Media reports about litter

rivalschools.price

Some great sights of people walking with handfuls of litter to the bins in pyramid ... some not so great signs of the pissers against the walls in the urinals ... unfortunately provoking a rather loud expletive shout at one point when a guy was doing it himself and telling his young son to do it ... 

1 hour ago, jparx said:

Yeah I had the same idea. 

one thing that bothered me was turning up to a bar and offering my steel cup, but they just gave me a pre poured cider instead. I get pre pouring to speed up the queues but I'd rather wait a bit longer and not waste a cup.

Similar thing happened to me. I handed over my metal cup and watched as a pre-filled paper cup was poured into mine and the paper cup thrown away. Mental. 

1 minute ago, Skelts said:

Similar thing happened to me. I handed over my metal cup and watched as a pre-filled paper cup was poured into mine and the paper cup thrown away. Mental. 

I did ask about this as I was using a steel cup and one of bar staff told me that if they pour straight into a steel cup they re-use the cup as no one has drunk from it.

No idea if this is enforced throughout the site and I must admit to doubts whether this happens but that’s what she told me.

One thing that really struck me was the change in the sound of crowds of people walking between stages. After years of hearing plastic bottles being relentlessly crunched underfoot as crowds filtered away at the end of a set, it was immediately noticeable that something significant had changed. 

The litter seemed better this year, to me, for reference here's the Pyramid not long after The Cure... 

PSX_20190701_123612.jpg

Just looking on the webcam the campsites look significantly cleaner this year. 2016 was of course a nightmare year with all sorts of stuff disappearing into the mud but 2017 being largely dry led to stories of the litter pickers being laid off (again nazi press at their "finest")

Fuck em.

Looks like the tidiest year ever but the truth will come when the festival reveals the data for the amount of waste generated.

pennards.JPG

2 hours ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Looking at the reaction from the sofa this year I've realised that some people hate the festival because they just seem to hate everything, they're pointing and shouting hypocrisy at people who have just had a nice weekend enjoying the festival because they can't imagine spending it doing anything other than slagging off Stormzy, The Killers or whoever else. 

There's a mental number of people in this country who are against the idea of people simply having fun and enjoying themselves. The comments under most BBC articles are a joy to behold. 

4 hours ago, gherkin8r said:

The campsites were FAR better for litter this year than any other year I remember 

Whole place was.  Cleanest Glastonbury since '99 for me, whole festival reminded me of that year really.

Of course the haters are going to spin it, they are going to use whatever angle they can to persuade people that it is a terrible place and that the people who attend are morons.

1 minute ago, Chinaski_ said:

There's a mental number of people in this country who are against the idea of people simply having fun and enjoying themselves. The comments under most BBC articles are a joy to behold. 

I always knew there were grumpy old gits about who moan about everything, but the pure level of vitriol this year has been quite astonishing. 

Edited by Alex DeLarge
typo

2 hours ago, jparx said:

Yeah I had the same idea. 

one thing that bothered me was turning up to a bar and offering my steel cup, but they just gave me a pre poured cider instead. I get pre pouring to speed up the queues but I'd rather wait a bit longer and not waste a cup.

According to the Glasto Twitter page the reason they do this is because the metal cups are a slightly different size to the paper ones and under the weights and measures act they aren't allowed to pour directly into the metal cup as it wouldn't be a full pint and that can affect their licence in the future or something like that. I'm sure someone who actually works at a bar will be able to give a better explaination.

You would have thought that they would have thought of that when they designed the metal cups...

How viable is it putting some more bins around the back at the Pyramid where it's (usually) more spacious - I think a lot of people just put it on the floor out of laziness, which I know is no excuse but an odd extra bin or two would surely help rather than just on the outer edges? This year was a definite improvement though, and it was nice to see hardly any plastic bottles on the floor.

3 minutes ago, Chewie said:

According to the Glasto Twitter page the reason they do this is because the metal cups are a slightly different size to the paper ones and under the weights and measures act they aren't allowed to pour directly into the metal cup as it wouldn't be a full pint and that can affect their licence in the future or something like that. I'm sure someone who actually works at a bar will be able to give a better explaination.

You would have thought that they would have thought of that when they designed the metal cups...

Ah that will explain it then. I did notice when pouring in to the steel cup that you always had a bit left in the paper cup. But yeah, design the steel ones to be a bit bigger?! 

Having said all that, I did notice the uptake in steel cups and the water bottles was much higher than 2017. I was VERY impressed with the number of reusable cups and bottles being used by everyone. Still a long way to go but it felt like a really significant step forward this year. Interested to see if the waste data reflects that.

one of the "best shots" on the webcam is 2016 Tuesday. even this afternoon looks significantly better than that. Sadly the comments on the facebook Glastonbury chat are continuing the push the idea that they get given to charity / scout groups / auctioned off. :banghead:

14 minutes ago, Jne___ said:

one of the "best shots" on the webcam is 2016 Tuesday. even this afternoon looks significantly better than that. Sadly the comments on the facebook Glastonbury chat are continuing the push the idea that they get given to charity / scout groups / auctioned off. :banghead:

A campsite steward tried to stop me from packing up my own tent as for some reason he thought it wasn’t mine. People had been going around taking nice tents that others had left and campsite stewards (in rivermead at least) were stopping this and the reason this guy gave me was that all the tents get collected by ten different charities.

6 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

A campsite steward tried to stop me from packing up my own tent as for some reason he thought it wasn’t mine. People had been going around taking nice tents that others had left and campsite stewards (in rivermead at least) were stopping this and the reason this guy gave me was that all the tents get collected by ten different charities.

well now I don't know what to think!

3 hours ago, Jne___ said:

At download, oxfam gave you £2 for each reusable cup you returned to them. I wasn’t there but my boyfriend was and he made about £80 on the Sunday without really trying. 

The tent issue is the worst. Can’t imagine that attitude (I bought my tent when I won a whole entire £50 in the premium bonds when I was 10 years old... so instantly went to millets and bought that classique flower tent which, despite its very uncool reputation, is still going strong [im 24 now] ) 

kind of wish they would employ some kind of system that blocks those who leave their tent from trying the following year - although that would be impossible to track. The alternative of giving those who  take theirs a pre sale is obviously unfair on those who didn’t go or have never been. 

One way around it would be for the whole site to be pre-erected camping a la Worthy View.  

It’ll never happen but it would instantly put a stop to tents being left behind. 

2 minutes ago, nikkic said:

One way around it would be for the whole site to be pre-erected camping a la Worthy View.  

It’ll never happen but it would instantly put a stop to tents being left behind. 

true, but would be nice if it made tickets even slightly easier to get :pilot:

Let's do even better next year.  2009 felt like peak litter and it has improved slightly year on year since, but this year...brilliant job folks.  I was at the Pyramid for Lauren Hill and it was the cleanest I had ever seen the field, I couldn't believe it, it was like standing in the green fields rather than a tip.

Some parts of the site were not as great, usual suspects there and I hope that if we can take this example forwards and do an even better job of taking responsibility for the results of our own consumption next year then maybe, just maybe we might have turned a corner and we can put the days of living in landfill behind us forever.

Edited by Spindles

3 minutes ago, nikkic said:

probably not viable due to group sizes etc - say you have a group like ours which was two couples and two opposite sex singles it'd be a logistical nightmare!