Carlsberg Pilsner > Tuborg

bsolxiv

30 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

Yeah, Carlsberg miles better 

Prices did vary quite a bit from bar to bar.

£5 in some, £5.40 in others, £6 in Avalon

Wetherspoons it was not 

That was my thoughts, thought price would be standardised throughout the festival, the Avalon price was a bit much but it’s such a great location and bar, maybe that’s the reason. 

33 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Is it really massively better than than the old Carlsberg though? Just seems like they slapped a new name on it and that’s it. Don’t get me wrong it was lovely to get a nice cold pint, but I didn’t think it actually tasted of anything?

No it’s not. Both still utter shit but one’s less fucking vile than the other. Tory leadership campaign all over again.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Is it really massively better than than the old Carlsberg though? Just seems like they slapped a new name on it and that’s it. Don’t get me wrong it was lovely to get a nice cold pint, but I didn’t think it actually tasted of anything?

Obviously it’s not going to win any craft ale awards but It’s definitely better than old Carlsberg and absolutely miles better than Tuborg.

4 hours ago, bsolxiv said:

Just saying. The improvement in lager made my festival experience so much better, especially in the heat.

Also, can someone (maybe @glasto-worker) remind me why WBC bars charge 40p more for the same drinks?

well in London prices vary by a lot more than that - my local Pub has a special offer on Carlsberg - £2.60 and its not a J D Wetherspoon's but within walking distance its £4.50 or £5.00 - each independent Pub has its own deals.

Now I know why some bar operators at Glastonbury are able to reduce costs as they pay their Volunteers less than the WBC does - its a complex issue which I am not going to go into.

Some bars that used to be controlled by the WBC is not now controlled by them.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

well in London prices vary by a lot more than that - my local Pub has a special offer on Carlsberg - £2.60 and its not a J D Wetherspoon's but within walking distance its £4.50 or £5.00 - each independent Pub has its own deals.

Now I know why some bar operators at Glastonbury are able to reduce costs as they pay their Volunteers less than the WBC does - its a complex issue which I am not going to go into.

Some bars that used to be controlled by the WBC is not now controlled by them.

Thanks for the reply @glasto-worker . I guess because things like soft drinks cans were standard £2 across the site I figured lager / ale (of which there is little choice of variety among the larger bars) would be standard too? If they are able to choose their own prices then what stops them charging £6/£7 per pint across the site?

1 hour ago, autoinflate said:

It wasn't there that I bought the San MIguel, but good to hear they have it too.

Didn't make it to the Beat Hotel this year for some reason.

Also had it in Cockmill bar outside acoustic tent. 

5 hours ago, autoinflate said:

There was a big bar near the Pyramid in the main market (can't remember exactly where) that had San Miguel on tap, which was > Carlsberg which I do agree is > Tuborg.

some wbc bars did sell San Miguel and some other Operators - not sure what you are on about. 

5 hours ago, bsolxiv said:

Thanks for the reply @glasto-worker . I guess because things like soft drinks cans were standard £2 across the site I figured lager / ale (of which there is little choice of variety among the larger bars) would be standard too? If they are able to choose their own prices then what stops them charging £6/£7 per pint across the site?

I am not getting into beer contracts as its a very complex subject - there is nothing standard about prices and that is set very close to the event - The WBC may have made a trading loss at Glastonbury 2019 - Yes I know it did not rain but very hot weather reduces demand.

This year was the first one when i reconsidered my position. Previously, i’d always been of the opinion that i’d bring spirits but get pints at the bar. However, 6 quid a pint for poor quality lager and shockingly inefficient service, i’m out for next year.

I can get 4 pack of neck oil/gamma ray for about 7 quid. Would save me a fortune over 5 days, plus save hours on getting served. Sunday lunchtime (1pm) at the bar opposite the cider bus was ridiculous. 25 mins to get served. 

4 hours ago, Mardy said:

This year was the first one when i reconsidered my position. Previously, i’d always been of the opinion that i’d bring spirits but get pints at the bar. However, 6 quid a pint for poor quality lager and shockingly inefficient service, i’m out for next year.

I can get 4 pack of neck oil/gamma ray for about 7 quid. Would save me a fortune over 5 days, plus save hours on getting served. Sunday lunchtime (1pm) at the bar opposite the cider bus was ridiculous. 25 mins to get served. 

Got to agree with the queues. Probably the heat but some of the staff were a bit on the slow side this year.

9 minutes ago, bsolxiv said:

Got to agree with the queues. Probably the heat but some of the staff were a bit on the slow side this year.

Working conditions in the bars I was on were hellish.  Not just the heat but also due to too few staff and poor management, e.g. stock not being available when needed.  I was working at my usual light-speed pace, but didn't stand a hope in hell of making a dent in the wait-times or remembering which of the sea of faces in front of me was next.

Discussion point: the concept of a 'bar' comes from pubs - it's the place where old regulars sit and pontificate whilst occasionally giving the bar staff a nod when they want another.  A festival 'bulk' bar is nothing at all like a pub, especially in between headline acts.  So why pretend it is?  Why organise it as a 10 metre long free-for-all?  Why not just introduce some form of queueing system?  That would instantly wipe out any stress about getting the server's attention or late arrivers getting served before you.  Once you've joined the line, it would be just a matter of waiting your turn, and I bet the queues would become a hotbed of social interaction rather than bad-tempered competition and stress - something to look forward to rather than prepare for.  It would completely transform the experience for the bar staff too.

11 hours ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

Working conditions in the bars I was on were hellish.  Not just the heat but also due to too few staff and poor management, e.g. stock not being available when needed.  I was working at my usual light-speed pace, but didn't stand a hope in hell of making a dent in the wait-times or remembering which of the sea of faces in front of me was next.

Discussion point: the concept of a 'bar' comes from pubs - it's the place where old regulars sit and pontificate whilst occasionally giving the bar staff a nod when they want another.  A festival 'bulk' bar is nothing at all like a pub, especially in between headline acts.  So why pretend it is?  Why organise it as a 10 metre long free-for-all?  Why not just introduce some form of queueing system?  That would instantly wipe out any stress about getting the server's attention or late arrivers getting served before you.  Once you've joined the line, it would be just a matter of waiting your turn, and I bet the queues would become a hotbed of social interaction rather than bad-tempered competition and stress - something to look forward to rather than prepare for.  It would completely transform the experience for the bar staff too.

I  know what you mean but after trials in Hyde park using a barrier system to create a organised queue 13 years ago GFL { they have a new name this year but you know who I am on about } rejected the idea due to health and safety issues.

shot taken on the first day { we were there for 14 days } and we soon worked out it was quicker holding people back so there was less people at the counter - so none of the problem on which Customer you were serving.

over the time - the front line staff would give a wave when they wanted the next customer who would arrive ' just as the current customer was leaving by a separate exit.'

-----------

sure they take up space but I know they are worth it + a extra bonus - Security would check ID as well.

working in that heat is no joke - so what bar were you in ?

I am lucky as I am allowed to pick where I work hence why I stick to the crew bar where there is only one busy night - Sunday.

hyde-park2.jpg.8e6801e3b478105761e4c09a2bea5a3c.jpg