Neil Young 2020

marcwilson87

2 minutes ago, Ted Dansons Wig said:

So I’m out walking the pooch this morning with On the Beach on Spotify. All of a sudden the songs are listed as unavailable. Log out/ back in all the albums gone.

is this just me or as he actually gone and carried out the threat?

3 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Like loads of others, he's sold 50% of his music rights to Hipgnosis a bit ago so I wonder if it makes any difference to him? 

Does half the Spotify money go to them? In which case, I imagine they'll be pretty unhappy.

RECKON HE STILL HAS A SAY OVER USAGE

3 minutes ago, Neil said:

RECKON HE STILL HAS A SAY OVER USAGE

He must have, can't Imagine the paltry sums Spotify pay will damage either him or Hignosis though. 

One of my most listened to artists most years, there's a few holes in my vinyl collection I'll have to plug.

I for one support 'the old fool'.

I also find Spotify a dreadful monopoly. Artists are essentially forced to be on their service with their dreadful royalties if they want any reach these days. Any time an artist asserts themselves against this for any reason, it is a good thing.

• Upvote 1

What I find interesting is Spotify actually took them down. Spotifiy could have very easily ignored Neil as it was just a letter rather than getting his lawyer or manager to do something and left them up but taking the songs down they are the ones making the stance and getting the average to notice and ask why is he no longer on there.

In anycase Spotify fucked themselves over spending all of that money on Joe Rogan ($100m on a free podcast lol) so they have to back him or make the deal look even more stupid.

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

Like loads of others, he's sold 50% of his music rights to Hipgnosis a bit ago so I wonder if it makes any difference to him? 

Does half the Spotify money go to them? In which case, I imagine they'll be pretty unhappy.

It's very on brand for Young to male $150 million form a company and just a few weeks later fuck them over by cutting one of their revenue streams 

I don't think this was a coincidence that it all happened on the day Rogan dropped one of his biggest podcasts, a four hour chat with Jordan Peterson. A red pill wet dream.

I can't bear the idea of listening to it, but caught some "highlights", wherein two guys with absolutely zero background in physical sciences denounce the credibility of climate change... and for that reason, I'm out.

16 minutes ago, jump said:

In anycase Spotify fucked themselves over spending all of that money on Joe Rogan ($100m on a free podcast lol) so they have to back him or make the deal look even more stupid.

Rogan gets 11 million listens per episode and each episode is over 2 hours long. That's a lot of add revenue.

I don't think they've released the numbers but they've said the number of subscriptions the podcast has generated has exceeded their expectation.

The $100 million is over 5 years so as insane as it might seem it sounds like they are on course to make a profit from the podcast. 

I'm not a Rogan fan by the way

1 minute ago, maelzoid said:

I don't think this was a coincidence that it all happened on the day Rogan dropped one of his biggest podcasts, a four hour chat with Jordan Peterson. A red pill wet dream.

I can't bear the idea of listening to it, but caught some "highlights", wherein two guys with absolutely zero background in physical sciences denounce the credibility of climate change... and for that reason, I'm out.

but climate is literally everything!

35 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I for one support 'the old fool'.

I also find Spotify a dreadful monopoly. Artists are essentially forced to be on their service with their dreadful royalties if they want any reach these days. Any time an artist asserts themselves against this for any reason, it is a good thing.

So do I. I ignore Spotify, there’s no point being a music lover and destroying music by not supporting it adequately 

24 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Fucking hell.

12 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

Rogan gets 11 million listens per episode and each episode is over 2 hours long. That's a lot of add revenue.

I don't think they've released the numbers but they've said the number of subscriptions the podcast has generated has exceeded their expectation.

The $100 million is over 5 years so as insane as it might seem it sounds like they are on course to make a profit from the podcast. 

I'm not a Rogan fan by the way

The length of a podcast doesn't matter as Spotify don't play ads during a podcast. I was listening to a 5/6 hour podcast the other day and it was the longest I spent on Spotify without having to hear Billie Eilish miserably talk about Spotify.

Joe's listenership is actually down now but it doesn't matter as it was just part of Spotify trying to become content creators rather than just a hosting site which has gone tits up with their other podcasts like The Harry and Meghan one flopping so they are forced to back Joe otherwise it's time to admit defeat.

1 minute ago, jump said:

The length of a podcast doesn't matter as Spotify don't play ads during a podcast. I was listening to a 5/6 hour podcast the other day and it was the longest I spent on Spotify without having to hear Billie Eilish miserably talk about Spotify.

Joe's listenership is actually down now but it doesn't matter as it was just part of Spotify trying to become content creators rather than just a hosting site which has gone tits up with their other podcasts like The Harry and Meghan one flopping so they are forced to back Joe otherwise it's time to admit defeat.

There are ad breaks if you don't have a subscription, at least there is for me

21 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

There are ad breaks if you don't have a subscription, at least there is for me

I don't have a subscription and the podcasts I listen to don't have ad breaks from Spotify, just the in show shilling. That would just fuck them over as it would encourage people to use Apple or whoever instead since they don't have ads.

Maybe it's just Joe as I don't listen to him and it's a way to get their money back.

Edited by jump

28 minutes ago, jump said:

I don't think I have ever heard anyone sound so bored while shilling for the man.

I honestly would love to hear the outtakes of that recording session...."Nice, Billie. Perhaps you can try one more, just a little bit more enthusiasm... great...."

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I don't think I have ever heard anyone sound so bored while shilling for the man.

I honestly would love to hear the outtakes of that recording session...."Nice, Billie. Perhaps you can try one more, just a little bit more enthusiasm... great...."

Yeah, if that was the best take I'd love to hear the worst ones.

I'm surprised they even used it, even if she is a big star it just means you have a big star finding Spotify boring to talk about. lol

On 7/1/2019 at 7:25 PM, Chinaski_ said:

I saw him 5 years ago and he was dreadful. :( I would hate for that to be my only live memory of him so hopefully he's back on form. 

We saw him at Newcastle Arena quite a few years ago.  He started playing some Jazz Fusion stuff and during a quiet bit i presume a  huge Neil Young fan, stood up from his seat waving his arms shouting " This is rubbish  , what is this rubbish ?"