that all the work we had done on the Pyramid was pointless. Of course it will be clean by the end of this week after the paid litterpickers were done but it just sucked all of the intense joy out of me for that moment.

It wasn’t pointless - you made the festival a better place for everyone lol weekend.

13 hours ago, The Spandex Warrior said:

Me too! Seen Beans more times than I can remember but this one really got me, especially when Jamie and the couple got on stage. Great gig that was. 

EDIT hold on, I meant the set he did on Thursday on the Greenpeace stage... as you were

Lets just agree he made a lot of people cry on multiple stages this weekend. ?

• Upvote 1

So many. I had a terrible 2018 splitting up with my fiancee who I owned an apartment with and I had really hoped Glastonbury might help me turn away from all the negativity still with me and start looking forward... it didn't let me down. The weekend was full of incredible emotional moments that left me feeling reconnected to my old self, my family, my friends and the fields that I've done so much learning and growing in over my life time.

I know from previous experience you should never read reviews of gigs at Glastonbury, but I'm absolutely amazed at the Lauryn Hill reviews. From where I was (and where some family of mine were in a different area of the field) it was absolutely mind-blowing... probably the closest to a genuine spiritual experience I've ever had at a gig. She cracked my soul wide open during Ex-Factor and I was just in floods of tears, singing my heart out until I lost my voice and receiving love from my brother and a crowd of strangers around us. My brother, who wasn't any sort of Lauryn Hill fan before the show (he just came to catch up with me after his shift massaging in the disabled area) ended up nearly communing with God during one of the gospel workouts.

After that, I just felt emotionally wide open for the whole weekend.... probably every waking hour contained something that made me well up... I was frankly a wreck, but my God, happy and I tried my absolute best to pay my feelings forward to everyone I bumped into. I had an afternoon in Shangri-La with my niece and nephew (7 and 11) having waterfights, listening to Norman Jay and answering all their questions about the (hilariously rude when you're with primary school kids!) slogans plastered around... seeing them absorb everything, combined with Greta's energy infusing the site made me swell with hope for the next generation. As I explained the significance of the four female activist heroes on a mural near the Truth stage (Sonita Alizadeh, Emma Gonzalez, Malala and AOC) I completely lost myself... telling the first three broke me in a mixture of pride, hope, anger and sadness and the AOC's role in our generation's fight was told with tears streaming down my face... I have a photo of them, fists in the air in front of it and it's getting framed so I can hold onto that moment.

Edited by Magma
  • Upvote 5

Glasto first-timer here, I was fairly surprised to burst into tears leaving the site for the final time on Sunday night (camped off site). I'm not a cryer at all so caught me off-guard a bit. 

I still haven't processed just how much the weekend meant to me, it was everything I wanted it to be and more. 

• Like 1

There were a few emotional moments for me. 

Firstly, a non-music one which was tears of joy when the Lionesses won. Secondly was during Gabrielle Aplin's set and in particular My Mistake which always gets me. 

Next up was Brandon Flower's tribute to his mum followed quickly by the teaser of Human. Then the full version of Human had me screaming along in floods of tears, so much so that a random girl next to me asked if I was alright after the song had finished. That song was always going to get me though as it was my gran's favourite song and she said for at least the last 10 years (if not longer) for it to be played at her funeral which happened to take place earlier this year and their set was a few days after what would've been her birthday and the first one without her. So I had to do so and raised a can to her as the song finished. 

The penultimate one was Kylie's bit about pulling out in 2005, and finally it was as I pulled out of the site in the early hours of Monday morning.

Just now, Livvy13 said:

Firstly, a non-music one which was tears of joy when the Lionesses won.

God, this was SO good. I've seen England play so many times at Glastonbury and I can't remember ever seeing a win... I'd been tweeting and trying to get the game shown before the festival, but I'd sort of turned up expecting to be watching on my phone. West Holts was excellent - down the front there was loads of room to sit, but by the time my slightly-less-enthusiastic mates showed up the rest of the field was packed like sardines and they could barely make it to Brothers to get a pint. 

When Bronze hit that third... christ. ?

• Upvote 1

Sharon Van Etten - most of her set had me captivated and was welling up for large portions of it. Need to re-watch it immediately. 

Idles - Mother. Always gets me choked up a little and his speech was beautiful. Half expected June which would’ve absolutely crushed me though. 

Bloody Kylie. Nearly went again explaining to Mrs Q how All the Lovers set me off!

She's out tonight so I'll be settling down with iPlayer and a smoke. Further waterworks are forecasted, fully expect Chems to set me off. Sharing a set like that with people that are special to you is something else.

I am normally one to get a lump in the throat at gigs but I just seemed to spend the whole festival on a high this year. Might have been because I was able to let my hair down and really get away from the pressures of work etc. 

There were a couple of bits during Frank Turner’s Avalon set that got to me but other than that it was just one huge buzz. I can only put that down to taking a mate who adores his music but has never had chance to go and seeing his face and reactions all weekend.

There was perhaps one moment though...

Bar-Steward Sons of Val Doonican frontman Scott was really nervous before they played and those of us that are fans (mates really) of the band had spent days on fb trying to convince they were going to smash it. My mate and Mrs had also never seen them and spent an hour pissing themselves whilst the band took the roof off the Avalon. I was just so pleased for Scott that I got proper moist eyed during the set!

Edited by Flysheet

On Tuesday night we stumbled across a singalong around the piano in the Magic Tea pot tea shop in the Green Fields. After a song or two my friend coyly got up and joined them and asked if he could sing a song. They pure joy on his face when singing with them was just heartwarming to watch. Having not been able to get a ticket or a volunteer place since 2010 he was just so happy to be back. Seeing his face like that for the whole week really made my festival better.  

When Frank Turner played Long Live The Queen on Friday night, I broke. The first time I heard it was through my headphones in a supermarket - full on tears in the freezer section. It's a song that I think resonates with everyone and it just hit me so hard when he played it and everyone was singing along. I thought I was ready for it. I was definitely not ready for it.

Beans on Toast at Avalon on Saturday when he played Magic. I knew I was going to cry if he played it and I knew it was going to make my friend next to me cry, and I knew that he didn't know the song yet. We were both away from our young kids and were missing them as it was. I don't think there was a dry eye in the tent after he played those 3 love songs.

Monday morning, just after 8am. I'd just finished my night shift, had handed over my tabbard and radio and was walking back to my camp from the stone circle. The culmination of exhaustion, a stressful and drama filled night and the realisation that it was all over for another year made for a teary walk to my bed.

And, obviously, Kylie talking about 2005

Edited by Beergirl
Forgot about Beans!

16 hours ago, Woffy said:

All of Kate Tempest. 

Mrs Woffy texted me straight after:

”Kate Tempest. Wow”

All I could reply was:

”Yes. Kate Tempest. Wow”

Just. Fucking. Wow. 

Think I would have been more like that if it weren't for sodding chatters both in front and behind me during her set. So frustrating as the new album is quite gentle and I was very near the front, perhaps too near as once it started it was too busy to move away from them. I asked one of them to be quiet and they didn't even acknowledge me. I swear one day I'll be on charges for GBH when I go postal on someone who is chatting during a gig.

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

Think I would have been more like that if it weren't for sodding chatters both in front and behind me during her set. So frustrating as the new album is quite gentle and I was very near the front, perhaps too near as once it started it was too busy to move away from them. I asked one of them to be quiet and they didn't even acknowledge me. I swear one day I'll be on charges for GBH when I go postal on someone who is chatting during a gig.

Oh no, what a total shame, gp.

I was probably not far behind you; dead level with the centre of the stage, mid-way between stage and sound desk. 

And it was just sublime. 

I loved the people around me during that set. Loved them. It was just...looks...knowing looks. That ‘whoa / phewf / I-get-it face / nod thing / shared moment’ moment. 

Also, imagine being the actual intended muse / recipient / subject of Firesmoke!

Also, massive props to Hinako Omori. She worked wonders and her timing - esp. during a spoken word gig - was immaculate. And she looked incredible too. I loved it when her and Kate embraced at the end.