Neil Young 2020

marcwilson87

3 minutes ago, Henrik said:

He is demanding censorship. Hardly rocking in the free world is it 🤣

No, he's not.

If Spotify, for any reason chose to stop broadcasting Rogen's show, that is still not censorship. Censorship is when an authoritative body prevents Rogen from broadcasting entirely. 

Young is saying he does not want to do business with a company that monetises Covid / vaccine disinformation.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

No, he's not.

If Spotify, for any reason chose to stop broadcasting Rogen's show, that is still not censorship. Censorship is when an authoritative body prevents Rogen from broadcasting entirely. 

Young is saying he does not want to do business with a company that monetises Covid / vaccine disinformation.

No, he's not. 

He has literally said it is either my music or his show. So he will happily do business with them if they agree to his censorship demands. Rogan first, who's next? 

1 minute ago, Henrik said:

No, he's not. 

He has literally said it is either my music or his show. So he will happily do business with them if they agree to his censorship demands. Rogan first, who's next? 

Anyone else who wilfully spreads lies that can literally kill people?

18 minutes ago, Henrik said:

No, he's not. 

Why do you love Rogan so much? Ahh no, you’re not another one of these ’red pilled’ internet guys who turned their ’beta’ life around by tidying your room and eating raw meat are ya?

As much as I would love to spend the rest of the day chatting with Neil Young fans on the internet, I think we can draw a line under it. 

Old Neil has deleted his letter, and his music is still available to stream on Spotify. Looks like the old fool has come to his senses. 

31 minutes ago, Henrik said:

No, he's not. 

But that is categorically not censorship. Because nobody here would be suppressing Rogen's output. He would be free to broadcast with anyone else who would have him.

And even if it were censorship, would that be a bad thing? People seem to assume that all censorship is by definition wrong, but it has a useful role to play in society, specifically hate speech and incitement to violence. I think we are now faced with the question on whether vaccine disinformation should be censored, because it absolutely does lead to deaths. Certain platforms like Facebook and Twitter are making moves to censor vaccine disinformation, and I don't think it's outrageous to expect Spotify to do the same, especially when in this case they are creators of the content (by directly paying Rogen), rather than mere carriers.

39 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

And even if it were censorship, would that be a bad thing? People seem to assume that all censorship is by definition wrong, but it has a useful role to play in society, specifically hate speech and incitement to violence. I think we are now faced with the question on whether vaccine disinformation should be censored, because it absolutely does lead to deaths. Certain platforms like Facebook and Twitter are making moves to censor vaccine disinformation, and I don't think it's outrageous to expect Spotify to do the same, especially when in this case they are creators of the content (by directly paying Rogen), rather than mere carriers.

Simple question for you: who gets to decide who should and who shouldn't be censored? 

Take as long as you need to think about that one. 

Edited by Henrik

2 minutes ago, Henrik said:

Simple question for you: who gets to decide who should and who shouldn't be censored? 

Take as long as you need to think about that one. 

Firstly, it is not a question of who gets censored, but what gets censored. The content of the message should dictate any censorship, not the source.

It is decided through societal consensus. It is enacted through a combination of public policy, laws and regulation of broadcast, publication and other media.

On a practical level this is of course hard to get right a lot of the time. When MPs make laws over what should be censored, they are writing policy based on what they believe is best, rather than consulting with the entirety of the population, and most new policy will be based on previous versions and the public response to them - does the censorship go too far, or not far enough?

Do you believe all censorship is wrong? Should we allow a platform for holocaust deniers, for IS beheading videos?

I believe these things should be censored. The question we face today is should vaccine/covid disinformation be treated the same way? I haven't got a definitive answer for that, but it is indisputable that these lies have cost lives.

2 minutes ago, Ted Dansons Wig said:

So I’m out walking the pooch this morning with On the Beach on Spotify. All of a sudden the songs are listed as unavailable. Log out/ back in all the albums gone.

is this just me or as he actually gone and carried out the threat?

Yep, apart from a couple of live recordings everything is gone.