Media reports about litter

rivalschools.price

Some negative reports in the media this morning posting pictures of litter and suggesting we’re all hypocrites.

The litter in the pictures doesn’t even look that bad considering how many people have been on site.

Most photos are of bins that have been overfilled, suggesting that we have at least tried to avoid litter.

I would say that it is 80% better than Reading and at least 50% better than Download.

So annoying that the media have gone with such a negative spin on the efforts to reduce plastic.

These reports are usually from publications that aren’t behind the festival’s politics in general and only pay lip service to it’s environmental politics in particular, so they’re more than happy to denigrate the festival and those that attend. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

35 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

State of the Pyramid field around Vampire Weekend time was an absolute disgrace though.

It’s nowhere near as bad as Reading, after the band finish at the end of the night there you literally cannot see any green and it’s more than one layer deep in some areas.

I realise that it being worse somewhere else is no excuse for litter but the fact that it is a huge reduction on festivals and events of a similar size is definitely progress.

The Daily Fail will always have their agenda and spin it as much as they can. As long as people clean after themselves and take their tents back with them, then that's fine. There will be volunteers who are there to help clean it up anyway. 

I do think these news stories are a little OTT. After all, all the litter will get picked up, and part of the ticket purchase goes to covering it. That doesn't excuse those that drop it, but it does highlight that the organisers have made preparations for this event. In 3 weeks the site will be back to lush green fields, yet these same papers will never show this great effort at cleanup.

I also think that dealing with litter while the festival is on becomes a problem. There are only so many bins, and once they are full, getting trucks to them to empty is not easy.

3 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

It’s definitely better this year. Much less plastic on the floor, so a step in the right direction.

Miles better. I spoke to some litter pickers who said it was twice as fast as previous years to clear the pyramid field. That sounds extreme to me, I'd be interested in the views from the regular litter pickers on here.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ScarletBlaster said:

First year this year, couldn't believe how many people were leaving rubbish on the floor given the pledge you agree to when buying a ticket...

I think that's just a society issue. How much rubbish do you see on the streets? People don't seem to have much respect for their surroundings. 

10 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

I think that's just a society issue. How much rubbish do you see on the streets? People don't seem to have much respect for their surroundings. 

Exactly, you only need a few dozen people at a beach or park and there’s litter so to expect none in a 180000 crowd is a stretch.

The amount of litter at almost every stage was a disgrace. 

Got to the point where I was asking people why they were leaving their litter behind when they stood up and started to leave the spot they were in. That's really not like me but it really wound me up this year. 

18 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

Exactly, you only need a few dozen people at a beach or park and there’s litter so to expect none in a 180000 crowd is a stretch.

It just gives them a chance to push their usual "lefty hypocrites" agenda, but anyone who litters obviously isn't an environmentalist.

At download, oxfam gave you £2 for each reusable cup you returned to them. I wasn’t there but my boyfriend was and he made about £80 on the Sunday without really trying. 

The tent issue is the worst. Can’t imagine that attitude (I bought my tent when I won a whole entire £50 in the premium bonds when I was 10 years old... so instantly went to millets and bought that classique flower tent which, despite its very uncool reputation, is still going strong [im 24 now] ) 

kind of wish they would employ some kind of system that blocks those who leave their tent from trying the following year - although that would be impossible to track. The alternative of giving those who  take theirs a pre sale is obviously unfair on those who didn’t go or have never been. 

14 minutes ago, rzwodezwo said:

I've been thinking about this the whole weekend. Why not give everyone a metal cup for the fest and charge 1£ extra for drinks if you need a paper cup? 

And yeah don’t know if you’ve ever been to green man but they have a system just like that and have done for years! Don’t know why glasto don’t do the same, maybe it’s to do with the amount of independent traders  

Edited by Jne___

42 minutes ago, rzwodezwo said:

I've been thinking about this the whole weekend. Why not give everyone a metal cup for the fest and charge 1£ extra for drinks if you need a paper cup? 

Yeah I had the same idea. 

one thing that bothered me was turning up to a bar and offering my steel cup, but they just gave me a pre poured cider instead. I get pre pouring to speed up the queues but I'd rather wait a bit longer and not waste a cup.

Looking at the reaction from the sofa this year I've realised that some people hate the festival because they just seem to hate everything, they're pointing and shouting hypocrisy at people who have just had a nice weekend enjoying the festival because they can't imagine spending it doing anything other than slagging off Stormzy, The Killers or whoever else. 

• Upvote 1