Best surprise set of the weekend

Riggins

51 minutes ago, tevaburger said:

I left at Soak Up The Sun (I think) and dashed it up quickly to the Park for the start of Promise of the Real. Both were fab sets, Promise of the Real in particular. 

In a funny similar twist of fate, they are both playing on Day one of Newport Folk Festival (July 26) which I'm going to and they've just released stage times and this time, Promise of The Real play 410 to 510 on one stage, while Sheryl Crow is 440 to 545 elsewhere....trying to figure out my split this time... 

That’s exactly when I left, knew there was one more big banger to come (probably my favourite too) but felt I’d heard enough and was in a mood to move quickly. Very glad I did. Well at least next time you can start with Lukas and finish with Sheryl, same setlists would be ideal too. 

Stella Donnely at the Crow's Nest was such a revelation. I was familiar with some songs but she was awesome and she stayed there to chat after the show. Also, Michael Kiwanuka blew me away but I knew that the potential was there. 

3 hours ago, e2p2 said:

Stella Donnely at the Crow's Nest was such a revelation. I was familiar with some songs but she was awesome and she stayed there to chat after the show. Also, Michael Kiwanuka blew me away but I knew that the potential was there. 

I haven't heard anyone watch Stella Donnelly and not be blown away by her. She's a class act. 

On 7/10/2019 at 10:49 PM, SighMo said:

LINNES at the Bread and Roses bar look like a good prospect; really short songs but full of energy. Also loved the drag act on after; did a great version of Moonage Daydream. Can’t remember his name but he was from Trowbridge. 

This post has made me realise that I have marked LINNES wrong on my scores. I now remember catching the last song or 2 of theirs before the drag act. It was the drag act I didn't like. I usually love that type of act but wasn't really liking the atmosphere and found them a bit too confrontational.

4 minutes ago, ourkid1984 said:

This post has made me realise that I have marked LINNES wrong on my scores. I now remember catching the last song or 2 of theirs before the drag act. It was the drag act I didn't like. I usually love that type of act but wasn't really liking the atmosphere and found them a bit too confrontational.

Agreed, he was quite cutting; when I left before the end he gave me some stick as I walked out the side entrance. I was too tired to respond. Did like his songs though.

10 minutes ago, SighMo said:

Agreed, he was quite cutting; when I left before the end he gave me some stick as I walked out the side entrance. I was too tired to respond. Did like his songs though.

I felt bad for him as it just wasn't the right crowd for him. We were in the tent at first but then sat outside where there was quite a large crowd who seemed intent on causing trouble so left before the end.

7 minutes ago, ourkid1984 said:

I felt bad for him as it just wasn't the right crowd for him. We were in the tent at first but then sat outside where there was quite a large crowd who seemed intent on causing trouble so left before the end.

I was only there to catch LIINES as I'd heard one song on 6Music and was going to leave after but a guy who was promoting the acts offered me a voucher for a free drink so I hung around and did enjoy it even though I couldn't stay right to the end.

4 minutes ago, SighMo said:

I was only there to catch LIINES as I'd heard one song on 6Music and was going to leave after but a guy who was promoting the acts offered me a voucher for a free drink so I hung around and did enjoy it even though I couldn't stay right to the end.

With the drinks prices that was a good deal. LINNES are good and I wish I'd got there quicker after the Cure. Like you I would see them if they came to Southampton.

Swimming girls were amazing...

Dat Brass had me jumping around before I even knew who I was jumping around to,

But the Cure blew me away. I wasn't a fan, I knew a few songs, but from the moment they came on I was in the palm of a hand. The memories of that set will stay with me til the end. I get emotional even thinking about it. Magic!!

Gerry Cinnamon, I guess. Knew he was a big thing bubbling under the mainstream radar and can't get a ticket for him here as he sells out in seconds. WEnt along a little agnostic to the whole thing, but was blown away. I now get what the fuss is about. I would love to see him high up on Other next time; think the fella would put on a party easy 

10 minutes ago, srb said:

Gerry Cinnamon, I guess. Knew he was a big thing bubbling under the mainstream radar and can't get a ticket for him here as he sells out in seconds. WEnt along a little agnostic to the whole thing, but was blown away. I now get what the fuss is about. I would love to see him high up on Other next time; think the fella would put on a party easy 

Good shout. JP was too small for him but as far as the eye could see the atmosphere was electric. We got there early and saw Swimming girls and She drew the gun so we had a good spot for Gerry. He is always so humble. I'm seeing him again in 2 weeks.

Just now, Curlygirl said:

Good shout. JP was too small for him but as far as the eye could see the atmosphere was electric. We got there early and saw Swimming girls and She drew the gun so we had a good spot for Gerry. He is always so humble. I'm seeing him again in 2 weeks.

Exactly. Load of mates from Glasgow so get the lingo and humour in his lyrics. Class he is doing well, starting to inspire the young team to pick up guitars so that is a huge positive. We were stationed outside right as couldn't get into the tent 30 mins before. A lot of repsect for how he has gone about things, pretty old school really 

25 minutes ago, srb said:

Exactly. Load of mates from Glasgow so get the lingo and humour in his lyrics. Class he is doing well, starting to inspire the young team to pick up guitars so that is a huge positive. We were stationed outside right as couldn't get into the tent 30 mins before. A lot of repsect for how he has gone about things, pretty old school really 

I need to watch it back on Iplayer to see if that little lad on the barrier sang along to some of the naughtier lyrics :D But yeah, Gerry has done all of this himself and he should be bloody proud of himself. I lived in Glasgow for a good few years and have family up there so I fell in love with his music the minute I heard it on youtube. I love that he doesn't try to change his accent.

58 minutes ago, srb said:

I came across Gerry Cinnamon (well his supporters anyway) when I was in Camden last year to see RBCF. Went in the Bridge pub (?) for a pint to find the whole place inside and out was mobbed by Scots. There was a great vibe going and I had a couple of beers with a couple of fans who very nearly talked me into ditching my planned gig and going with them. Anyway, I left there and dived into another pub for a pee on the way to the Electric Ballroom; this place was also busy with GC fans.

We went to the JP tent to see She Drew the Gun but I thought I'd hang around to see catch some of the GC hype. Was about 5 or 6 from the front and the atmosphere was great although the red flares were choking everyone a bit. To be honest it wasn't really  my thing but I can see how loved he is and I'm sure he could fill the Other Stage field in the future.

9 minutes ago, Curlygirl said:

I had to google RBCF... It comes up as Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever. Is that who you mean?

Sorry....yes, that's the ones. Seen 'em live a couple of times now; they were good at Green Man last year.