Media reports about litter

rivalschools.price

For people peeing on the ground, I rarely saw it this year. Worse of it was at the fireworks, toilets are a trek and they kept people waiting way too long to start it.

If they could get even just a few more portaloos up there it would make a difference, not even on that field but maybes top end of the Park.

People were sat drinking for hours and not wanting to go to the toilet in case of missing them and this ended up against the fence.

I walked down to the Park for a pee and got back up there which took about 20-30 mins and the fireworks still didn't start till about half hour later, if people knew that they probably would have went as well.

There's a few odd spots where people are miles away from.toilets that could be plugged up to end most of that but overall it was way less I saw this that 2017.

5 hours ago, Glastorob said:

It is possible to pour a pint without having to put the nozzle in the glass especially rough cider straight from a barrel.  

It is, I got beer last time in my mug direct from Tricketts bar, but I've noticed square trays of filling taps at other bars this time which mean the dispensing is automated and no longer needs a human to pour booze. And as parsonjack mentioned, the pressure to serve the masses means they won't add things that contribute to delays.

4 hours ago, parsonjack said:

I dare say....but in a pressured environment with 10 deep at the bar it can't be guaranteed.

Edited by carlosj

18 hours ago, Another eforum account said:

Out if interest any naturalists know about the seagul flocks? I spent ages watching them swoop and swirl on Sunday as they made attempts to pick up food in the campsite areas - they must obviously migrate across for the festival (as we don’t really have seagull populations in the countryside - know Bath for example has a big population) but how do they know to fly over and what happens in the fallow year - do they just try their luck? Really intrigued and wonder if anyone has studied it!

We've been joking all weekend that they must have a WhatsApp group... :)

10 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

We've been joking all weekend that they must have a WhatsApp group... :)

Brilliant! Someone I know said there’s a flock nearby as they’ve been pushed inland - maybe they nest in the nearby quarries and notice the cars on the road during a festival year ?

oh man dont get me started on the tabloids, on monday morning my friends asked why there were helicopters circling and i joked that it was probably the sun and mail getting pictures of the rubbish so they could type a headlne along the lines of "HYPOCRITICAL VEGAN HIPPIES LEAVE GLASTONBURY A TIP" little did i know how on the nose i would be!

uninformed sheep on their comments page too ranting about the plastic ban and how we should all be ashamed while not knowing there wasnt a ban on all plastic just the sale of it on site! f*cking idiots!! 

my wife is a little picker and she said the lack of plastic made their job 100 times easier, they work from 6am till 12pm and they had finished by 9/10am every morning this year, cans and paper cups flatten easier aswell unlike the 500ml bottles so a lot less waste when it came to filling up bin bags too.

The Sun and Mail are miserable, right wing shitrags that love to denigrate anything remotely relating to environmental awareness or people having a good time. It's all designed to manipulate the gullible thickos in their readership.

They love to bemoan our "loss of culture" but seem to hate and rage against absolutely every aspect of it, constantly shitting on people, whether it's football fans, grand national attendees, music festivals plus the general hate musicians, actors get and the arts in general. 

Edited by Casper86
  • Upvote 1

Yes there was a lot less litter on the Pyramid field. And what there is is easy to pick up. I don't mind the cans and the cups - it is really quick.

What is the biggest pita are fag butts, vodka jelly tubs (non recyclable) and fag filter packets - please could people think a bit more about what to do with these rather than drop them.

We walked through Big Ground at the end of yesterdays pick and bits of it were bad enough to reduce me to tears so we still have some way to go. 

Everyone's moaning about the litter - but I've got one major moan that no-ones really gone on about.

Why are they using confetti cannons spewing tissue paper all over the crowd - it was all over the place, no need for them at all.

1 minute ago, Penrhos said:

Everyone's moaning about the litter - but I've got one major moan that no-ones really gone on about.

Why are they using confetti cannons spewing tissue paper all over the crowd - it was all over the place, no need for them at all.

At a guess, it was biodegradable paper that will dissolve with one day of rain. 

33 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

Yes there was a lot less litter on the Pyramid field. And what there is is easy to pick up. I don't mind the cans and the cups - it is really quick.

What is the biggest pita are fag butts, vodka jelly tubs (non recyclable) and fag filter packets - please could people think a bit more about what to do with these rather than drop them.

We walked through Big Ground at the end of yesterdays pick and bits of it were bad enough to reduce me to tears so we still have some way to go. 

Smokers in the real world also seem to think it's OK for them to litter with impunity. 

21 hours ago, Another eforum account said:

Out if interest any naturalists know about the seagul flocks? I spent ages watching them swoop and swirl on Sunday as they made attempts to pick up food in the campsite areas - they must obviously migrate across for the festival (as we don’t really have seagull populations in the countryside - know Bath for example has a big population) but how do they know to fly over and what happens in the fallow year - do they just try their luck? Really intrigued and wonder if anyone has studied it!

At the risk of getting pedantic, most gulls (there is no such bird as a seagull) live inland. They are scavengers and are normally found on farmland and rubbish tips or in towns and cities where they easily find plenty to eat from what the human race has chucked away. I'm not an expert but I suspect that they have learnt that there are easy pickings where we gather in large numbers.

1 minute ago, gratefulbread said:

Been arguing with Brexit types on Facebook all day about the litter and plastic. They just love to moan about anything that is good and positive. I'll happily give it them back, the mugs. 

Funny how the ones who are “Britain First” are the same ones ruining it. 

12 minutes ago, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

Smokers in the real world also seem to think it's OK for them to litter with impunity. 

There was mention of filter tip packs.  Don't buy those packs with plastic strips of 6 or so filters, bull brand eco filter tips are biodegradable (still don't drop them though).  I decant enough for the festival into a smint tin and use that for convenient supply.

https://www.bullbrand.co.uk/products/bull-brand-slim-eco

5 minutes ago, jparx said:

Funny how the ones who are “Britain First” are the same ones ruining it. 

One of them, who had the Brexit party logo as their profile picture, kept asking me to look up pictures of the festival online. I explained I've just come back from 5 days there and was able to see the difference between this year and previous years with my own eyes and he offered to meet face to face to "discuss" it. Imagine being that worked up about something you have no part in that you will offer to have a fight over it. 

There's always going to be substantial litter, that's the cost of having big crowds unfortunately.  Over 5 days if every person dropped one piece of litter per day, that's around 1 million pieces of litter that need picked up.  People generally try their best, but I can understand if somebody's in the middle of a crowd and they drop an empty drinks cup.  Keep in mind that a lot of people aren't always thinking straight at Glastonbury too.

It can always be better, but I'm usually impressed with how aware most at Glasto are about looking after the area (certainly in comparison with most large gigs).  If everyone was really trashing the place and dropping everything where they stood, the place would be a landfill by the time the first band took to the stage on Friday morning.

I've just seen post by Glastonbury that 99.3% of tents were taken home - from people who went how true do you think this is?

As this pic is with comments and if that's how all the campsites are looking then that's brilliant, but the cynic in me thinks whilst some fields obviously great it not like this all across each campsite..... 161920816_Cleancamp.jpg.b1377957b2adff5c257b9e6fdc70cb5b.jpg

14 minutes ago, gratefulbread said:

One of them, who had the Brexit party logo as their profile picture, kept asking me to look up pictures of the festival online. I explained I've just come back from 5 days there and was able to see the difference between this year and previous years with my own eyes and he offered to meet face to face to "discuss" it. Imagine being that worked up about something you have no part in that you will offer to have a fight over it. 

Christ. I avoid Facebook at all costs now. It’s a total pit. 

25 minutes ago, Losing my hair said:

At the risk of getting pedantic, most gulls (there is no such bird as a seagull) live inland. They are scavengers and are normally found on farmland and rubbish tips or in towns and cities where they easily find plenty to eat from what the human race has chucked away. I'm not an expert but I suspect that they have learnt that there are easy pickings where we gather in large numbers.

Pendant away! Found it fascinating to watch and intrigued in the relationship between humans & wild birds

15 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

I've just seen post by Glastonbury that 99.3% of tents were taken home - from people who went how true do you think this is?

As this pic is with comments and if that's how all the campsites are looking then that's brilliant, but the cynic in me thinks whilst some fields obviously great it not like this all across each campsite..... 161920816_Cleancamp.jpg.b1377957b2adff5c257b9e6fdc70cb5b.jpg

The webcam would suggest it’s not all like that but it IS a lot better than previous years 

23 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

It's a lot better this year however this was this morning 

20190701_181639.jpg

Saturday and sunday shifts on the Pyramid were not too bad really. Overflowing bins show that people were at least trying to use the bins so that's a huge difference from other years. Fantastic efforts from some even trying to bag up their rubbish however they need to be separated into different bins, the festival can promote this going forward though and it will get better (weather dependant of course). The monday was the worst but mainly cos people dont need stuff anymore and dont take it home which is a shame however I wouldn't have an issue if they at least tried to bin it rather than leaving if in the middle of a field