Neil Young 2020

marcwilson87

If Neil is indeed headlining, I am very intrigued by the band that will be with him.

He's said Crazy Horse are up next in late 2019, but they now feature Nils Lofgren once again, and Springsteen has said the ESB will tour again in 2020. Could Nils have made a controversial choice?

Promise of the Real would be a fantastic choice, but I figured the return of Crazy Horse and their own careers would spell an end to their relationship for a while. However, maybe a 2020 return explains the bizarrely short European tour this year?

Third and least likely option is Crazy Horse with Poncho out of retirement. Just can't see it happening, but he did always want a big huzzah farewell tour, so this could be part of it.

Has to be Promise of the Real, right? With them I think he could equal and/or surpass his 2009 set, whereas Crazy Horse just can't handle some of the more subtle songs in his back catalogue (not a diss, they have their own merits.)

10 hours ago, judyblue110 said:

If Neil is indeed headlining, I am very intrigued by the band that will be with him.

He's said Crazy Horse are up next in late 2019, but they now feature Nils Lofgren once again, and Springsteen has said the ESB will tour again in 2020. Could Nils have made a controversial choice?

Promise of the Real would be a fantastic choice, but I figured the return of Crazy Horse and their own careers would spell an end to their relationship for a while. However, maybe a 2020 return explains the bizarrely short European tour this year?

Third and least likely option is Crazy Horse with Poncho out of retirement. Just can't see it happening, but he did always want a big huzzah farewell tour, so this could be part of it.

Has to be Promise of the Real, right? With them I think he could equal and/or surpass his 2009 set, whereas Crazy Horse just can't handle some of the more subtle songs in his back catalogue (not a diss, they have their own merits.)

Nils will drop everything, even Neiler, to be with the EStreet Band.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
16 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Been watching what is available of his 2009 set tonight. Incredible stuff, more that anything else, it's the single most amazing Glastonbury set that I wasn't at.

A Day In The Life is off the scale.

Man, for my first Glastonbury having Neil, Bruce and The Prodigy as headliners was absolutely insane.

I've seen all of them multiple times but there's something special about seeing them on the farm. 

5 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Been watching what is available of his 2009 set tonight. Incredible stuff, more that anything else, it's the single most amazing Glastonbury set that I wasn't at.

My personal favourite televised Glastonbury moment, without question.

7 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Amazing set, my first Glastonbury headliner and still one of my favourites to this day. Fond memories of people singing Rocking in the Free World long into the night. 

• 8 months later...

34 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Such a Guardian thing to do sticking Harvest at #17. It may not be my favourite but it’s a damn classic.

Ach - in this instance I don't doubt my man's sincerity. He's a well known Rustie*

*I once met a Neil Young fan and she swore down that that's what the Neiler hardcore call themselves....  but it is the only time I've ever heard the term out in the field.

My top ten list.

10. Old Ways (1985)

9. American Stars ’N Bars (1977)

8. Harvest Moon (1992)

7. Harvest (1972)

6. After the Gold Rush (1970)

5. Trans (1982)

4. Comes a Time (1978)

3. On the Beach (1974)

2. Zuma (1975)

1. Tonight’s the Night (1975)

10 hours ago, bamber said:

My top ten list.

10. Old Ways (1985)

9. American Stars ’N Bars (1977)

8. Harvest Moon (1992)

7. Harvest (1972)

6. After the Gold Rush (1970)

5. Trans (1982)

4. Comes a Time (1978)

3. On the Beach (1974)

2. Zuma (1975)

1. Tonight’s the Night (1975)

Big respect for anyone who can list their top 10 fave NY albums!

On 11/7/2020 at 9:36 AM, FloorFiller said:

Such a Guardian thing to do sticking Harvest at #17. It may not be my favourite but it’s a damn classic.

Lol, quite. That might persuade a few casuals that he has lots of other albums worth listening to though.

Nice list @bamber - Trans is better than I remember it. Neil Top 10s are definitely something I can get on board with, here's mine:

10. Freedom

9. Everybody Knows (This Is Nowhere)

8. Comes A Time

7. Harvest

6. Ragged Glory

5. Zuma

4. Tonight's The Night

3. Rust Never Sleeps

2. On the Beach

1. After the Gold Rush

'Tonights the Night' remains standing as my favourite Neil Young album after all these years- enhanced by the tale I read about, that when touring the album, the audience were not pleased at him only playing all this new dirge music, with none of his familiar previous 'hits'. He'd start with a long, drawn out version of 'Tonights the Night', then at the end of the concert, would say "Now here's one you might already know" and preceded to play a long dirge version of 'Tonights the Night' again!😂

Also love 'On the Beach', 'Rust Never Sleeps' and Everybody Knows this is nowhere', so I agree with the top of the guardians list.

Weirdly, I've grown to really like 'Like an Inca' from the Trans album. It's not the greatest song, but for some reason I don't want it to end after a few minutes of listening to it!