Your Glastonbury heroes

fionajm777

Having spent yesterday afternoon and last night in the Welfare tent with heat exhaustion I wanted to take a mo to say how amazing the welfare team were and how genuinely appreciative I am. Not just in the way they looked after me (fetching water, ice packs, even making me toast this morning) but also the way they took care of others who I can only describe as broken was incredible. 

Incredible festival.

Who were your festival heroes?

• Upvote 2

Medical staff for me (with mentions to those at the information point).

Slipped in Williams Green as I tried to get out during the Brasstards on Thursday night (not alcohol related either, just some parts of the tent were slippery as fuck), thought I'd done something instantly.  Security guard helped me get out, people in info point gave me somewhere to sit, and looking back, pass out for a little (my wife had tracked me down by this point).

Ambulance to medical center, x-ray, confirmed broken ankle, support boot,  crutches, ambulance back down to Kidney Mead where all my group were staying (at least I got 2 nights in my comfy campervan bed).

All of the people above were lovely, professional and probably stopped me from just crashing at the point (with the help of the Wife and friends).

So not a classic Glastonbury for me sadly, but still enjoyed it the best I could, and 95% of people on site were great.  Off to A&E to get it put in plaster today!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Greenelk said:

Slipped in Williams Green as I tried to get out during the Brasstards on Thursday night (not alcohol related either, just some parts of the tent were slippery as fuck), thought I'd done something instantly.  Security guard helped me get out, people in info point gave me somewhere to sit, and looking back, pass out for a little (my wife had tracked me down by this point).

Ambulance to medical center, x-ray, confirmed broken ankle, support boot,  crutches, ambulance back down to Kidney Mead where all my group were staying (at least I got 2 nights in my comfy campervan bed).

All of the people above were lovely, professional and probably stopped me from just crashing at the point (with the help of the Wife and friends).

So not a classic Glastonbury for me sadly, but still enjoyed it the best I could, and 95% of people on site were great.  Off to A&E to get it put in plaster today!

On behalf of FMS thank you and hope you heal soon.

• Upvote 1

FMS for me too - kept my bio med chilled and couldn’t be more helpful when I needed to sit down and admister it - when clearly I’d arrived at morning rush hour!  I don’t know how hot it must of got in that tent even with some air con but hero’s the lot of them ❤️

• Upvote 1

I volunteer on one of the other info points (we’re all run by one organisation) - I’d say the loo cleaning crews - for actually keeping the toilets comparatively clean in the midst of all the customers.

And the recycling crew (we give them a big cheer when they come through).

In fact I’d say all the staff and volunteers that make the festival possible - it’s incredible how many different charities are supported by the festival and vice versa.

Over the weekend I’ve chatted to stewards, noise protection staff and food health officers, lock-up crew, caterers, police, stage managers, lighting crew and performers - it’s truly staggering the range of people that help make the festival happen. 

Not forgetting the punters and finally the Eavises for making the whole madcap spectacle a thing in the first place. 

Can you tell I’m missing it already!

Edited by Another eforum account

The loo crews. I was onsite from Monday to Monday and only encountered one unusably dirty loo in the whole time (and I pee a LOT! :D ).

Greenelk - I'm sorry about the broken ankle but glad to hear FMS have better processes and equipment to deal with things like that onsite compared to a few years ago. Recover soon!

Edited by pie_and_a_pint
  • Upvote 1

On 7/1/2019 at 8:19 AM, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Chris Martin's tireless cameo appearances. Glastonbury wouldn't be the same without him popping up at every opportunity. 

Aye, he gets on my tits an all

48 minutes ago, jfaragher said:

The guy running the road crossing at the top of muddy lane, with his 'happy/sad face' sign.

I was driving for my volunteer shifts, and his team were absolutely brilliant at keeping that crossing safe for me and the pedestrians

^^^yes he was so smiley and happy all weekend. He had such long shifts too. Definitely made us smile on our morning walk down into the fields.

On 7/1/2019 at 8:19 AM, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Chris Martin's tireless cameo appearances. Glastonbury wouldn't be the same without him popping up at every opportunity. 

I agree. We should have him killed*, stuffed and mounted on a spike. 

*optional

I'd only been queuing for 30 mins on Wednesday when I realised that my tent was no longer attached to my rucksack...

After accepting that I'd be spending the next 5 days sweating in a tent with my mate, I saw a steward carrying my tent to the shelter.

There was an announcement on the tannoy asking if anyone had lost a tent, so I called another steward over and he went straight over to collect it. He then came back with the wrong tent but happily went back to get mine. Didn't catch his name, but what a hero!

All the staff were incredibly helpful all weekend, really made a difference.

8 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

Was it just me or was there loads of people wandering around it busted ankles or foot injuries of some sort?

When I went up to medical centre to get my chilled meds pretty much 90% of people in their had gone over on ankle/twisted. 

2 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

Is that normal and I just never noticed it before? The ground was quite rutted in places where the vehicle mud tracks had dried.

I actually thought that the large stones all over the pathways were really dangerous. Particularly around the SE corner. I’m sure they are useful when it’s wet for grip but seems like an accident waiting to happen when it’s dry! 

On 7/1/2019 at 8:29 AM, Greenelk said:

Hope you make a speedy recovery

• Like 1

For me it was the lady in the park home medical queue on Saturday who calmed me down while I was in the middle of a dehydration-and-heat-induced panic attack and let me go in front of her to be seen. She did tell me her name but in my state I forgot what it was. Something like Susan or Sharon I think. Anyway if you're reading this thank you, you made me so much better. You are my glastonbury angel!