2019 - A vintage year

bombfrog

Put it down to the weather, the genuinely brilliant lineup (despite the naysayers), the fact that it's been 2 years since the last festival, whatever, but that was absolutely fucking brilliant.

For me it was the sublime Tame Impala, Lizzo, the fact that I got into Thursday stuff for the first time (Elvana, wow!), the weather leaving me with energy to do the late night stuff properly (Pangea, Fatboy, Annie Mac etc.), the always dependable Chemical Brothers, seeing Michael Eavis speak for the first time, the joy of watching Kylie nail the legends slot and possibly the fact that I needed it more than ever this year after a shit year personally,

I've had an absolute blast. I hope you did too.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

For me it was hit and miss. I saw some brilliant sets. In particular, Stormzy and Janelle Monae were fantastic. There seemed far fewer dickheads around and in all my travels I only saw one person peeing on the land and precisely nobody peeing up against (but not in) the urinals or against fences. I really hope those values are reflected in people taking home their stuff also. Sunday’s weather was perfect, there was a great atmosphere on site all weekend, and many of the changes were really good. I managed to nail the queueing strategy (6th from the front at PGA!) and when the gate opened, there was Michael Eavis to welcome us in! Lovely stuff  

On the flip side, the weather up until Sunday was so brutal it spoilt my Glastonbury, to an extent. The accumulative effect of four days of baking sun meant that by the busiest day of my itinerary (Sunday), I was broken. My energy had dissipated and I was a hobbling husk of a man. Sets were partially missed, or watched wishing I could participate more. I had a bit of a miserable time with tent neighbours and thought the SE corner (esp  Shangri La) was lacking. That field needs a complete makeover. 

I appreciate that’s subjective and some people will have loved the weather. I did not. I thought the line up was fine - not amazing but not too bad. 

All told, I probably preferred 2017. At this point I always question whether I’ll do it again next year. It’s physically gruelling, financially decimating and I tend to think once every few years might make it more special. But watch me try for tickets in October. 

Edited by kalifire
  • Upvote 2

Just got back. Got back to tent and packed up at 4 and straight out. One of the best for me I think, with managing to see pretty much everything I wanted to and visit everywhere I planned. Weather was remarkable but did take its toil and at one point I did have to sit down as was about to faint, though was all right about 10 mins later. Finally got to meet Michael as well in Avalon.

Edited by Pinhead

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

For me it was hit and miss. I saw some brilliant sets. In particular, Stormzy and Janelle Monae were fantastic. There seemed far fewer dickheads around and in all my travels I only saw one person peeing on the land and precisely nobody peeing up against (but not in) the urinals or against fences. I really hope those values are reflected in people taking home their stuff also. Sunday’s weather was perfect, there was a great atmosphere on site all weekend, and many of the changes were really good. I managed to nail the queueing strategy (6th from the front at PGA!) and when the gate opened, there was Michael Eavis to welcome us in! Lovely stuff  

On the flip side, the weather up until Sunday was so brutal it spoilt my Glastonbury, to an extent. The accumulative effect of four days of baking sun meant that by the busiest day of my itinerary (Sunday), I was broken. My energy had dissipated and I was a hobbling husk of a man. Sets were partially missed, or watched wishing I could participate more. I had a bit of a miserable time with tent neighbours and thought the SE corner (esp  Shangri La) was lacking. That field needs a complete makeover. 

I appreciate that’s subjective and some people will have loved the weather. I did not. I thought the line up was fine - not amazing but not too bad. 

All told, I probably preferred 2017. At this point I always question whether I’ll do it again next year. It’s physically gruelling, financially decimating and I tend to think once every few years might make it more special. But watch me try for tickets in October. 

Summed up my feelings nicely. Didn't enjoy Shangri-la it just felt like some small stages and didn't have it's normal edge.

I also felt the festival was too crowded but the weather may have contributed to that. Was grueling trying to get around in the Saturday heat with all the crowds. So much so we didn't make it to most of the bands we wanted to see. We stayed in West Holts with an umbrella and didn't move for hours.

I have the same feeling about not going next year but at this point I believe it's akin to having a hang over and saying "Im never drinking again". Come October the enthusiasm for Glasto will be strong.

Magnificent, as usual...

Tough going due to the heat, has to be said, but rather these conditions than the mud.

Highlights for me,

Spending a fair bit of time up in the Greenfields esp on Wednesday and Thursday. 

Fontaines DC x 2

Chems

The Cure

Frank Turner x 2 (especially the headline slot)

Doc Brown

The Bar-Stewards ?

An apparently lower than previous dickhead quotient 

The weather was oppressively hot for large chunks and frankly the lineup wasn’t to my tastes (Friday and Sunday nights were both underwhelming) and yet this has been one of the best Glastos I’ve had in years.

The vibe around the place seemed much better than at recent festivals and as mentioned far fewer dickheads about. The lack of killer sets actually worked in my favour as rather than rushing around trying to see everything we were free to take our time, explore and take in parts of the festival we wouldn’t usually. For the first time ever I went up the Ribbon Tower, down the Rabbit Hole and saw Leikkido, Lord of the Lobsters (pinchy pinchy kiss kiss!)

Still saw some good sets too, The Killers were absolutely fantastic. Fontaines DC were incredible and Liam G, Vampire Weekend, Idles and The Vaccines all put on good shows. There were some disappointments - The Cure were boring and I didn’t see the fuss about Kylie’s set (although that might be down to the heat and being stuck right at the very back for it), but they don’t really matter.

I had been feeling that I’m done with Glastonbury and that after the 50th I’ll hang up my wellies for a while, but this weekend has really rekindled my passion and reminded me why I fell in love with the place to begin with.

Fourth in a row for me, I’m not sure anything will beat my first but it was incredible.

It seemed like there was so much more going on everywhere this year and it was so much busier, but I probably think that every year.

Guaranteed I’ll be desperate for tickets come October, it’s a truly incredible place... however I do have these regular nagging doubts that it’s just getting too big and too busy to be able to do anything particularly well.

Naturally a lot of the stuff you want to see clashes in the first instance anyway, and then the commute between certain acts is often just too long and arduous. So I always have this thought that I’m not making the most of it and probably only managing about three main acts a day.

Then you get to the night time stuff and a lot of my friends are knackered and want to go home after a couple of hours (I know that’s not the festivals fault) so you have this thought you’re missing a lot there as well. Then waking home you go past about 100 different random tents where people are having the time of their life.

I’m saying all this yet I still got to IIcon, Arcadia, block 9, NYC Downlow and the rabbit hole after hours.

These are just incoherent ramblings really... I had an incredible time and I love the place, I just feel somehow less fulfilled than any other year I’ve been.

I thought it was absolutely fantastic and my favourite one yet. The weather was a challenge for sure, and we didn't end up making the most of the late night stuff due to just being exhausted from spending a day in the heat, but everything we did and saw was awesome. There wasn't really a dull moment and we were always stumbling on something fun. 

The atmosphere in the crowd was unreal. Being down the front for Ezra, Tame Impala, Lizzo, Sigrid, The Killers and Miley was unbelievable. Just a constant party and everyone felt so determined to have the best time. 

I did miss not making more of the festival post-headliners this year, but I have to say having that bit extra sleep and not stumbling back to my tent at 4am out of my face every night definitely gave us more energy for the day time and allowed us to make the most of everything we did.

I think it will certainly go down as a really memorable year.

I really enjoyed it - nice vibes, some truly great sets. But it’s definitely lost a little edge, seemed to be less of the random joys and spontaneity (Rabbit Hole Wed night aside..). SE corner deffo felt more mainstream. Saturday night was my most sedate ever. Heat meant I consumed far less alcohol than normal, maybe that was the reason. But I hope I’m back next year...

Really didn't feel like a vintage year to me. Nowhere near 2013 and 2017 out of the last ten years. This year I did loo crew for the first time which could have impacted things. I actually quite enjoyed the work itself, but I hate hot weather with a passion and it's a miracle that I didn't get sun stroke. 2010 felt vintage and the weather seemed hotter for that one. 

There were many, many positives for me, especially seeing the festival from a different perspective, although the less said about our coordinator's coordinating skills the better. I had already seen hot chip twice this year, but they were on another level on Saturday night. I was center front row, got a set list after and had a proper cry during flutes while doing the flutes dance. It was something else. 

Craig Charles and GOON day (an annual tradition of mine) was splendid, although I ended up solo for the second half after @tumbles went for some shade and woke up on Sunday afternoon. Elsewhere the festival was just a bit lacking all over for me really. Didn't see anyone on pyramid or other and thought that West holts missed a bit of its swagger this year. 

I have still had an amazing seven days. I don't think that this year is a vintage edition though. 

Janelle Monae and Kylie right out there for me.

I now realize how much difference having a shower can help especially in the heat, having worked obviously I tool advantage. The downside is I thought working does take the edge off of it and can see why some people just wouldn't want to do it. 8 hours turns into 10/11 with time to sleep and get back in mode.

14 minutes ago, sirjonnyp said:

Really didn't feel like a vintage year to me. Nowhere near 2013 and 2017 out of the last ten years. This year I did loo crew for the first time which could have impacted things. I actually quite enjoyed the work itself, but I hate hot weather with a passion and it's a miracle that I didn't get sun stroke. 2010 felt vintage and the weather seemed hotter for that one. 

There were many, many positives for me, especially seeing the festival from a different perspective, although the less said about our coordinator's coordinating skills the better. I had already seen hot chip twice this year, but they were on another level on Saturday night. I was center front row, got a set list after and had a proper cry during flutes while doing the flutes dance. It was something else. 

Craig Charles and GOON day (an annual tradition of mine) was splendid, although I ended up solo for the second half after @tumbles went for some shade and woke up on Sunday afternoon. Elsewhere the festival was just a bit lacking all over for me really. Didn't see anyone on pyramid or other and thought that West holts missed a bit of its swagger this year. 

I have still had an amazing seven days. I don't think that this year is a vintage edition though. 

I’m still asleep in the shade now

8 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

I didn't imagine that then. Good.

Looked after the toilet between silver Hayes and other. Thursday night was dreadful. Too many people for our three man team to try and stop, even had a few lasses taking a dump on the ground at the back of the block. 

4 hours ago, kalifire said:

2017 for me too. I decided a few months ago that this was going to be my last Glastonbury so I wasn't clouded by post festival blues. I've not made it through a whole 5 days for several festivals now without having some serious emotional crashes and spending hours just doing nothing. Decided to give it one more go but this week confirmed my decision. Friday and Saturday days were wiped out for me this year... heat, tiredness and then the vicious circle of getting down about the set's you're missing, etc.

I love the place but find myself enjoying it less each year. The SE Corner at night has become hell on earth for me now. I get that nights of hedonistic excess is exactly what people want but it's lost some of it's quirky fun now. It is just people getting off their tits and raving now, which is fine, each to their own etc, but it gets on my tits more each year. Losing places like Copperdollar and that fun, interactive, showy, cabaret side of things has changed it. IICON visually looks amazing but a 19,000 capacity field for it feels a very significant step change for the late night stuff and with the huge Common area, is committing the area to a proper late night raving festival and pushing out some of the other stuff. I don't blame the Eavii, the demand is there but it feels less like an area to explore now.

I effectively spend my time at Crows Nest, Leftfield and William's Green these days... and I can see those level of acts on their normal local venue tours. 

It's too crowded I guess for me. Even places like the healing fields and craft fields just felt constantly busy and unable to relax. 

Never say never but this was the end for me. Glad I made the decision with a clear mind months ago. The build up just dominates my life in the months leading up, ticket day stress etc to the point there's an overwhelming pressure that you must have fun.

Was great to see some efesters at the meet and I'll miss my camping gang who all met on here. 

We had a great time. My tenth or so since 2002, my partner's first. The weather was brutal as has been discussed. Particularly Friday and Saturday. It did impact on our plans somewhat (such as watching highly anticipated sets on the periphery instead of getting stuck into it in the thick of the crowd). 

Highlights were plentiful for me. MATTIEL wins band of the weekend. So utterly powerful that it had me in tears for the two sets I watched on Greenpeace and on the Park stage. LIZZO also just brilliant, can't wait to watch that back on iPlayer. TAME IMPALA, FATBOY SLIM, MAGIC NUMBERS, IDLES, VAMPIRE WEEKEND, JEFF GOLDBLUM all great fun. We were so fucked from the heat of Saturday that we decided to not bother with Chemical Bros and watched HOT CHIP from the top of the park hill with a box of red wine which was really lovely. Only had the one silly night which was more than enough. 

Don't think we encountered any dick heads which is a first, lots of love and respect on display. Met and had a lovely chat with a man called John who works on the festival most years, and first attended aged 7 with his mum in 1971. He had some amazing stories and it was one of those random moments that makes the experience all the richer. He did mention he goes on the forums occasionally so hello if you're reading. 

Definitely noticed more chiseled waxed chested fitness enthusiasts this year over any other. Going to have to work on my muscles for next year. 

Food was great, I'll write about that in the food thread when I can remember everything I tried. 

Oh, shout out to the cocktail van in T&C for the best bloody Mary on site. 

I can't think of anything else right now. About to drive home to Newcastle. Tata 

I think I did overall enjoy myself, and just need to come to terms that I find festivals overall bloody hard work. 

It felt so constantly ridiculously busy all the time, with people dawdling and generally lacking spacial awareness on a large scale. Perhaps the searing heat made me a bit more irritable. 

I've spent a while trying to find the magic of it all, as sometimes it's hard when you're paying hand over mouth for a cheap burger, pressed up against people not moving for half an hour and dealing with that EE/lock ups debacle. If Glastonbury was a national service we'd probably be protesting its privatisation. 

All that said, I did see some great sets. The Killers were note perfect, Sports Team blew me away and Slowthai was messy as anything. 

Then there are those moments of sheer joy where you do get it. I decided to wonder up to the hill to try and see the sunrise this morning and it was so calm, peaceful and serene. Just beautiful. And the roads were pretty much deserted. Compared to the Wednesday when I could barely move and you're just sitting there watching people do all sorts. I really do find it a festival of extremes and I can't quite work out if I love it or not! 

To be fair I didn't encounter any dick heads as such, everyone seemed to keep to themselves. Sometimes I do wonder whether anyone who applied for Love Island but didn't quite make it gets a complimentary ticket. 

Didn't get a ticket this time and spent all weekend low level sad but enjoying peoples accounts. I always find that the day after isn't the best time to evaluate though.

Also interesting to hear about people hanging up their boots. I was there after 2015. Didnt really enjoy it that much, full of dickheads, etc...didnt bother in 2016 and was worried about 2017 being the same, but it turned into my favourite year!

Of all the years to miss, this is probably one of the best. A lineup that didn't really appeal to me and the blazing weather. That said, i still wish i was there!

34 minutes ago, gratefulbread said:

Definitely noticed more chiseled waxed chested fitness enthusiasts this year over any other. Going to have to work on my muscles for next year. 

There were also a massive amount of girls/ladies wearing next to nothing, ie pant style hotpants and no bra but a camisole type of thing seemed to be all the rage...unless that's 'always been the case and I am just getting old lol 

I have struggled this year in ways that I hadn't before at Glasto, nor any other festival really. The heat was tough on Saturday and next time I'm tempted to do ecstasy, someone just fucking slap me.

Sunday however made me realize once again why I love this place so much. Kylie and Miley from the back of the Pyramid field was huge (Old Town Road!) and the Cure were ace. Then spent a good part of my night in that little tea tent in the Healing Fields with ~100 people singing tunes to piano and sax. Capped the night at 05:30 in the Underground Piano Bar. 

Now hungover af on the way back to Manchester, but will surely try for tickets come October. Bring it on 2020 ?

• Upvote 1

Some things I have noticed this year.

- Are people over the Stone Circle nowadays. Barely seen any photos posted from there, majority are above the Park at the sign or above the teepee's.

- Not seen much posted of the revamped Shangri La at all, seen a few of the artworks, some new, some reused. Barely heard anything positive about that new zone or any of the things they put on around that way?

- Also is the silent disco in the Park area gone now, we used to frequent that a lot.

Not sure if was just me this year but the crowd seemed to have more people in the sort of late 30's to late 40's age range than ever before. Remember noticing it first in 2017. It certainly didn't feel a young crowd....

Presumably Boomtown has dented the number of late teens/early 20's crowd at Glastonbury.