Thoughts about the pyramid sub position.

Matt42

2 hours ago, pilton digger said:

Nick Cave totally owning the field and showing those tweed banjo twats from Mumford's how its done in 2013. One of the best sets on that stage in my humble opinion. By the time he got to Stagger Lee there were posh mummy's dragging their children away from the sweary scary man.

That was funny wasn't it. Never have I seen picnic blankets and chairs folded up so quickly :)

2 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

What I would wager is it's currently used as a holding position for bands that, in the peak of indie rock's dominance 15 years back, probably would be topping the bill. Vampire Weekend, Foals, The National, The XX, Tame Impala, Elbow, Jack White: it reads like a who's who of huge-but-not-quite-headline alt rock. As the Pyramid skews ever more pop, they do have a tendency to feel like outliers.

But it's an important way to shine a light on bands that are regarded as top of their game. Kind of a barometer for the way critical and commercial interests intersect. Pitchfork meets Radio 1 playlists realm. Always interested to see who gets the nod for the sub.

I find it the weirdest slot at the festival now. A fantastic opportunity for bands like you’ve listed above to play to a massive crowd and really go for it.

But... literally every band (bar two that I’ve seen) have pretty much cocked it up.

Its great for the not quite headliners but fashionable acts (Jack White, Foals, Tame Impala) but unless they can draw a pyramid crowd and keep a pyramid crowd it often becomes the worst for mid set chatting. 

Foals in 2016 I was stood relatively towards the middle. I thought they played a bit too laid back and most people around me were just chatting. I think if you are a band of that caliber you should really chase an other stage headline instead! Leave the pyramid sub to the pop (or extremely mainstream) acts.

Edited by Matt42

9 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

Vampire weekend killed it, I was near the front and the crowd was very into it. 

Whereas I was near the back and it felt like they limped through an hour of nothingness. Very difficult to judge the audience from the front as that is where the actual fans of said bands will be so obvs the atmos is good. For a pyramid act to really work. They need to capture the whole field and VWE didn’t come close. I think their lack of engagement with the crowd didn’t help. 

Just now, SouthbanKen said:

Whereas I was near the back and it felt like they limped through an hour of nothingness. Very difficult to judge the audience from the front as that is where the actual fans of said bands will be so obvs the atmos is good. For a pyramid act to really work. They need to capture the whole field and VWE didn’t come close. I think their lack of engagement with the crowd didn’t help. 

That's probably why I always try to go up the front then ? I hate when people arent into the music. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

Thought Vampire Weekend got it right this year. You have to bridge from Miley and Kylie to The Cure somehow, and a mid-tempo stroll through some of the best clever-clever indie rock of the past 10 years was just the trick.

Conversely, as much as it pains me to say it, The National scuffed this up rather noticeably in 2017. Had their chance to nail an 'Elbow moment' and just played five unreleased songs in a row. Bad call.

A tricky slot indeed.

The National is the biggest failure I've seen in that slot, for the reason you listed and ending with Turtleneck, and they are my favorite band. Also a mistake on the festival's part for putting the band in that slot. 

Other notable duds imo are Black Keys (felt so flat) and Beck (people were exhausted/uninterested/just waiting for Coldplay).

VW were brilliant.

I agree overall though. I remember my first few years it being THE best slot. 

I'm sure the sunset slot seems more or a daylight slot than it used to - is it earlier? I'm sure the first few I saw were darker, might be memory playing tricks on me. 

9 hours ago, MetaKate said:

Vampire weekend killed it, I was near the front and the crowd was very into it. 

I was at the front as well, the crowd around me were mainly there for the Cure but really got into VW and there was a great atmosphere. The confetti cannon was right in front of us and when it went off in A-Punk was a special moment.

1 hour ago, Ddiamondd said:

Oh yeah. That one was tough. I loved it, super stoked to finally see him, but clear I was not in the majority. As soon as you make mention of a lethargic crowd, you’re doomed.

I was so excited for Beck, but in hindsight think putting a slightly out there act between two really bland acts was always going to result in a dead crowd.

Enjoyed it despite the crowd, but really wish he'd been on another stage.

13 hours ago, TheBoz said:

As mentioned it needs to be someone to have the well known hits to engage the crowd waiting for the headliner, hence the great sets by George Ezra and Liam Gallagher this year.

Not sure for next year... Dua Lipa for one maybe?

Noel is likely ain't he?

Beck really struggled playing to a field of Coldplay fans... I enjoyed his set, but the atmosphere was far from electric.

Sub on the other is one of the best slots as they get the sunset illuminating the stage, whereas on the Pyramid, the band are essentially in the shadows.

15 hours ago, Jne___ said:

I think my favourite sub slot I’ve seen with the perfect sub slot atmosphere was biffy Clyro in 17. Gorgeous evening light, they put so much effort in, lots of confetti canons,  and felt like (maybe due to Ed sheeran following) a lot of the crowd were treating it as their headliner. 

This! I was being dragged to Sheeran later but Biffy we're 100% my headliner and thought they absolutely smashed it. Their mix of tunes perfect for the time of day and their energy pulled in anyone just floating around. In four Glastonburys that was easily in my top 3 sets.

8 minutes ago, hmmmloddy said:

This! I was being dragged to Sheeran later but Biffy we're 100% my headliner and thought they absolutely smashed it. Their mix of tunes perfect for the time of day and their energy pulled in anyone just floating around. In four Glastonburys that was easily in my top 3 sets.

one of the only few sets from that year to remain in full on youtube too... although I daren't be too vocal about that!

1 hour ago, Losing my hair said:

I was at the front as well, the crowd around me were mainly there for the Cure but really got into VW and there was a great atmosphere. The confetti cannon was right in front of us and when it went off in A-Punk was a special moment.

I was at Billie Eilish for her whole set, literally ran from the other stage to pyramid in about 5 mins flat! I made my way into the crowd on the left just as A-punk started! Perfect timing, dancing into the crowd is so easy. 

It is a tricky slot, as a lot of people aren't interested and are really only waiting for the headliner.  I recall Beck really suffering for this in 2016.

It works best when there's a good sunset and the music complements this.  Elbow do this well, but the best one I remember was Leonard Cohen.

Edited by doogie

After the resounding success of Friendly Fires’ return this year, I personally think they could kill it in a Pyramid sub slot (underneath an appropriate act, obviously). They don’t rely heavily on visuals, their singer is very compelling, and their music is so summery and danceable. You’ll still get people just waiting for the headliner, but they’d probably get them on their feet.

Of course, it depends on how well their new album does next month, but their JP set was BOUNCING. Seemed almost a waste to have it in a tent.