Janelle Monae

kalifire

I went along cos lost people on the way to pyramid as I was gonna risk The Cure. I actually wanted to go to Chris but had seen her earlier in the year and other stage can he a bit shite if you're on your tod as well. 

So ended up at Janelle. Absolutely magnificent and even though I was a bit fomo at the beginning I knew I'd made another right decision. 

Vintage year this. The stars just aligned. 

That was an amazing set, so glad I chose to see her.  Her and her band totally killed it and topped off by her coming into the crowd and dancing right next to me at the end.  If you watch it back I am in the bright yellow/orange hawaiian shirt.  Incredible!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Maurice Mecca said:

That was an amazing set, so glad I chose to see her.  Her and her band totally killed it and topped off by her coming into the crowd and dancing right next to me at the end.  If you watch it back I am in the bright yellow/orange hawaiian shirt.  Incredible!

what happened to her in there, did she rub dirt on her face or something?

Saw her last night at Wembley Arena as I knew I'd see the Cure on Sunday and managed to get tickets for half price. Wasn't close to being sold out (I'd say standing was maybe a third full) but my word it was exceptional. She was stood 6 feet from me during Come Alive and even ended up lying on the floor. Incredible and just the pick-me-up I needed just as I was starting to get post-Glastonbury blues.

Edited by aidenlangan95

28 minutes ago, mazola said:

what happened to her in there, did she rub dirt on her face or something?

I wondered about that too- was a bit too far back to see her well when she went into the crowd. Absolutely amazing though and a real highlight!

2 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Tomorrow night can't come soon enough ???

Yep can't wait for it. Decided not to go and see her because we were going tomorrow. I knew she would be awesome but I was also pleasantly surprised by The Cure. Their sound was magnificent and I would probably never have gotten to see them otherwise. We also had loads of space to dance as well which was good because my feet were fucked at that point if I stood still. 

Along with Big Michael, this good lady provided the rare moment of the weekend when being ticketless was properly devastating. At this point she’s clearly never going to obtain the global megastar status she richly deserves, but I still live in hope that she one day performs the Pyramid sub slot to end all Pyramid sub slots. Or at the very least returns to the Farm before another eight years have passed, this time.

6 hours ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Along with Big Michael, this good lady provided the rare moment of the weekend when being ticketless was properly devastating. At this point she’s clearly never going to obtain the global megastar status she richly deserves, but I still live in hope that she one day performs the Pyramid sub slot to end all Pyramid sub slots. Or at the very least returns to the Farm before another eight years have passed, this time.

She should have headlined the place, let alone west holts. About to watch this for the 3rd time on iplayer. I feel privileged to have been at the West Holts on Sunday.

1 minute ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

She should have headlined the place, let alone west holts.

Cant disagree with that but I’m at the same time thrilled she got a rapturous crowd that appreciated her instead. Will hopefully convince her to want to come back soon, which looking out to a sea of bemused Pyramid dwellers might not have done.

4 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Cant disagree with that but I’m at the same time thrilled she got a rapturous crowd that appreciated her instead. Will hopefully convince her to want to come back soon, which looking out to a sea of bemused Pyramid dwellers might not have done.

Thats fair, but - I cant claim to have been a fan previously. I hadnt heard of her until she was announced. I looked her up on youtube and liked the performances Id seen on there.

2 tunes in on Sunday, Im dancing about like I know every word.

My mates were not too fussed who to see, then she had us all in the palm of her hand for 90 mins.

Im confident she'd have done the same on the Pyramid

8 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Thats fair, but - I cant claim to have been a fan previously. I hadnt heard of her until she was announced. I looked her up on youtube and liked the performances Id seen on there.

2 tunes in on Sunday, Im dancing about like I know every word.

My mates were not too fussed who to see, then she had us all in the palm of her hand for 90 mins.

Im confident she'd have done the same on the Pyramid

Ah I see, well that’s just wonderful Fuzzy, pretty much the same journey I went on with her via V Fest 2014 by the sounds of it :)  She really is terrific, especially The Electric Lady album, and her acting chops are nothing to be sniffed at either.

Been on  cycling trip in Belgium since Glastonbury so just watched this back now. Confirmed what a classic performance this was; her, the dancers, everything. Was mostly excited for Django Jane but so much else was just as good.....one of my best gigs for sure. 

Missed this for the Cure. Watched back on iPlayer and loved it - such a great show and she’s really developed her live performance since I last saw her a few years ago. Really hope she releases a couple of hit singles and can come back and headline the place like she deserves. Make me feel and Come alive were particular highlights