2019 Glasto Game Changer Awards...

Grateful Ghoul

29 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

What were the queues like in there? 

Big queues to get in but it always moved very quick, never more than a 10 minute wait to get in when I went and always walked straight to the till aswell barely any queueing there, coop smashed it I thought

I loved the co-op bags too (although as a volunteer I didn’t get one)

The slogan ‘If not you, who? If not now, when?’ was in all our faces all weekend & that’s brilliant!

The surprise game changer for me this weekend was the young grime artists bringing Glastonbury’s political conscience back to the front & centre. The music itself isn’t really my thing but I ended up at a few sets that really impressed me with the messages about plastic, mental health, & government exploitation that they were bringing to a young audience who share these values. It made for an uplifting Glastonbury for me.

• Like 1

Bringing and drinking refillable water bottle(s) to festivals. Buying plastic bottles of water is something that I had been guilty of I'm the past but just unassuming and unaware of the impact.

The festivals hard take on plastic has completely changed my mentality on that.

Total game changer.

• Like 3

Loved the water points, filled up most times we saw one, queue depending. 

Co op was great, was camped 2 minutes from it and literally didn't haven't to queue once, used it every morning for fruit and bags of ice. Also very impressed they managed to have ice every morning. Kept my cool box ice cold all weekend. Staff were also great. 

• Like 1

It felt like some of the access paths onto and off of the old railway track especially at the back of the other stage had been engineered to be less steep.

Camped near the very near Co-op crew - very organised set-up for them. Felt very surreal walking into a supermarket at a festival and had a chuckle to myself as to how spot on they got their target market. Breakfast stuff, bakery goods & munchies and ice! Though the ice seemed reasonably priced. Hopefully everyone refilling their bottles saves quite a bit of cash. 

8 minutes ago, ICGenie said:

I walked nearly 50 miles over the festival and I still have no idea where the Co-op was!  Where was it?

At the end of the old way track past the the other stage (west of the site) next to Park Home Ground medical/lock ups.

It was branded 31 Toad (Lane or Street) rather than the Co-op (the address of the first co-op store) - huge marquee which you couldn’t miss! 

+1 for the water kiosks. Brilliant. Wish I'd used them more of the Friday. 

Changes to SEC (and possibly more room in Pangea) seemed to result in (reports of) smaller queues? I wasn't down there, spending my nights at the Park, but didn't hear many complaints. 

Just now, Another eforum account said:

At the end of the old way track past the the other stage (west of the site) next to Park Home Ground medical/lock ups.

It was branded 31 Toad (Lane or Street) rather than the Co-op (the address of the first co-op store) - huge marquee which you couldn’t miss! 

Ah, never walked further than Arcadia down the Railway Track!

• Like 1

The coop was a huge game changer. Plus the best supermarket shopping experience I’ve ever had. No folk stopping suddenly , no queues at the till. Just folk flying through grabbing stuff as they go. Same prices as back in the real world too. I had bacon butties every day and my drinks were cold throughout. Superb!

I think the fact they were more public about late night options other than SEC in the lead up and in the programme. Everywhere felt busy, but not as crammed into a single spot as before. Made all of them more enjoyable for me.

Also, the water stations. Great idea.

Stormzy. 

I hope this now finally lays to rest the nonsense that hip hop has no place at Glastonbury. Jay-Z was retrospectively accepted but the backlash over Kanye was pathetic and even though a lot of that was for the artist rather than the genre, it still left a nasty taste when it comes to hip hop being front and centre. Stormzy absolutely smashed it and I think anyone who moans about the genre now is going to look old fashioned and silly. 

I'm real pleased for the lad and would have loved to have been there, had Friday not had so many choices.  He deserved to turn up and make it an event and by all accounts that's just what he did.  Fantastic for him, fantastic for the festival, fantastic for the genre.  More of that and less heritage artists please and thank you.

22 hours ago, Divein said:

My black out tent. 

This. Get a Quechua Fresh and Black, people. They're amazing. In a few years time I'm sure they'll be the norm and we'll all reminisce about how hot it used to be in those old-fashioned colourful tents and the irritating rattle of space blankets...