Overheards and funnies

alibear

On 7/5/2019 at 12:26 AM, MrZigster said:

From an (I'd guess at) mid thirties woman (i.e. not a child):

"There's seagulls here! Why are there seagulls here? We're nowhere near the sea."

Wrong on at least a couple of levels. And, where in the UK don't you get gulls? I want to retire there. They're a 'kin pest 'round our way.

Made me giggle anyway.

I’ve heard exactly the same at Silver Hayes when they were emptying bins and a flock of seagulls descended ???

Here's one my mate did in 2017, about which, if he's taking the piss out of me for something I like to remind him.

Foo Fighters are headlining.

Taylor Hawkins comes to the front to sing Under Pressure (IIRC).

Dave Grohl takes to the drum kit.

After a minute or so...

Mate: He's not only a good guitarist, he's pretty bloody good on the drums too.

Me (casually, for emphasis): He was the drummer in Nirvana, dude.

Mate: Arrrrrrgh FUCK!!!

I've just remembered another one near to Strummerville

Girl 1: " ah look at that bloke having the time of his life on that trampoline"

Girl 2: "yeah he looks like hes having a great time"

Girl 1: " ah FFS he's got his cock out, that's the nudist colony"

Girl 2: " I thought he was happy to see you mind" 

Me: tenor-23.gif.ceb0c8820ca03e25c35403d65fd2cfd8.gif

2 hours ago, Doug85 said:

I've just remembered another one near to Strummerville

Girl 1: " ah look at that bloke having the time of his life on that trampoline"

Girl 2: "yeah he looks like hes having a great time"

Girl 1: " ah FFS he's got his cock out, that's the nudist colony"

Girl 2: " I thought he was happy to see you mind" 

Me: tenor-23.gif.ceb0c8820ca03e25c35403d65fd2cfd8.gif

@sime looks like you didn’t go unnoticed ?

Without fail every year at least one person ridicules the fact that I am carrying a bag of ice with tins of cider in it. Normally someone will say there is something leaking from the bag and I will explain that its just the ice melting. They then usually whisper to a friend "that guy is carrying round ice in that bag", and much giggling ensues. I'm not sure if they think I am trying in vain to keep the ice alive for the duration of the festival but they often seem surprised that the tins are cold when I offer them one. "OMG THEYRE FREEZING!!" 

1 minute ago, gherkin8r said:

Without fail every year at least one person ridicules the fact that I am carrying a bag of ice with tins of cider in it. Normally someone will say there is something leaking from the bag and I will explain that its just the ice melting. They then usually whisper to a friend "that guy is carrying round ice in that bag", and much giggling ensues. I'm not sure if they think I am trying in vain to keep the ice alive for the duration of the festival but they often seem surprised that the tins are cold when I offer them one. "OMG THEYRE FREEZING!!" 

Well if I get tickets next year and Co-op is still selling ice, I'll be defo bringing a small cooler bag filled with ice each day to keep the tins cold for sure :) 

1 minute ago, shoptildrop said:

Well if I get tickets next year and Co-op is still selling ice, I'll be defo bringing a small cooler bag filled with ice each day to keep the tins cold for sure :) 

Do you know how much the Co op were selling bags of ice for? 

4 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

Do you know how much the Co op were selling bags of ice for? 

I wasn't there this year but from what I have seen on here they were £2.50 but went up to a fiver on the hot Saturday - supply and demand I suppose??

I freeze all my capri suns, smoothies and water in my cooler bag to keep beers cool but don't carry all that around - it does keep cans cold for most of the festival though :) 

Edited by shoptildrop

1 minute ago, shoptildrop said:

I wasn't there this year but from what I have seen on here they were £2.50 but went up to a fiver on the hot Saturday - supply and demand I suppose??

There were a few places doing it for a fiver but almost all sold out by the end of the afternoon every day. Just saw this question answered in another thread. Also great in the heat for dipping your hat in as some people by the lockups found to their absolute delight on the saturday when I let them have a go. 

On 7/1/2019 at 7:02 PM, Madyaker said:

Did anyone see the mad fella that was going around shouting about how the cops better stay from him? I passed him near the bandstand and then a few hours later on the ground with 4 coppers sitting on him! Dope.

YES, I saw him walking past the Kids field/ Bakers and into the Acoustic filed shouting "plain clothed police officers, do not come close or invade my space" over and over again. He was quite aggressive and loud and he was obviously completely off his head and a tad paranoid to say the least so I felt a bit sorry for him. I followed him for a bit to make sure he was ok but I lost him as he disappeared into the distance back down towards Tony Benn tower.

My daughter and her friend were camped in front of a couple of reclusive Somerset oddballs, completely unfriendly and ominously silent most of the time, until one morning they overheard a conversation:

"You won't believe what I saw last night"

"What was that?"

" I was at the water tap and there was a woman there washing out 'er minge!"

It has unfortunately  become the quote of the festival. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Skelts said:

@sime looks like you didn’t go unnoticed ?

Ha! Might have been me. Although I saw a few people using it the day I was up there! Nude trampolining. Great fun!

16 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

Probably one of the quicker ways to get yourself arrested id say

I wasn't a bit surprised when I saw him on the ground with 4 coppers sitting on him

without a doubt. Must say though as he marched and shouted past the kids field I saw him look up at the huge Kids Field sign and for a spit second it looked like he made an instant decision not to enter, almost as if he was completely aware of his surroundings. T&C walkabout performer? Bloody good effort if so, even to the point of being jumped on and arrested by the old bill!! lol

Edited by Cooter

16 hours ago, Cooter said:

without a doubt. Must say though as he marched and shouted past the kids field I saw him look up at the huge Kids Field sign and for a spit second it looked like he made an instant decision not to enter, almost as if he was completely aware of his surroundings. T&C walkabout performer? Bloody good effort if so, even to the point of being jumped on and arrested by the old bill!! lol

I saw him interrupt a performance on the Thursday afternoon. At the mini-stage near the front  of the circus tent - must admit I assumed he was a performer to start with, he was yelling "stop the show, stop the show" from about 30 meters away before getting onto the stage to say his undercover cop piece into the microphone before he wondered off.

Favorite overheard was up at Strummerville, a younger lad (late teens/early 20s) asking me if Joe Strummer was the drummer in Slipknot. Everything in me regrets not saying yes.

On 7/8/2019 at 11:42 AM, Jay89 said:

I’ve heard exactly the same at Silver Hayes when they were emptying bins and a flock of seagulls descended ???

Yeah, I'd heard they were making a comeback. Must have been trying to sneak onto one of the stages ???

Edited by HalfAnIdiot

At the end of one gig (I forgot which one), one guy came to me and said

- You're not that tall !! (for the record, I'm 6'7")

- Me (confused) : oh yeah... sure... hum... you're absolutely right !

- Sorry mate, I just wanted to say something that you're not used to hear

That was lovely ! ?

• Upvote 2

The guy by himself who stood behind me at Stormzy who was shouting so many lovely things about the set, but in a blink of an eye went apeshit at the roaming vodka jelly lady. From what I could tell he was absolutely livid at her pricing structure. He eventually stormed off, mid-set, incensed that she’d try to “play” him.