Janelle Monae

kalifire

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Anyone who was at the 2011 show care to compare the two?

It was ace, we were right near the front. Got talking to a bunch of people around us and had an absolute blast. I was dithering over Bob & Co but having felt an underwhelming Saturday of Chems/Hot Chip, went for the safe option. 

No regrets, but having watched it back, it probably wasn’t to the level of 2011. That’s probably due to me preferring the music she was playing at the time. The only criticism I can level at her is that she’s just falling short with her last couple of albums. 2011 was top 5 GOAT at Pilton for me. This was good but not at that level.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I saw both, but it's been many years since I watched the '11 show.  I remember that being my set of the weekend, and this would have been had Lizzo not been on the day before.

Broadly similar concept, though perhaps fewer numbers of dancers on stage.  More colour, less monochrome, and she was more overt with her messaging re politics and sexuality.

Both fantastic shows.

On 7/1/2019 at 9:13 PM, barkley87 said:

They've become a bit iconic since she wore them in one of her videos.

This was us in our labia hats during pynk! ?? Saw her at Manchester on Thurs too and positioned ourselves right in the middle about 20 people back so when she came into the crowd she came straight to us! It was incredible! 

DSC_0127_2.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 7/9/2019 at 8:02 AM, CaledonianGonzo said:

Both great shows.  This one perhaps a bit tighter - a bit more 'Michael' or 'Janet' in their prime.  A bit less jazzy.
2011 was (literally at times) ABC / I want you back.  2019 was more Thriller.

Can't say how privileged I feel to have seen both those sets.

I was watching a bit back just now, and what struck me is how perfect her vocals are, despite all the choreography.  She has truly incredible breath control.  A whole bunch of performers need to try and work out how she manages that.  

Edited by whateverman

On 7/9/2019 at 6:53 PM, Wooderson said:

The '11 show didnt have that climactic ending.

Christ, that ending. I think the whole field was in love with her at that point. God knows what she screamed down the camera, it didn't really matter, it was all other-wordly by that stage.

• Upvote 1

Still haven't gotten over this show. The energy of Janelle was out of this world.

I do wish the crowd would be a little more unhinged though. Manye people close to the stage were stood just watching instead of dancing/singing/getting involved.

How does "if you try to grab my pussy cat, my pussy grab you back" not get a rousing singalong?

31 minutes ago, Anarion said:

Still haven't gotten over this show. The energy of Janelle was out of this world.

I do wish the crowd would be a little more unhinged though. Manye people close to the stage were stood just watching instead of dancing/singing/getting involved.

How does "if you try to grab my pussy cat, my pussy grab you back" not get a rousing singalong?

I was a bit further back, people were much more into it .

I knew none of her tunes, I got the impression it was similar around me too. People were into it, but we seemed like new converts, rather than existing fans

6 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I was a bit further back, people were much more into it .

I knew none of her tunes, I got the impression it was similar around me too. People were into it, but we seemed like new converts, rather than existing fans

Whilst it is great when everyone knows stuff and sings along there is also something a little (lot) magical about being so blown away by the performance of something you don't know well that it becomes one of the best things you've ever seen. Doesn't happen often in a lifetime. 

58 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Whilst it is great when everyone knows stuff and sings along there is also something a little (lot) magical about being so blown away by the performance of something you don't know well that it becomes one of the best things you've ever seen. Doesn't happen often in a lifetime. 

I agree. As a performer, she is in my top 3 that  I have ever seen. Cracks my top 5 Glastonbury sets ever too.