Media reports about litter

rivalschools.price

Re: reusable cups. I’m pretty sure health & safety won’t let bars pour a pint into a used cup (transmission of infection etc.) which is why most will just pour a pre-poured drink in.

The reusable plastic cups has been discussed before, and I believe the problem was washing the cups between uses and the amount of water needed on site. Imagine sharing your drinking water supply with cup washing in this year’s heat.

Me and a mate commented on how little litter there was around the place this year. I always put everything in the bin anyway but I think it’s a snowball thing, if the ground is covered in litter people won’t think twice about chucking it on the ground. As already stated toilet paper like the Daily Mail are just looking for negatives about the festival, it’s just frustrating they can get away with portraying an image that just isn’t true. 

There are definitely charity collections. I think they stopped making a big thing about it as there are enough tents left anyway. There’s a big sale in Hayle each year of tents collected after Glastonbury. It’s at the rugby club, not sure if the charity is scouts/Hayle RFC/Shelter/Cornwall Air Ambulance, all of the above or none of the above, but the sale happens and the tents come from G.

Pre-erected - when WV was launched ME said in an interview he anticipated the majority of accommodation being like this in X years. I can’t remember what X was. However, he did confirm that in the year that corresponds to WV+X it would be “the best Glastonbury ever” ??

whilst the campsites were better, there was still too many areas were people couldn't be bothered to tidy their area.

wonder if it would be possible to allow people/groups to be fined for having an untidy area ? (am not talking about the people whop have a few can's but always tidy the area in the morning) but the people who are happy to not chuck one can in the bin/recycle.

should be litter patrol who issue a clean up or get fined notice.

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

probably not viable due to group sizes etc - say you have a group like ours which was two couples and two opposite sex singles it'd be a logistical nightmare! 

Maybe not then, but there must be a solution, because relying on people to do the right thing isn’t working. 

Apparently at Burning Man you rent a plot of land that you stay on, it’s inspected when you leave and if there’s any rubbish/mess you lose your chance of a ticket next time. 

Again it’s maybe not fully workable at Glasto, but there are solutions out there. 

Friend went to bar and asked them to pour direct into their measured metal pint cup. Bar refused and gave it to them in the cardboard cup. Assumption is it’s due to advertising - guessing Mallets pay a lot for people to see their brand on the cups.

i think the weather influenced how clean the site is this year. Tents will genuinely remain in a decent conditions and few ruined due to mud/rain.

2 minutes ago, Glastorob said:

Friend went to bar and asked them to pour direct into their measured metal pint cup. Bar refused and gave it to them in the cardboard cup. Assumption is it’s due to advertising - guessing Mallets pay a lot for people to see their brand on the cups.

No...it's due to the mouth-cup-tap-cup-mouth infection transmission risk.  That's why originally the metal cup scheme was going to be on an exchange basis...with a new clean one every time. 

11 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

No...it's due to the mouth-cup-tap-cup-mouth infection transmission risk.  That's why originally the metal cup scheme was going to be on an exchange basis...with a new clean one every time. 

It is possible to pour a pint without having to put the nozzle in the glass especially rough cider straight from a barrel.  

Saw a load of mums on Facebook fuming about the litter and trying to shame people. I thought it was loads better than previous years.

In many cases I don’t believe they are offended on behalf of the farm either, I think they’re often offended because they don’t like mess. It almost makes me long for a couple of washout years to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Festivals are by nature messy, dirty and glorious. We do our best to minimise impact but I would guess that the absolute minimal impact would be no festival at all.

Good that there were more urinals this year but didn’t see Female urinals as i have in previous years for the Lasses with shewees? And the queues for the stalls were wild. Could be more done here. There is a clear trade off between hedonism and leaving no trace, if people have a bladder full of booze, they aren’t gonna be minded to wait 15 minutes for a slash.

The message is right but if someone is more or less compliant, good enough. A dropped paper cup in a mosh pit or the odd unavoidable urgent pee is surely excusable.

The press and the kind of people who go mad on social media are not sound of mind. They should not be listened to.

6 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

I did ask about this as I was using a steel cup and one of bar staff told me that if they pour straight into a steel cup they re-use the cup as no one has drunk from it.

No idea if this is enforced throughout the site and I must admit to doubts whether this happens but that’s what she told me.

I was working on a bar this year and that was what I was doing but some of my co-workers just threw them into the recycling bags,  none of the managers gave us any instruction as what to do when someone gave us a reusable cup so lots of people just poured and threw the paper one away.

There's always going to be litter but the main thing is to try and limit it as much as possible then the litter pickers will.do the rest.

You don't see a lot on the smaller stages but on the main one, mainly Pyramid and Other then you have people who are there for hours whilst inebriated and a long trek to bins so beer cans and cups just get dropped. Hard to combat that because you can make the bins nearer, though you could put more around the surrounding areas but whatever you do people are still gonna drop them, especially once they can a drink/drugs etc 

They should start doing the thing where they encourage people to do five mins litter picking between sets, would make a big difference on top of what is.

I feel you can't really make a statement on the litter till the festivals over and how well/quickly the clean up takes. 

I thought it was a lot better than the last few years, visible difference at most stages. 

I think the lack of mud helps as well, if we had a few cans whilst watching a band we would put them on the floor and then pick them all up when leaving to put in the bin. We would still do something similar in muddy years, but if people are bevvied up then it is easier for them to leave mud covered cans on the floor than pick them up and bin them. 

Edit - not suggesting this is ok, just that people are more likely to do things if it's easy.

Edited by Laurenkfj

@mattiloy there where loads of shee-wees this year; herris fencing covered in black sheeting most often right next to the blue men’s urinals - they weren’t necessarily overly obvious if you weren’t looking for them but I noticed them in more locations than in the past i.e on the railway next to the green fields etc (they didn’t take up a very big footprint).

I too noticed much less litter - and it was nice not to have that distinctive crunch of plastic under foot. 

The reusable water bottles sold out relatively quickly - people must have saved quite a bit of money from refilling rather than buying bottled water and hopefully it’s a habit people will take home with them - which will have a ripple affect after the festival.

I presume it will be a lot easier for the recycling centre on-site to process the waste with fewer material streams to segregate and aluminium obviously has a much easier route and higher value for recycling with capture/reprocessing easier to do to make into new materials. 

Also with the co-op on-site and reasonably priced maybe it will start preventing people over purchasing food; lugging it in and abandoning it.

Out if interest any naturalists know about the seagul flocks? I spent ages watching them swoop and swirl on Sunday as they made attempts to pick up food in the campsite areas - they must obviously migrate across for the festival (as we don’t really have seagull populations in the countryside - know Bath for example has a big population) but how do they know to fly over and what happens in the fallow year - do they just try their luck? Really intrigued and wonder if anyone has studied it!

The campsites looked at lot better this year. I did mutter under my breath a few times at the Pyramid and Park though; people blatantly dropping litter/ leaving it because they could/ “it’s what the litter pockets are for”. A couple in front of us in the Park left when Foals ended; they actually looked at the mess they left and started to walk away until I said something. If you can carry it up full, you can carry it down empty. 

I did notice the constant overflow of bins- means people are trying! 

Edited by AiiShotTheDJ

Hi All. Cleaning the Pyramid field was definitely quicker this year. Thank you to all of you for not dropping as much litter.

Not twice as quick but 30 to 45 minutes quicker is much appreciated. Hopefully the other fields found the same.  

Overflowing bins are a good thing, showing that people have made an effort to keep the field clean. It’s easier to fill bags from piles of cans or piles of paper cups so please keep separating even if the bin is full. 

Huge difference in terms of plastic  really impressed how quickly this message has got across  Picked up a handful of bottles each day this really cuts down on the volume of the waste as well. It’s much more satisfying picking up conpostables and recyclable cans than single use plastic.

Need to tackle fag butts though. One of the hardest things to pick up. Maybe a festival branded ash tray container might help. Also please leave the ring pulls on the can. Doh!

The Monday morning pick was maybe similar to last year. Perhaps because of the size of the crowds and people being more static than on other days. 

A quick look at Big Ground and it did seem better. Still some large camps of 4 or 5 tents completely abandoned. Surely if you are on a big group it’s a quick team effort to clear up.

Sorry for the ramble need some sleep. Thanks again for littering less and look forward to even less next year.

Most litter pickers are volunteers working for a charity such as the Bhopal Medical Appeal  thanks 

• Upvote 3

Absolutely standard grumpy-ass clickbait there to play up to the idea anything with any joy or charitable intent is actually just hypocritical rubbish. They did the same for the ER protests, heck the locals here did it when the kids did a climate emergency thing and drew in chalk on the high street - so much whinging, so much dismissing it all snidely as "their mums drove them there" or "bet they dropped litter"

It's just some people have ended up a bit wrong and joyless