Coping with the aftermath

D-Low

What's everybody's strategy for coping with post festival blues?

I've only been home a few hours and I'm already feeling very sad and deflated. I have The National to look forward to next week but it's not helping in the slightest. I think the weather played a part this year in making it one of my favourites, despite a rather weak line-up for my tastes. All the random little interactions with people. Your campsite neighbours. The food. All the noises and smells and 5am chats with strangers. Every year it hits me harder and harder and this one is already feeling particularly bad, I'm not afraid to admit I've already welled up three times with emotion and at this rate won't be able to bring myself to watch any highlights on iPlayer for a good few weeks, if at all.

The silence in my house is deafening and I genuinely can't stay indoors - I'm genuinely going to have to go to Tesco to surround myself with any kind any hustle and bustle.

When does it start getting easier?

I’m going back to work tomorrow and feeling dreadful. It’s easy to forget how much this festival takes up, it’s not just the 5 days of euphoria in a field, it’s the months leading up to it. The constant checking of line up updates. The buying little bits and pieces adding to the glasto pile in your room (now left with the empty space it once was). The food and alcohol runs at the supermarkets. 

I went to the gym earlier. The killers came on shuffle and I had to skip it instantly before I broke down. Even the smell of smoke outside from a neighbours fire transports me straight back. 

Edited by D-Low

I dont want to say I'm having the worst moment of my life, but yeah, I'm probably having the worst moment of my life. My best friend was a total dick to me Saturday night because of her come down, my other friend was a dick to me Sunday afternoon bc I was trying to bring him his drugs he forgot in his tent (I went out of my way to grab them for him) during Kiley and the fucker couldn't give me a single descriptor of where he was in the field, so I left. 

Took us 4hrs of queuing to get the train on Monday, packed up at 1230pm and didnt get home til 9pm. 

Got on a flight the next am back to Canada...8.5hr flight didnt sleep at all and felt on the verge of a mental breakdown. 

Got back to my apartment, and the whole thing has been flooded for at least 5 days. Much of my stuff ruined, very homeless, best friend mentioned above claiming to be sick and so im in a hotel. Landlord refusing to pay anything or break lease and I honestly dont know what to do or what my recourse is. Also went back to work at around 11am bc it was checkout time and I literally had no where else to go. 

This is a low low moment internet folks. 

I might have to lay off the drugs next year as I cannot cope right now.  

1 hour ago, MetaKate said:

I dont want to say I'm having the worst moment of my life, but yeah, I'm probably having the worst moment of my life. My best friend was a total dick to me Saturday night because of her come down, my other friend was a dick to me Sunday afternoon bc I was trying to bring him his drugs he forgot in his tent (I went out of my way to grab them for him) during Kiley and the fucker couldn't give me a single descriptor of where he was in the field, so I left. 

Took us 4hrs of queuing to get the train on Monday, packed up at 1230pm and didnt get home til 9pm. 

Got on a flight the next am back to Canada...8.5hr flight didnt sleep at all and felt on the verge of a mental breakdown. 

Got back to my apartment, and the whole thing has been flooded for at least 5 days. Much of my stuff ruined, very homeless, best friend mentioned above claiming to be sick and so im in a hotel. Landlord refusing to pay anything or break lease and I honestly dont know what to do or what my recourse is. Also went back to work at around 11am bc it was checkout time and I literally had no where else to go. 

Oh, that is bad, alright. Really bad shit. I hope that your lot improves sooner rather than later.

4 hours ago, MetaKate said:

Crumbs .., all the best xxx 

7 hours ago, MetaKate said:

Really sorry to hear this. Hopefully your friends will eventually realise how crappy they've been and apologise. Your landlord sounds horrible, don't know the laws in Canada but surely they have to be accountable to some degree (depending the source of the flood).

Hope you get sorted soon.

Edited by cammie81

I get a bit sad after the festival but don't suffer too badly but I'm going to guess the comedown is partially a drugs comedown which I don't do. 

@MetaKate Hope you get your flat sorted. Your landlord should be helping you out as it's their job to ensure that it's habitable. 

@D-Low I find watching the footage actually helps. It keeps it going a bit longer. 

Edited by gigpusher

Back in work yesterday, not helped in the slightest by the fact I get my bus from the exact same spot we got the coach to the festival. Plenty of "this time last week" feelings while fighting back the tears yesterday morning. Don't feel as bad today and the comedown seems to have lessened, but had an overwhelming feeling of slightly missing out as it was our first time and we were unable to explore as much as we'd have liked due to the intense heat in the day. Although reassuring myself that I'd have felt this either way due to the sheer size and scale of the site & it would have been impossible to see everything anyway. Just bumbling through until the weekend now

Edited by BOBBY_FIRMINO

9 hours ago, MetaKate said:

Wow that's awful, hope everything can start to get sorted, get onto citizens advice asap, shelter also offer advice on this sort of issue

It's the jet lag feeling that gets me - I'd put it down to drugs etc in the past but have also done a drug free festival before and felt the same - Was up for 48 hours Tues in to Wed, got 3 hours sleep next night, 1 hour sleep night after, a good 7 hour sleep then was up for 48 hours coming home. Body clock is just shot to pieces and just as I think I'm ok, I get the tiredness wave again. 

No solution for it bar sensible sleeping at the festival which ain't gonna happen!

10 hours ago, nilolium said:

i'm preparing for the next festivals. looking forward to sacred ground, melt, habitat. that's my strategy of coping with the whole festival addiction thing. just never stop ^^

I wish had others to go to. Can't get any more time off work :( Next year I'm going to make a point of booking two. Or at the very least a holiday to follow on from the festival to re-charge my batteries.

11 hours ago, gigpusher said:

@D-Low I find watching the footage actually helps. It keeps it going a bit longer. 

I really need to download those iPlayer shows because right now I can I can't listen to anything remotely related. I just get far too overwhelmed. I'll be gutted if I don't save them now though and they disappear.

@MetaKate - what a terrible comedown. Hope you get your place sorted. And your friend realises how shitty they've  been. Not a great situation to arrive home to. Sorry to hear you had a bad Fri and Sat too. I couldn't imagine being in the most beautiful place ever and having to deal with that shit.

@MetaKate - thats really shit. It Makes my "issues" look trivial. I hope you get everything sorted.

Im back to work tomorrow. My post festival blues have gone from a 9 to a 10 this evening.

I have a trip to the cricket on saturday & tuesday to look forward to, then I have boomtown in August. Thats what is pulling me through at the minute!

20 hours ago, MetaKate said:

Jesus I'm almost embarrassed to moan about being a bit down after reading what you've had to deal with! Really hope you get some decent luck soon!

I've had enough of feeling like a fucking spaced out vacant idiot. Lethargic, no enthusiasm or get up and go at all. Keep getting light headed dizzy spells.

I'm going to do some very gentle  exercise tomorrow probably go for a swim to see if this helps. 

Fly to Vegas on Sunday so I really need to feel normal for a day or 2 before I head off.

4 hours ago, MetaKate said:

Ive spoken to the tenancy board here and they have basically said Its up to the landlord to break the agreement and I can't do anything except keep paying rent (my lease isnt up until Oct 31). This is honestly so fucked up. 

Hope you get everything sorted! :)

just out out of interest did you just hear of the festival and come over every year from Canada or did you live here at some point and knew of it that way? 

I worked this year on a bar and was amazed at the amount of Australians and kiwis working there! 

10 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Hope you get everything sorted! :)

just out out of interest did you just hear of the festival and come over every year from Canada or did you live here at some point and knew of it that way? 

I worked this year on a bar and was amazed at the amount of Australians and kiwis working there! 

Heard about the festival when I was younger... maybe 2005ish and thought that wasnt even something I could ever go to. Around 2014 started travelling and realizing the world was accessible... tried for tickets in 2015 but failed...really had no idea how tricky it would be and my first glasto was 2016!

1 minute ago, MetaKate said:

Heard about the festival when I was younger... maybe 2005ish and thought that wasnt even something I could ever go to. Around 2014 started travelling and realizing the world was accessible... tried for tickets in 2015 but failed...really had no idea how tricky it would be and my first glasto was 2016!

Nice one :) I did benicassim in Spain in 2007 and Exit in Serbia in 2008 and it was a real effort for both! 

Working on a bar this year I served Americans, Italians, Japanese, Australians, New Zealander’s, South Africans and many more I’ve probably forgotten! 

I don’t see it as post festival blues.

Think of what you saw, heard, ate and drank. Think of all the people who you had a laugh with, it’s the one chance a year where you are surrounded by like minded people who realise how lucky they are.

This year was brilliant for these things and if you were there just be thankful.

No need to be down, already 2% nearer next one

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

@MetaKate - thats really shit. It Makes my "issues" look trivial. I hope you get everything sorted.

Im back to work tomorrow. My post festival blues have gone from a 9 to a 10 this evening.

I have a trip to the cricket on saturday & tuesday to look forward to, then I have boomtown in August. Thats what is pulling me through at the minute!

Yes lots of little events can help. We went to see Janelle Monae last night, have a theatre trip to Book Of Mormon next week and a meal out for my birthday. Also, might nip into Manchester for some of the free gigs for Manchester International Festival.